fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Anyone interested in a ride this weekend?  Both Saturday and Sunday are supposed to have clear weather - Sunday is suppose to be warmer.  I know some guys are takng their studded bikes across the bridge, but I am looking for a ride closer to home.

Mike

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Mike, I'll see what I got going on Sunday and maybe I will came on down to Gladwin.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Oops, scratch that. May have to help a friend move.

Bart-Man 038

Jul 19, 2002
Mike, some riding sounds sweet, weather in Indiana has turned to cold and wet, cold part is not so bad. Actually the ol KTM is getting some well deserved maintainance done, a shock seal showed up today from EE. Hey, I haven't been on the web since DW03, did the guy with the Bundy cam ever offer up videos for sale? Do you recall who he was?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bart,

I have not seen the final version of the video.  Timr was the man behind the production.  I got a boatload of pictures from Tony Eeds.

It is cold in Michigan, but not too wet.  Gonna try for one last ride now that the collarbone has healed.

Mike

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Bart-Man 038
Mike, some riding sounds sweet, weather in Indiana has turned to cold and wet, cold part is not so bad. Actually the ol KTM is getting some well deserved maintainance done, a shock seal showed up today from EE. Hey, I haven't been on the web since DW03, did the guy with the Bundy cam ever offer up videos for sale? Do you recall who he was?

Bart, dude wazzup? Stud that four fiddy up and come ride with us this winter some time!
Freddy T

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I am meeting Farmer Tom at north end of the Leota loop (Canoe Camp Road) at noon tomorrow.  Join us if you can!!

Mike

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
What a day, it was one problem after the next. First I got up at 7:30 to finish studding up the tires. I was using an air impact to put in the screws when the air compressor runs low on air.Then I had to build a fire, in the woodstove to heat up the compressor so I don't burn it up. After that I was putting my rear tire onto the rim when I pinched the tube. SOB!! I busted out the tire patch kit and fixed it due to our lack of 18" tubes. Finally, I get that all back together. Next I wrestled the front tire off the rim and put on the studded one. I left the house at 11:20 to meet Mike at the trail. What was supposed to be an hour drive turned into a 2.5 hour tour of Mid-Michigan. I had missed Canoe Camp Road and drove until I saw a Leota trailhead sign. I followed the markers and realized that this wasn't the way. I stopped at the party store in Leota and asked where Canoe Camp Rd. was. I was given a map and directions, and hit the road. When I reached Mullet Rd. (the road I needed) I blew past it. I then turned around in someone's driveway, almost knocking down their mailbox. The people at the party store failed to mention that Mullet Rd. turns into a 2-track, and I had our race trailer. It was a very tight squeeze. Finally I reached Mike's van at 1:15. He was gone, as expected, so I unloaded my bike thinking maybe I could catch-up or at least get some riding in. As I was unloading the bike I noticed that the rear was flat again. So I loaded it back up, wrote Mike a note (I hope you got it Mike), yelled some obcenities due to my terrible luck, and went home

I guess it was just not my day to ride.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds like just "one of those days" Tom! Thanks for the trail report anyway.. I think we can ALL recall "trail rides" like that one. Remember, the not so good ones build charector and they also make the great ones even GREATER (how was that for a "positive reply")!!
Woodsy

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I can attest to the problem rides Tom! That's what I like about enclosed trailers and RVs.. Leave everything in there so it's only a 10 minute deal to "pack and go". Plus that way you get your pattern & habits down pat. Like last weekend we parked at Leota trail head; I changed in the trailer, double checked that I had the truck key in my fanny pack and promptly locked everything up. When we stopped back to top off the gas tank I realized that I did, indeed, have the keys to the truck (door only, no ignition key) but I locked the rest of the keys in the trailer. That meant we could get into the pickup but not actually start it or open the trailer to put the bikes away.
Talk about funny!! Of course my buddy didn't see the humor in it when I said "wanna hear a good one?". The other people parked in the lot didn't have anything to help us with either. My buddy says, just whack that lock with a rock, they break right open & "we do that at work all the time" (legally, I guess). Ha! I must have some really good Master locks!
Quickly summarize: I was able to disassemble the trailer using tools I had in the truck whilst my buddy went doorbell ringing to find a hacksaw. Those enclosed trailers are much less secure than one may think ;-)

We only ran the east half of Leota, fun trail. Nice and smooth with not much ice. Tons of downed trees though - had to be on your toes when you rounded some of those corners.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Hummmm, breaking into trailers at Leota. Napper, does this ring a bell?

When I first met Napper, it was at Leota in the spring of 2002. The guy I was with had locked his keys in his trailer. We tried for a bit to break the lock off with an ajustable wrench. With many failed attempts Napper steps in and states: "You gotta get in the meat of it" and he twists the lock right off. For a little while after that I thought there was a bigger story behind the bald man with a wicked ZZ-top beard.........

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Tom, got your note.  Next time we will ride together.  I did not ride very long or very far, but it was good to get back on the bike after 9 weeks of collarbone recovery.

I was thinking of the same Napper story as I read the post by 2Tracker.  Napper grabbed the lock with "his bare hands" and twisted until it broke into pieces.  He saved the day because were able to head to Gladwin to ride trail without snow and ice.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
BARE HANDS!
As I recall, the bare hands held my pipe wrench. I guess it is his story. Tom looked at Napper like WOW, what's with this guy? Really funny.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
This legend has been told and retold on countless web sites over the years.

As the story goes, Napper, aka "Pitbull Mike", locked a hold of the cold, rusted Masterlock in his mouth, and with eyes bulging and neck veins popping, twisted and shook his head violently until the lock crumbled in pieces.

Not much was said as Pitbull Mike backed away, with splinters of metal still hanging snarled in his beard. The ride went on as planned that day, but everyone always made sure they had their keys after that...

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
just a little advice to my good friends don and tom.

Don, if someone is bigger than you dont question, their story must be true.

Tom, when you stud yor tires dont use 2 inch wood screws and if

you do put then in the other way.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
That MUST be my problem!! Thanks for clearing that up Greg. ;)

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
I heard that this Napper guy just breathe on the lock and it shatter like glass. Plus I hear that this guy is also quite the ladies man and he goes out with that Paris Hilton chick.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
About as close as Napper's gonna get hooking up with Paris Hilton...

Attachments

• napperparishilton.jpg
    napperparishilton.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I went to a Christmas party on Wednesday night.  This Napper guy was there with his wife and she looks like Paris Hilton!!

We had a good night.....no locks needed to be broken.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Bill: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Bart-Man 038

I have the helmet cam footage.  It will be the new year some time before I finish with the editing of the entire DW DVD.  Sorry for the delay.

Top Bottom