Getting out of the sport. Please help me

S

Saratoga

You guys are brutal. If someone wants to quit riding why let it bother you? I am surprised that some people are so offended.

In my riding career I have taken three friends to the hospital, and watched two get loaded in an ambulance. I called three of thier wives. Three of the five broke an arm or leg. The other two are paralyzed for life.

Getting out while you can still play golf is not so dumb. It is arguably smarter than all of us who ignore the risks and ride. I keep saying one more season but I simply cannot give up what I love to do.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Saratoga -- I don't think anyone was bothered by the decision. KWJ just thought our chains were being jerked since we've seen the same before. The rest were just pointing out that there are options between MX'ing and quitting dirtbiking that might allow the guy to still do what he loves without much of the danger.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
When I read this----------

Getting out of the sport. Please help me

I did not think that it was a post about things for sale.

Hey guys. This will most likely be my last thread to start on DRN. I have decided to get out of the sport. I guess I have gotten tired of all the injures and all the medical bills that I have had to pay. I don't really have the time to do it and to my surprise I don't really have the desire any more. (never though that would happen).

To me it was a plea for help.

What is the right thing to do here?

"Give in and go along with him giving up--------- mothering him? Like we did with that one kid whose Mother we agreed was so mean because she told him to practice when it was cold."

Or be a hard ass!

I went to sleep last night worrying about a fellow DRN member who sounded like he was going through a crisis and the last thing he may need was to be coddled.

When I woke up this morning I remembered his post from last year. Only thing is I bet he went back to MX instead of following all the advice we gave him about trail riding and having fun.

I had started riding and about 4 monts later I had a compund fracture of my collar bone. I then decided enough is enough. I figure the thrill isnt worth the pain. I may be a puss but hey I know when somthing hurts. My dad has seen that I did try to keep riding just for him but it wasent the same. So he said I will support you in whatever you do. I told him I would rather follow what I am best at, Computers, and networking.

After he explained his intentions I responded;

Irish.......
I will support you in what ever you decide, I respect you for having the 'nads to do what you have done after all that you have been through.

Life is full of regrets, decide on the path you take from deliberation not emotions.

Sounds like you have done that.

Good Luck,
Your Friend,
KWJams

Nuff said!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The other two are paralyzed for life

If I had two riding buddies with that result, I doubt I'd still be riding.

It's all just a matter of riding within your abilities. I will not ride over my head to beat anyone. I've got my comfort level and I only push it a little and not all the time; I pick my spots. If I'm having a good day and I'm focused, I'll go out on a limb, my fun comes from nailing tough sections of the track, better momentum thru corners, etc. Occasionally, I get lucky and turn a decent lap. The big air is for the young ones and those with two good knees (and even some older ones with no knees (AJ) or older ones who are just out of their mind (OT <-- who just happens to be recovering from a season-ending knee injury/surgery).

On days that I feel like I shouldn't even own a motorcycle (it happens), I just putt around. I get a rush from pushing MY level, not passing someone who is comfortably faster than me. Funny thing about age... competition isn't always about beating someone else, it becomes more about pushing yourself to go a little faster than you did last week, nail a corner better than you ever have, maybe spanking a young one that loves to go big, but can't turn to save his life ;) <--- seems to happen a lot these days; thank FMX.

Yes, I ride with guys that are a LOT faster than me, so I get passed a lot :scream: The beauty? I ride with guys that have been racing FOREVER, won many titles, been there, done that. Guess what? They KNOW what riding is about. TRUELY fast guys will never dog you for not being “fast”. Fact is, you ride, that's all that matters.

I'm guessing that most serious injuries are a result of people doing things they have no business doing. I watch the C Class ... people flying all over the place. Oh yeah, they have the guts to hit the big triple, but have NO control what-so-ever. Where they land, nobody knows; probably on someone. You don’t have to do nac-nacs over 120’ gaps to be a good rider and have fun.

Racing MX
If you are a "grown-up" , NEVER let anyone tell you that you have to enter the C Class! Go straight to B or the age classes. Yeah, you may get smoked in the +30 or +40, B Class, etc., but, you'll be riding with people that Can ride. I know I prefer to ride with guys that have more than one season under their belts. Hey, you can ride D-17 with wardy in the +40 and get roosted like you would not believe :scream: , BUT, you don't have to worry about getting taken-out (unless you’re in the points LOL).... Do you really need to win to have fun? Having some kid with bigger nads than brain land on me is not my idea of fun.

