calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I need to get an suv that will tow my toyhauler. It's 3800lbs empty and 7000lbs max weight. I hear that the GMC Yukon with the 5.3L vortec will pull 8500lbs. Anybody here have one that they tow with? I'm trying to decide on a Yukon or Expedition (5.4L). It all depends on which tows better.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I had a Suburban until it was stolen this spring :whiner: and loved it and the way it towed. My engine was the 5.3 also. When I pulled a trailer with it, I could tell it was there, but it did a good job if I kept it in tow/haul. My max weight was around 5000 lbs loaded though.

Your title says Yukon XL, but you reference the Yukon and the Expedition in the body of your comments. I would definitely get the Suburban or the Yukon XL over the shorter wheel base trucks (either) any day. I have tried to fit in the rear seat of a Yukon/Tahoe and it is very tight.

I now have a 4 door shortbed 2500 GMC Sierra with the Duramax/Allison and with my new trailer (7x14) loaded, I can't even tell it is there unless I look.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Won't tow it within the ratings. You've been duped by the bogus "tow rating". Long before you are able to tow a trailer weighing 8500 lbs you will find that you've exceeded your GVWR. It's a trick.

Toy haulers are made such that they are properly balanced with a load of toys at max trailer GVWR. If you tow less than max trailer GVWR then your tongue weight will be huge. Even at max trailer GVWR the tongue weight is huge. These toy haulers have very large water and waste tanks.

Last time I looked, there are no real, hard, toy haulers that were towable within ratings by a half ton vehicle. It is just too darn heavy.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
You can get 3/4 ton Yukon XL's and Suburbans.

SERPA

Dec 25, 2002
Weekend Warrior makes a Superlite line that is towable by half ton vehicles. We're purchasing the FK2100 whick is 4100 pounds empty, and will be towed by an 03' Yukon XL with the 5.3. They make a 1900 which is 3800 empty also. They're the lightest thing on the market, designed to be towed by 1/2 ton rigs. I have talked to several people who have them, and it was the best compromise they could make, without purchasing a heavier tow vehicle. Man, I miss my Duramax for towing.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
on www.gmc.com it states the trailering specs as 7400 2wd with a 3.73 axle and 8400 with a 4.10 axle with 4wd its 7200 and 8200 repectively, i have a hd2500 pickup with a 6.0l and a 4.10 and its rated at 10500, and it will pull anything i care to hook up to and gets 12-14mpg loaded, unloaded,or going down hill with a tailwind! the 6.0l in an xl brings your tow rating up to 9600 with a 4.10 axle, and it will only get a couple miles less per gal. id like to know what the ford actually gets as far as mpg from someone who has one.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Whatever you chose you'll definately want something with a longer wheelbase for towing. And look at torque specs also, as the vehicles with the highest torque ratings are usually more capable of moving heavy loads without working too hard.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
good timing! I have a 12x7 Wells that a buddy just borrowed to take to nebraska with his Yukon. He said it towed great but dropped his mileage to 10mpg.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Offroadr makes another good point: small-block V-8s suffer a significant drop in fuel mileage when towing. When I had my F350 Supercab with a 460 I got 10 on the highway empty and 10 on the Hwy. fully loaded towing. Problem was no matter what it only got 10!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yup, my diesel Ford gets 15mpg at 75-85mph, trailer loaded. I've never been anywhere where it strains or even down shifts...just a little diesel maon, some turbo whine and away you go.

Top Bottom