Getting out of the sport. Please help me

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
Hey guys. This will most likey be my last thread to start on DRN. I have decided to get out of the sport. I guess I have gotten tired of all the injures and all the medical bills that I have had to pay. I dont really have the time to do it and to my supprise I dont really have the desire any more. (never though that would happen). Well I just wanted to know what yall think I could get for EVERTHING that I own dirt bike related. Here are the specs.

00' Honda CR 250
One Industries technoflex graphics/ seat cover
Renthal Twinwall's bars.
New Acerbics Plastic
New acerbics hand guards
stock everthing else.
There is probly 30 hours on the bike.
The gear I am selling is as follows:
Full set of the good fox 02 gear color red/ size 40 pants and xxl shirt.
01' MSR system 6 gear black. size 40 and XXL shirt
02 fox airframe chest protector.
Size 14 Alpine stars Tech 6's
full sets of gloves
3 pairs of ockley/spy/msr goggles
5 Gallon race gas jug
Extra set of TAG X-5 bars ( gold)
Extra set of plastic with stock graphics on them.
this bike is in great condition and I really dont have the time and money to maintain it any more. How much do you think I could get for all this stuff. I havent payed attention to the MX market since I had my last accident (10 monts ago) Thanks for all your help.

THIS IS NOT MENT TO SELL THE BIKE!!!!! I know the propper forum to post that in. Please just appraise this for me. I am needing a Dual athlon system and I need to get an idea of my assets. Thanks for your help

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Sorry to hear you no longer have the desire to ride. I bet after a year or less away you start getting the urge again. Have all your riding buddies left the sport as well because it's not just about the riding it's also about the competition and comraderie between friends. But if you really plan on leaving the sport let me know what you want for the MSR gear. It's just my size. To bad I just bought the exact same boots or I'd be interested in them as well. And if you reconsider and want to make a trip out to CA to check out the sand dunes let me know. That may just be the ticket for you, a change of scenery. Besides the sand hurts less when you crash. ;)

Last edited:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
For less than $5 bucks

---you can get a big can of whimper cream to rub on your 'owies :eek:

If you bought all that gear just to impress people then you need to get out!

Sell it ?? No way -----Just give it away!

I would bet that 80% of the members out there would cut their right ___ off to have half the stuff you have listed there, you have probably haven't even sweated in it.

If you sit on a couch the rest of your life, will you then sell the couch because of the clogged arteries and poor health.

Living hurts!
You bought all that stuff because you have a burning desire to prove to yourself that you have what it takes to LIVE BIG!
Irish,
Enough of this talk,,,,
Get out and ride!
Ride with-in your abilities and enjoy the special feeling that only dirt bikes can give you.

I will gladly compare medical bills with you. :)

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
hahah I have been riding since I was 2. My dad funded my riding until I was 12 and then I had to buy my own stuff. I have raced all my liife. Yes the gear has been sweated in. So far I have had over 100,000 in medical bills. I ended up breaking my leg, and femur in a total of 15 different places in a bad crash on a 80ft tripple. I dont know if you would want to ride after that but I did. Do you know what that kink of pain is? Do you know what it is like to wake up after sugurey and just scream because the 30 pins on your leg make you want to die? I think not. I rode after that and I broke my collarbone and I just decided that I have had enought. I rode both 125 and 250. I mainly liked 125 better that is why my CR dosent have many hours on it. I have raced a lot KWJames. Right now I am a junior in highschool and I have almost 0 time to do things, right now I go to school at 6 and get off at 7 because I build server closets and servers for a local company. I have decided to follow my true passion which is computers. Sorry if you think I am just a "wanna be" in your eyes but I and I alone know who and what I am. Yes living hurts but hey I would rather the least ammout of pain possible. I too have seen my share of riders come and go, I just need to know what yall think I can get for my stuff. If it makes you feel any better I dont try to "Live big" in any way, heh I drive a 2.5 leader 4cyl 97 ford ranger :o I feel like I have enjoyed the special feelings that dirtbikes give and have felt the not so good special feelings that dirtbikes have. At my last race we sat on the starting gate for over an hour as a guy was air lifted off the track. That almost made me cry. I just knew that I couldent have that happend again. Thanks for your help

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Thank you----

You just made my point that I have been trying to make about how detrimental tracks with monster jumps are to our sport!

Give up racing --maybe!
Never give up riding!

