Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007
1) your physical size 5'5.5 135-140 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Very on my TTR125
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? everywhere
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes 1.5 years on bike, 10-12 years on snowmobile, and quad
5) Do you think you will race ? Am really interested in learning
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Me, grandpa and dad
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, dealers everywhere for everykind
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? eh under 2,000 maybe 2,500
10) Do you live in California? no Michigan
11) Your age? 18

I've posted here before, but finally my grandpa is serious about me stepping up from my TTR125LE that I have been riding for a little over a year, and am bored of, and want to take the next step. Should I go to a kx100..a 2 stroke 125, or a 4 stroke 250F? I just dont want a 125 2 stoke to ruin my confidence, and I have no idea how to ride a 125 2 stroke seeming how i learned on a 4stroke.. is it hard?. And my grandpa knows 3 people that I can ride on their tracks.

Your Advice is greatly appreciated :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Hughes 097 said:
get a 230
Personally I would advise against a 230 they are heavy, underpowered for their size and weight, and to big for you right now

You might be pushing the limit on the 100's power at 140 lbs but at least for the next season or so I think you would be very happy with the bike.

A 125 or 250F would last you much longer but in your price range I would look any 250F over very closely to make sure you are not buying a money pit of mechanical repairs.
You can practically steal a 125 2 stroke for the money you have available and at least for the learning period it will give you all the power and speed you are looking for right now. Balance wise the 125 will feel much lighter for you to corner and control then a 250F. Don't worry so much about seat height because at 5' 5 you should have plenty long enough legs to use it.
In the womens class for MX the 125 is more then competitive.

Last edited:

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007
Thank you all so much for your replies

..a 230 as a ttr230? b/c thats a deff. no im sick of the ttr's and i want something competitive..
The kx100's out of the question... so the 125 im guessing by your replies sounds like my best bet.. I just really dont know what to expect and how to ride a 2 stroke.. any suggestions if i were to get a 125 2 stroke? i herd the powerbands crazy... any suggestions on which brand to get because i'll be riding pretty much everywhere, woods, tracks, and hopefully race next year.. which one has the best powerband for me personally? ... Thank you all again I really appreciate it :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
With the money you save by buying a two stroke, send it to Eric and have him port it for some bottom end.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Mariesa18 said:
..a 230 as a ttr230? b/c thats a deff. no im sick of the ttr's and i want something competitive..
The kx100's out of the question... so the 125 im guessing by your replies sounds like my best bet.. I just really dont know what to expect and how to ride a 2 stroke.. any suggestions if i were to get a 125 2 stroke? i herd the powerbands crazy... any suggestions on which brand to get because i'll be riding pretty much everywhere, woods, tracks, and hopefully race next year.. which one has the best powerband for me personally? ... Thank you all again I really appreciate it :)

You'll just need to learn to use the clutch to keep it on the pipe. Slip it coming out of the corners.

The RM's corner GREAT. The powerbands vary slightly from year to year, but no 125 is going to have very much low end power. Pick a color and go for it - preferably a color that has a dealer nearby so you can get parts easily and quickly.

At your height and weight (really close to my 5'4", 145), you might want to have the suspension lowered maybe an inch or two.

And/or you could cut the seat foam and subframe.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mariesa18 said:
The kx100's out of the question...

For your size and experience level the KX100 would be the best transition bike from your TTR. You'll learn some important fundamentals about riding a two-stroke without encountering the difficulties that come from a full size 125. KX100s tend to hold their value better than a 125 so when it's time to move up you'll be better off as well.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
My girlfriend is 5'6" and 150. I started her on an XR100, a bit small for her size. After learning the fundimentals, I knew she needed a bigger (frame not engine) bike. She rode my sons' 250F comfortably but coundn't touch the ground. For her, going from a trail bike to a 2 Stroke race bike would be too much of a transition too quickly.

I settled on a 2003RM100, identical to the KX100. (Oddly enough my son went from an XR100 to a KX100, then KX125 then 250F)

The power is a bit more "user friendly" than an 85 due to the powervalve. The suspension is very good, I just installed the correct springs for her weight.

Go to your local dealer and sit on one. See how it feels to you. They are great bikes, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck, Steve.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A 125 two stroke on a track is a blast to ride. To be competitive on the track you will need to learn the powerband and how to keep it on the pipe. Just learning it won't be an issue, you will make it around the track no sweat.

The places where the small bore two strokes need experience and some amount of skill is when you are climbing steep & gnarly hills or technically difficult single track stuff where keeping it on the pipe is the difference between making it or stalling. When you didn't make it in the first place getting rolling again can be a real bitch, unless you turn around and go back to the bottom for another run at it.

I expect that you would get the hang of it pretty quick, however.

If you are considering racing, however, you should investigate a bit at places where you might race and find out what the class breakdown is. If you are racing at a large gathering there might be a women's 125 two stroke class, and a 250 two stroke, and 250 four stroke, and a 450 four stroke, etc. If the race has a smaller gathering there probably won't be enough women racers to have all the different classes so they will lump you together. As much fun as a 125 two stroke is it won't keep up with a 250 two stroke and unless you are really, really good it won't keep up with a 250 four stroke. If you want to be competitive buy the biggest engine the class allows.

Rod

Timshady_20

May 1, 2007
I would recommend you take the 2 stroke 125. The powerband will take some getting used to when making the transition from the TTR but just remember to roll on the throttle easy until you feel comfortable with the crack in power you get when you hit the meaty part of the powerband. I think the KX100 power would be more easily manageable for you but you'd start to feel cramped on that bike pretty quick at 5'5''.

Best advice is to try each one if you're capable. I know the dealer where I live will let you take the bikes out for a test ride around the parking lot. Just make sure you're comfortable on any bike you want to buy. A comfortable rider makes a confident rider.....you never want to ride something you don't feel comfortable on, that's when you break stuff.

yamarider1491

Jul 8, 2007
i agree against the 230. i looked at getting one myself but decided against at because of the weight and lack of power. if you got bored with the tt-r125 then a 230 isn't muck better.

my advice is to get a 250F. i went strait from a tt-r125L to a yz 250F with no problem. theres less maintinece than a 2 stroke and i love the low end torque. with a 250F you will have a bike you can put around on till you get used to the power. after that you can add parts to make a beast.

you may have to lower the suspention though. im 6' and mine is just right.

if your serious about racing or just have an agressive riding style, you will very quickly find the 230 too slow.

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
In the end it's what you want...go and ride them first. I started on a CRF230 (5'6"-150lbs), it was a little intimidating at first because I had never ridden before. My husband picked up an RM85L (2-stroke) for me and after riding that the 230 is a breeze. 2-strokes are like light switches, they are either off or on :-) Our friend did the porting which made a huge difference. It just takes riding to get used to the powerband. We ride in the hills mainly so I really enjoy the 230 when it comes to trails. It's nice to have both to choose from. Good luck!

Top Bottom