Giant KDX 220/ XR 400 shootout

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Not so giant. I have one of each and thought I'd do a comparison before I sold the 400. I have an XR 400 I bought new in '97 and a KDX 220 I bought new in Sept. '02. I ran them back to back over a ~10 mile course that is 75% tight single track, 15% sandy/soft 4-wheeler trail, and 10% fire road.
SPEED
I ran this course at what I call " enduo speed". This is a rate that can be maintained for 50-60 miles. I can run what I call " sprint", but can't maintain it for more than 15-20 miles, and have found that it isn't actually a whole lot faster when you take crashes into account.
BIKE PREP.
Honda-
The honda is nearly stock. I have opened up the exhaust baffle and air box and installed '00 fork springs. I am using IRC Vulcanduro tires, VE33 rearand VE 32 front
KAWA
Also nearly stock. I'm using the '97 fork springs from the honda, #140 main jet and have opened up the air box. I'm running the stock tires.
TIMES
The KAWA measured the distance at 10.1 miles and covered it in 32:44
The honda measured the distance at 9.6 miles and covered it in 33:35
Averaging the measured distance = 9.85 miles
KAWA 18.05 MPH
Honda 17.15 MPH

SUSPENSION
The Honda is smoother than the Kawa. The honda handled those big braking mounds very well, and roots and chatter bumps went unnoticed.
The Kawa had some harshness over the small stuff. It handled the braking mounds and chatter bumps well enough. I'll play with the clickers in the rear a bit more.
ERGONOMICS
The Kawa is smaller. This is not a bad thing by any means, it is just so. The Honda feels longer and taller. Transition from seated is easier on the Honda.
POWER DELIVERY
Different as night and day, of course. The Honda causes me to grin every time I drop it into a corner and punch it out. Hook up is better all the time. Some of that is probably due to tires.
The Kawa had me smiling for 32:44. Power delivery is smooth and crisp. It is much easier to use the throttle and clutch to rear steer in the tight stuff
OVERALL
The Honda is smoother suspension wise but the torque and weight are fatiguing; It takes more energy to go at speed.
The Kawa is much smoother in the power delivery and braking. In the end, it proved to be a little faster for me but, more importantly, less tiring. Where the Honda brought big grins on punch and groans on stopping, the Kawa made me smile all the way through.

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
I bought a kdx last spring and sold my xr400 a few month later because I never rode it. The xr had a lot of good points, like the stump pulling low end power. But the weight was a big draw back. I found that I could ride the kdx harder and faster for longer periods. Also with a few simple mods the kdx also is better in tight woods where I do most of my riding.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Yeah, the 400 is for sale. I've enjoyed it but I have to force myself to ride it now.
I bought the KDX for it weight and reputation. Others might disagree, but I consider the XR 250 or 400 the 'The best 4-stroke woods bikes on the planet"
My current riding goal is to finish that #$@% Clanton AL Enduro in May. Couldn't do it on the 400 last year.

Karl P.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Originally posted by karlp
Not so giant. I have one of each and thought I'd do a comparison before I sold the 400.

Well, that's pretty much the short review, eh?  :laugh:

ERGONOMICS
The Kawa is smaller. This is not a bad thing by any means, it is just so. The Honda feels longer and taller. Transition from seated is easier on the Honda. 

Wow.  Thanks for this info!  I was actually looking for an XR 400 for my "re-entry" to dirt.  After many discussions, it was suggested that I look at the KDX 200/220.  Weight, power, "wear-me-out" factor, etc all came into play.  I was convinced that the KDX doesn't require the maintenance of most two strokes I'm familiar with (MX-ers), and creates less fatigue than the XR.  End the end, the praise of the KDX (and a good deal on my like new '00) swayed me to the 2-smoke camp.  Now I'm glad I made this choice. :)

It's interesting to read that the XR feels bigger than the KDX.  Specifically taller.  I'm 5'10", 185 lbs.  To me the KDX is borderline "too tall".  Not unrideable, but nowhere near as fun/easy/confidence inspiring as the height of my YZ 125.  I've love to drop a bit of height off the KDX.  It'd be perfect, then.  :)   If the XR is even *taller*, it may very well be in my personal "unrideable" zone.

OVERALL
The Honda is smoother suspension wise but the torque and weight are fatiguing; It takes more energy to go at speed.
The Kawa is much smoother in the power delivery and braking. In the end, it proved to be a little faster for me but, more importantly, less tiring. Where the Honda brought big grins on punch and groans on stopping, the Kawa made me smile all the way through.

And I'm glad I chose my KDX.  There's just something to be said for roosting on a 2 stroke.  :thumb:   Thanks for this comparison!  I wish I'd had this available a few months ago (when I was trying to make this decision), but it looks like I lucked into the "right" bike anyway.  :yeehaw:

Brandon 

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
The short review is accurate. I was going to keep the 400 for conditions it was better suited to or for a buddy ride. What has happened is it sits in the garage. I can't figure out if I have no budies or if conditions....

Don't get me wrong, the 400 is a fine bike. I wish I could get the suspension on my KDX as plush as on the 400.

You are right about motocross. The 400 is certainly not suitable. You can still have lots of fun.

I had the same debate going before I bought the KDX. I nearly bought a YZF. Now I realize there is no need for that kind of power in my hands. I gotta go to work on Monday!!

Karl P.

HOTRODKY428

Oct 24, 2002
i dont know if the xr 400 is like my 84 xr 500,but if you stall it in a tight place,it takes an act of god and an enginering degree to get it started.I loved the power,but drum brakes and a bike that nearly weighs twice as much as me,is not for kentucky.

Top Bottom