MotorSWATCop

Jul 12, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'0; 220
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Pretty aggressive for my age.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Predominantly trails and maybe some track at Barber when they finish.
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes; I am a trackday rider on a GSX-R750 and a former Motor cop. I ride in Advanced on the race track.
5) Do you think you will race ? Probably not. If I do; it would be club racing.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? For the most part.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Not really.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yeah. All major brands are available but I am not thrilled w/ dealers for service. I can get what I need though.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 5.5K probably.
10) Do you live in California? Never set foot there.
11) Your age? 44
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion I am a good track rider (not great). I have solid skills and like to learn. I have taken several road race schools and have also had 2 solid weeks of motor training in law enforcement. I am comfortable w/ bikes and am in pretty good physical condition.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
With your street riding experience and size, I think any of the 450cc MX bikes would be a thrill for you, and you could probably get a 2007 or 2008 in your price range. The power on these bikes is more than you need, but you've probably learned throttle restraint from you street bikes.

The Honda's seem to be the most popular 450s at the track, and they are fine on the trail, too. The modern 250 two strokes are lighter and still plenty powerful, and should be less expensive. For a trail bike, the KTM's are highly regarded, and they also make a 300.

The 250 four strokes are a blast to ride, and worth considering. But if you are used to big power, might as well go the 450, IMO.

Top Bottom