I get all the fun I need from riding with my buds. Yeah, we rub plastic sometimes, but we'd never do anything that would get anyone hurt. We all have different skill levels and it doesn't matter, we ride within our abilities and are always (well, most of the time) under control. We all ride, we all have fun. Hanging out between "moto's" in the pits, bench racing, shooting the ****, etc....That's what it all about. Unless you are really young, hanging-it-all-out is not.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Bottom line--house payment, car payment, wife, 3 kids. When it's no longer fun, and it's about being the fastest it's time to get out.
All this responsibility has a way of bringing things into perspective- I do this for fun, not to impress people.
Take it from us 'old' guys- give up on the big air, and concentrate on the fun factor, and the time spent with others doing what you all love.
I think all of these guys have made some good points for you to ponder. And yes, take a break, just park the bike for a year, then see if you still feel this way.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
how to tell when it's time to quit racing mx:

when you can't go over to the guy that just beat you and talk and laugh about your race.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
We must remember what this is all about...HAVING FUN!

And if the pain outweighs the fun, then I can see where you are discouraged.

I have always said that I would never quit riding dirt bikes, but at this point I'm not sure. This season I have gone from riding three times a week to riding once every three weeks. You could say I am "burnt out". I have been riding for 21 years, so of course I am starting to notice the toll on my knees and back. It's still fun when I go, so I am not quitting yet, but definitely slowing down. Maybe if I go to dirt week my interest will increase again.

Backing down to casual trail riding from MX is a good suggestion, but doesn't work for all people. Some folks have an "all or nothing" attitude, and don't have fun riding at 80% of their ability. I know personally, woods riding is fun but if I can't find at least a small jump occasionally, I go thru jump withdrawal.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Go ahead and show them you mean it Irish MXer. Sell me your msr gear really cheap.:D You should keep the boots because after you get the urge to ride again they will still fit. The pants are another story after you've been sitting in front of a computer for a while you need to get a size 44. I know from experience when I quit riding I wore a size 36 but when I started again I needed a size 40. that was one long month.:o Just kidding it was actually three years.:confused:

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, I've had the same doubts. I've only been riding on and off for 3 years, full time for only 1 1/2. I finally got injured seriously for my first time. I hit a plateau in my riding and can't seem to get past it. I bought a new bike that is a huge step up from my old one. I get smoked in the women's class by 14 year olds on 80s. I have raced maybe 10-12 times counting winter indoor races, hare scrambles and a mx or two and it wasn't until this spring that I DNF-ed. Twice this year I have hurt myself--once with a torn elbow, and now I'm sitting here with a torn knee. Thank God you HAVE insurance--I can't even go to the doctor right now to find out what's wrong! I will probably have to have surgery and may not be able to ride for a few months.

So, I have instead been reading all the how-to articles I can find in magazines, reading a friend's Gary Semics book over and over, and pestering everyone I can find online. I know that once I get back on the bike I am going to continue in my riding with even more vigor despite injuries. I have 2 less than perfect knees now, as do many here, and will ride anyway. My mom keeps pestering me to sell the bike and give it up. But you couldn't pay me to get out of this sport.

Trust everyone who says you will miss it--you WILL. You are still young. Keep the bike and take some time off for school and work, and maybe after high school or after college you will hear someone talking about dirt bikes or happen to drive by a dealership or channel surf past a race on TV and go "Yeah, it's time to ride." This sport gets into your blood and you will never be the same. So when you get tired of Mundania, you can come back to riding.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Buy a fly wheal weight and change your name to IrishWoodsRider. In the woods you don't have to be in 3rd gear pinned to clear the jump and you can go as slow as you want. Not saying that you will never get hurt in the woods but if you take it slow the chances will be MUCH less than motocross.

LoP

Jun 17, 2001
good luck

dont really understand dropping riding for pc's?? That is like comparing apples to...you guessed it oranges. I work for AMD in IT..if you need a hookup on your newly found passion give me an email. kjordon@pacbell.net

Maybe we can err..trade some of your cooooool stuff for what is work to me...

