Getting ready to size up a bike...CRF 150??

NJP3

Jul 29, 2003
Ok, I have been riding for about a year now on my xr 100. But its getting rather small being that im 5' 9'', but only about 120lbs. Just turned 16, Im looking at the crf 150. I know what ur thinking 5'9 and on a xr 100?? But take into consideration that i am not very big, and I like having the smaller bike on the techinical trails. and have to pick it up after falls. Im pretty sure I wanna stick with 4-stroke. What do you guys think I should get?? Bigger? Smaller?

Thanx
NJ

maco

Apr 16, 2003
I ride technical trails also.The 100 is a billygoat and always gets you home.My wife road one here and went to the 150.This will be a jump in weight for you but it will fit you much better.It's not geared as low as the 100 but has more power.It tracks good with the additional weight in my opinion.WE had to dial it in for my wife.This ended up being soem jetting changes,aftermarket air filter,uncorking the baffle and snorkle on the airbox.The most expensive mod was investing in Race Tech emulators but worth every cent to increase fork suspension.For technical trails where you spend a lot of time in 1st,2nd and 3rd this would be a nice step up.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
If you are going to stick with a 4-stroke, a 150 is not that big of a step up. Go at least something like a CRF-230.

You will get used to handling a bigger bike rather quickly and feel alot more comfortable on it. trust me on this one.

also, 2strokes are fantastic. if you could get something like a kdx for trail riding it would be a great thing. check out a kawasaki kdx 200 2-stroke.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
ive ridden a CRF-150, and they dont have much power to them at all, and im only 150lbs, i think you should go with the 230, its a bigger jump but you wont regret it once you have it.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Thanks Tiylu.

You could get a KX100 instead of a KDX. It would be easier to throw around in tight trail and would have more power than a CRF150(duh). It's great in trails stock but even better when ported or mated with a pipe(portings cheaper and more affective). You may out grow this one so I would get a KDX since it could be your last bike and probably will unless you get power hungry and get a 450F. Your probably not like that if you had a XR100 and want a CRF150 and your 5'9". The KDX would be a big jump but in the right direction. I came off a RM80 and love it.

NJP3

Jul 29, 2003
Thanks for the help guys. Im worried about the weight of the 230, cuz im not very big and i think I would have trouble picking it up on uneven trails, but mabey, ill prolly grow some more by then too. Id get a two stroke but not sure if Im good enough to ride the tech stuff with the powerband and all. but ill look into it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by NJP3
Id get a two stroke but not sure if Im good enough to ride the tech stuff with the powerband and all. but ill look into it.

The two stroke KDX series Tiylu mentioned is designed as a trail machine and for tractoring along. The powerband will not be an issue. I think this is a very worthwhile bike to look into before spending your cash. Maybe take a tour through the Just KDX forum here as well to get a feel for the bike. I think you will get more versatility out of the KDX and greater performance down the road without the need to upgrade like you would have to with the CRF150.

Best of Luck.

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
I agree with all of the aforementioned. Last year, I was a 5'10" 110 lb. kid and I made the jump from a xr100 to a xr 250 and even though its bigger, haevier, its faster which is easy to make up for it. But my advise would be go for the 230, or a used xr 200 hondas are awesome(i dont want to start a brand war with that statement) Even though It makes sense you dont neccesarily have to step up one model at a time , you can jump around.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
About what Chili said, there's not much upgrading to a CRF or XR(don't know why they're calling then CRF cuz now it makes you think it has something to do with the 250F or 450F). The KDX has many mod's. The XR is a big and heavy bike for all the power it makes. Any 4 stroke will overheat and die in the woods when rode hard and the XR's are solid but in a safe slow kind of way.:)

Top Bottom