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Irish, the racing is exciting, the riding is fun. Maybe you should consider goin riding with some buddy. No competition just a fun ride thru the forests, i bet itll change your mind.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
I understand where you are coming from. I also got out of riding during my high school years. During that time I also was very heavy into computers, building my own, building for others, fixing for others, etc... For years, all my extra time was spent lost in a computer monitor. After you get older, more mature, and get sick of computers (you will trust me), you will get the urge to enjoy the outdoors again. My friends and I just ride for the recreation and to just get outside. There is nothing like finding and exploring new trails and territories. Because of your MX accidents, definitely give up the MX, but you can always enjoy a more leisurely trail ride. It's unforturnate, but you won't get anything near what your stuff is worth, especially for the gear that you sweated in. I recommend keeping the stuff around for a while. One day, you will be glad you did. Good luck, and stay out of hospital.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Whoa---wait a minute

It is all coming back to me now---like a foggy memory. ;)

We have been here before,,,,,,,,, haven't we Irish?

Wasn't it about a year ago you posted a thread along the same line---I am so wadded up I can never find the courage to ride again and I am selling my bike --- blah-blah?? :)

Everyone honestly was moved by your sincerity and offered tons of well wishes and advice.

Are you the same Irish?

Are you jerking our chain for some kind of personal pleasure?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
WHAT??!!??

A while back the A.M.A. did a survey to see which catagory of motorcyclists were the most (or least) satisfied with their hobby.

Guess which was the least? beep! wrong.

It was motocross. (which explains all these '00 & '01 motoxers for sale out there....) :think

Nothing wrong with trying motox, but its just the TIP of the motorcycling iceberg.
I've seen too many people who get caught up in the mx/sx fantasy, go buy a new bike, allthe accesories, and about a thousand grickles worth of "gear".
Then when they find out its NOT 95% bike 5% rider they get ticked off cause it takes practice and hard work and sell everything and never ride a bike again.

Foolishness!
Balderdash!!
There are many things to do on 2 wheels.
Enduros.
Hare scrambles.
Poker runs.
Dual sport.
Trials. (well dont try that CR250 on this one. get a different bike):eek:
Cowtrailing. ( my fav for 30 years now)
even street riding (cuiser / sportbike / touring)
Motorcycling is FUN above all else.
This modern mx/sx popularity thing is bleeding all the fun out of our sport.
If you like it, and have FUN at it...........go for it!! And more power to you! ;)
But if you're crashing, being pressured into it, or just doing it because it's the cool thing to do and all your buds are doing it.......get out!
Try something else. (enduro, just ride for fun, etc.)
But if you basicly like motorcycling, dont give it up.
It's a great pastime, and if you give it up totally you will miss many years of fun and enjoyment. (even to share with your children someday....)
Think about it before you put up the "for sale" sign.

ps: uh does anyone know what balderdash means??? :confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good post OAS. Irish, sell the bike and the bike specific gear and keep the rest. What these guys are telling you is what a bunch of us have had happen to us.
If you sell EVERYTHING, you WILL regret it someday. That SOMEDAY will likely be sooner than you think. Give up the MX. I wish I had been able to MX at you age but my folks said, "NO WAY!" Now that I am older, I just dream about it, a dream lost to my age. However, age makes you wiser. I ride better now than at 18 and I pick my risks much better. Besides the chance of injuries, I think about the fact that I HAVE to go to work on Monday to pay the bills. MX is a great sport but not the only way to have fun on two wheels.
I suffered my first and only serious motorcycle injury at age 35 and I was riding as soon as I could swing my cast over the bike! I can't speak for others but the little aches and pains, bruises and scratches are worth it for the thrill that I get while riding. Better yet, I've met some great people riding bikes and would not want to miss out on that.
KWJ speaks his mind and I HOPE you took his comments appropriately. KWJ and others are "Kick-in-the-pants" motivators. Everyone that I know, myself included, have needed a "kick-in-the-pants" to correct a drift in attitude.
In conclusion, if you want out, get out. No need to make a production about it. Take your bike and gear to the track and put up a sign, "Make me an OFFER". You'll get 40% of its worth and you'll be done. If you don't like that, come to DW01 for some "kick-in the- pants" motivation. First dibs guys!

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
Ok Irish. When selling a bike all the extras don't mean much to most people looking for a bike. They just sweeten the deal. Most folks don't wear a size 14 shoe or a XXl shirt, but this stuff can be resold by the potential buyer. I would think $4000 would be a fair price for everything. The 2002s are coming real soon so that bike will be 2 years old. Even if it only has 30 hours you can't prove that unless you have a hour meter of some kind on the bike. generally you can knock off $500-$1000 each year for depreciation. Best way to determine real market value is go to www.traderonline.com and see what the bike are going for. Good luck

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Thanks BSWIFT

I am offended that after we all put our hearts on our sleeves last year trying to help you,,,here we are playiing the same game--------again.

Drag the stuff out on the front lawn and yard sell it!

Gee, wasn't it something about being scared to tell your Dad after he bought you a new bike that you did not want to race anymore or something like that?

This is a dangerous sport, if you can't conqueor your fears then ---start making swishing noises when you walk! :eek:

If you did not want sympathy --then why all the bother mentioning medical bills and injuries??

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
irish.

Don't know what all of your gear will sell for, but, I do know that you will only get about 10% of what it will cost you to buy it all back again after you decide that nothing makes you giggle like motorcycles do.

Been there, done that. Several years ago, I came home after a tour on the midwest and Eastern dirttracks. Arrived in California with a van full of worn out and bent dirttrackers. Had a broken collarbone and a chipped hip bone. Decided at that time that I was done with this sport, forever, HA!

Fast forward 25+ years later. Still riding, still loving it. Tried flying airplanes, racing cars, boats, even did some jumping competition on horses. Nothing, absolutely nothing, gave me the same thrill as motorcycles.

As others have suggested, don't give up the sport. Stop racing MX and try something else. Park everything for a while and come back to it. There are many different ways to enjoy motorcycles. See if there are some trail riders around your area. Stay off of those triples.

If you decide to go ahead and sell everything I will up MARK IT's offer to $12.00. Let me know.;)

Ken. Glad to see that the new medication is mellowing you out a little.:confused:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Medication??

knew there was something that I forgot --:scream:

Irish forgot to include pictures of starving children.

Last edited:

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Irish,

You could probably start at $4000 for the bike. I would try to set a fair price for everything else and piece it off. Use the prices you see in the different web boards for a price guide.

I'm a returning old guy and would suggest taking some time off, just park the bike. If you decide to ride again, it'll be there and at a much lower price, than trying to get back into the sport with nothing. I too get discouraged on riding, cost, injury, trying to find the time, etc, etc. But now that I live in the east and have to park my bike during the winter months. I find myself more than ready to ride after a couple of months off. I know it's hard to see tomorrow when your young but, try. Also as suggested, try a hare scramble or some other form of riding.

And while your taking the time off, maybe KWJ will grow up, take a vacation, or the administrator will have a talk to his moderator about the way he treats peple here. Man KWJ, what did this kid do to you? You sir, are out of line!

vetwfo'er

Last edited:

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
I think that 4k is a little high considering that a guy in Chicago is offering brand new 2001's for 4800 out the door. Figure it's a year older and used that takes quite a bit off

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
vetwfo'er

Thank you for the advice, I will consider it.

Irish, how about it, EH?

Tell everyone about the thread last year that went on for about four pages on this same subject.

Did we not as a community go above and beyond to support you when you were going to quit then?

If this thread is about selling your stuff then why ask --"Please help me" --in your post subject line and all the references to your pain and suffering?

Do you want help pricing stuff that you know what the value is?
Or do want a kick in the butt to get your head straight?

If you want, I can give you all the same concern and advice I gave you last year about not letting others pressure you into riding, go at your own pace, go trail riding etc.

I do not know,,,,,,maybe I am the only one here that is trying to talk sense into you and not just giving in to your quitting.

Irish MXer

May 15, 2000
talk all the "sence" you want into me but I have made up my mind. I am not clear as to the value of the things I own as I havent looked at the market lately. The bike I sold last was a 95 CR125 so there is quite a bit of difference. Yes I did make a post last year about my injusries and comming back to the sport. It really did inspire me to climb back into the saddle and the responce I receaved was very very touching, I had started riding and about 4 monts later I had a compund fracture of my collar bone. I then decided enough is enough. I figure the thrill isnt worth the pain. I may be a puss but hey I know when somthing hurts. My dad has seen that I did try to keep riding just for him but it wasent the same. So he said I will support you in whatever you do. I told him I would rather follow what I am best at, Computers, and networking. KWJ I have looked to you in the past for advice and will continue to as long as I read these forums. I know where I want to go. I feel like Its just time le let this one go. Now how about you apprasie my bike and let that be it? Thanks for all your help. (espically you vetwfo'er)

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Irish.......

I will support you in what ever you decide, I respect you for having the 'nads to do what you have done after all that you have been through.

Life is full of regrets, decide on the path you take from deliberation not emotions.

Sounds like you have done that. :(

Good Luck,
Your Friend,
KWJams

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Re: WHAT??!!??

Originally posted by OnAnySunday
A while back the A.M.A. did a survey to see which catagory of motorcyclists were the most (or least) satisfied with their hobby.

where can i see the results of this survey? it sounds interesting.

for the record, i have been racing mx for 15 years and i have no plans of stopping. the problem is not mx racing, it's taking mx racing too seriously.

Top Bottom