KJ

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've never raced a MX. I have ridden enduros and cross country races though and have to say that I have thought about quitting. Usually it's at around mile 80 of an enduro. When I lose the desire it'll be easy.
It's to expensive and dangerous of a hobby if your not confident its what you want to do.
Racing vs. Riding. Probably one of the funnest days of riding I had was a day that bwsift, mx547, sawblade and others met for a day of trail riding. It was a blast. Except for bswift, no one crashed hard (its part of his nature) . Great day of riding. I doubt that days like that would ever lose thier appeal.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
(its part of his nature)

Just when did I become "Except for bswift, no one crashed hard ". I didn't enjoy that but I do have to laugh at it. I'm glad that it wasn't worst. That was one cool ride even with my handstand. There was that mud hole incident Justql, good thing you weren't wearing your new gear on that one.
Laughing with your buds makes the aches and pains a bit more tolerable. Irish, get yourself one of the small blue deisels and slow down, do some trail riding and stay away from the tracks for awhile.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
Probably one of the funnest days of riding I had was a day that bwsift, mx547, sawblade and others met for a day of trail riding. It was a blast. Great day of riding. I doubt that days like that would ever lose thier appeal.

that was a fun ride, wasn't it? we'll have to make that a regular thing. maybe get a mini-spodefest going in october or november. perhaps irish should come ride with us before he quits. he's not too far away.

bswift, i like your new signature.:)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
perhaps irish should come ride with us before he quits

Excellent idea, MX547. Irish, hold on to everything for just a bit longer. It won't cost you anything. After DW01, we will get together. If we can't put the fun back into your riding NO ONE can. If your lucky, you may get to see me try the "kiss of death" with Sawblade, no charge.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Firecracker ! go to the doc ! " they've a payment plan from hell!

$©50 on the dollar for gear if in in good condation post it and it will sell! as for the bike no Idea? sounds trick though© hope you heal up straight & pain free© I my self took 13yrs off© when you get the calling, there will be other bikes to buy and ride© good luck

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Irish,
Why get out? Who says you have to race to be in the sport? If you enjoy riding why does it matter if you ride every day or once a month? (Trust me I have been on both ends of that spectrume and the middle is the best):D . Everybody I know has been injured riding to some degree it IS part of the game but it's also part of the fun when you don't. I think perhaps you need to sit back and really consider what your doing and why. Maybe you should attend the AMSA meeting with me tomorrow evening? It may give you a whole new outlook on the sport and what you want out of it. There are A LOT of really good people to just ride with of all levels in the club so if you want to go slow or fast, ride woods or track I am sure you will find many that will renew your intrest. Heck you could always give trials a shot! You just down the road from some of the best in the state.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Let's face facts people. Motorcycles are dangerous. :eek:

There aren't many of us here that haven't had some sort of injury from riding. I am always amazed at seeing riders nearly twice my age still out there enjoying the sport. I hope to still be able to enjoy this sport when I'm 70. :cool:

B

biglou

Very interesting thread.

Originally posted by mx547
how to tell when it's time to quit racing mx:

when you can't go over to the guy that just beat you and talk and laugh about your race.

Exactly! I just raced my first official MX race three weeks ago. 250 Beginner Class, 13 riders. There was one other guy, my size, on a CR250, that I battled with for all of both motos. We were at exactly the same skill level. We rubbed tires a couple times. I almost went down in a corner once. He got me both motos. The prize? 3rd to last for him, 2nd to last for me! Afterwards I went over and thanked him for making the experience so much fun for me. At least we had each other to do battle with rather than riding painfully slow and alone way off the back of the pack.:oHe replied in kind. He also added that he really wanted me to get by in the second moto, but he wasn't going to give it away! Plus, there was one guy slower than the both of us! To me, that's racing. And riding. Sharing a great time with friends you've never met before. At a team harescramble yesterday I was helping the guy parked next to us fix a flat rear tire. He commented "This is what is so great about this sport. Everyone helps everyone else out. People give away plugs, tools, even gas to complete strangers."
That is what I love about this sport.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom