Gnarly Desert Pipe, Pro Reeds, and a Tourque Ring?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
hi, I was wandering if I put all of these mods onto my 2003 KDX 200. (Boyesen Pro Series Reeds, FRP Tourque Ring, and a FMF Gnarly Desert Pipe with the correct jetting of course.) Would I get lots of top end power, with plenty of pull down low? Im looking for lots of pull with lots of top end. Basicallty, more power everywhere. These mods will be used for racing on MX tracks, I am an on the gas 24/7 rider. i weigh like 212. What would I expect from these mods all combined? Thanks for yor help!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
KDX,

I've seen people put a different pipe on their KDX, also reeds. They were very happy w/ the results.

I'm expecting some people to advise E.G. porting, which should give you dramatic improvements, especially for the $$$ you spend. He usually ports for what you want. Sounds like you want the 'MO Power EVERYWHERE' package.

GoodLuck,

Chief

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol, yup, I do! I want plenty of over rev, and plenty of power to pull. Im racing mostly MX and Im always on the gas. Ill list the mods I want again. Please... more input is appreciated.

13/48 Sprocket combo

FMF PowerCore 2 Silencer (already have bought)

FMF Gnarly Desert Pipe (Rev pipe)

FRP Tourque Ring

Boyesen Power Reeds

Im not going to do the porting, because I can't afford it. I am just going to get the best preformance I can with bold on mods. Then mabey porting next year for X Mas. (All the mods I listed here will be for X mas also THIS YEAR 03')

Thanks for your help

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
KDX,

C'mon, you can't fool me. By the time you spend the $ on the pipe and reeds you are close to a port job. You can't go w/ out your honey for 2 weeks, can you???  :thumb:

Chief

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol!!! Well, Im not going to be the one paying for it actually (even though I have to work to pay for everyhting else including gas)... its for christmas. Thats wy I need t manage with what I can with boly on mods.

BTW, I recently heard that if you put a tourqe ring and a rev pipe together, itll cancel each other out?

HmmmMMmMmm??

Descisions, descisions

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
That reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday with his name on it. When she complains, he just says, "If you don't want it, I know someone who will....".
Just get everyone KDX aftermarket stuff for presents this Christmas and tell 'em, "I you don't want it....."

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
KDX more power every where mods without porting?

I am very serious in getting a KDX Pipe, or at least a mod that will help me with a power increase. Ill definately be getting some Boyesen power reeds, and most likely a pipe. what would you reccomend for a pipe if I want better all around performance? or what other mods would you reccomend (besides porting)? I want my bike to be strong down low for cornering, and exitingcorners for those tough jumps, and I want my bike to have plenty of top end and over revv for t hose jumps in those long straight aways.

What does the pro circuit offer? What does the FMF Gnarly desert/wood spipe off besides their specific focuses of top end/bottom end? Are there and performance losses?

I have a FMF PowerCore 2 Silencer right now, Airbox lid mod on my 2003 KDX 200.

Ill be racing MX at my local track, which is motocross, but it has those really tight corners, with the jumps 10 feet ou tof them, Long straight aways with good jumps, high, steep, deep, whoops. When I ride, I am on the gas ALL THE TIME. I guess you can say thi sis one of those supercross styled Motocross tracks.

I hope this is enough information for your opinion, and thank you for your time in reading my post.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
sorry to say, but it is hard to get bottem and top end out of a bike, there is always a compromise. woods guys usually have more bottem but less top, outdoor guys more top less bottem, and supercross they liek the bottem also..This is the reasion for diffirent pipes, and sprockets, and set ups. On my 250 I change the gearing and pipe for every MX track i race on, u have to know what u want it to do and set it up for that.

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
I have a '96 and the first thing I did was junk the air box lid and put on a FMF rev pipe and rejetted put FRP suggested combo.

I havent had time to ride this year and my son had put the stock pipe back on because he "likes the stock power better", says "he thinks it has better bottom end like that". Well, to make it short, I have been riding it a lot around the neighborhood fields etc. lately and didnt think too much about it until I planned a riding trip for next week. I just came back in the house from changing back to the fmf and going for a short ride. My son is NUTS! The bike is so muck more crisp and has much better bottom with much more over-rev. Maybe it was the fact that it was jetted for the FMF or I had just forgotten what a difference the FMF makes but it is an awesome bang for the buck with the rev pipe and I think you get much better bottom to boot.
BTW: I have used the torque ring and couldnt tell any difference. If you are low on bucks, do what I did, Call Fredett Racing and see if they have any used pipes in stock- they often do. If I remember right I got my pipe with a pipe protector already on it, the torque ring and new jetting for about $100.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
thats a good idea. I just want the thing to not bog down low like it does now sometimes if you dont roll on the throttle. Thanks for your input. If you have any other comments, please post them.

Yeah 89 Kdx... I know how ya feel. LOL

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
PC Platinum 2

I just saw this pipe in the Rocky Mountain ATV Magazine, and was wandering what power the Platinum2 offers for the KDX? Mine is a 2003 KDX 200. If I buy this pipe what will I expect from it? What would I expect from the Platinum pipe? I would assume more midrage to top end... but would it give me a little less top than the FMF Gnarly Desert, but more bottom than it? I want to compare these pipes, to see what my options are. Thanks in advance

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
yeah yeah... boring old stock (with FMF Power Core 2 silencer). its got a pretty good midrabge, but I want to research the platinum 2 pipe. Mabey it will be like a FMF SST or Fatty!!! with "mo power everywhere" I just dont want to lose any bottom, and I still cant decide which pipe to buy, because my track has all those tight corners, btu then there will be a straight away, a big one, then another tight corner. hmm.... time for that research... ill post what i find...(if I find anything)

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Freestyle,
Hey, I haven't been on the KDX forum for sometime now but I performed all the mods you're talking about...PC pipe, torque ring mod, airbox, boyseen power reeds (stocked gearing) I had many of the same questions you're asking. I'll admit it made a noticeable difference everywhere. However I noticed that I had alot of wheelspin and the bike wasn't always hooking up. And so after these modfications the biggest matter for me was just making sure that the new found power made it to the ground effectively, i.e--fine tuning the suspension. It made a huge difference. I couldn't imagine ever going back to stock after this. Alright guys, I must confess, and I'm feeling extremely guitly right now since so many of you have helped me along the away with my 02 kdx, I'm in the process (please don't stone me) of buying a 1998 KTM 300 MX/C for more torque--I rode open class bikes previously. I'm keeping the KDX for the gnarly/muddy, single track, woods riding days and getting the MXC for the cross country/harescramble type/MX track riding. It's simply an offer I can't refuse--$1600.00 bucks with less than 100 miles on it, and impeccably maintained. Didn't mean to go off on a tangent, but I felt like had to confess. I hope I'll still be welcome here. Cheers!~John

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
One thing that is interesting is that no one has commented on the torque ring and that makes me think that it must not be that worthwhile of a modification. Has anyone used one and with what result compared to no torque ring?

Best,
Greg

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok... i got my research, but hey, its from PRO CIRCUIT, a company.. so as any company, thell say what u want to hear to sell teir product. he told me the platinum 2 pipe is set up for lots of low end, and is more for off road. and also that PC's main focus is to find the "holes" in the bikes' powerbands. He told me the pipes will add poweer everywhere, but on the KDX's the Regular pipes, focus on midrange to tope end, because they have lots of bottom.

John (the guy a couple posts up)... if you have any mor einput, PLEASE POST IT! BTW... I bought FRP springs for my weight, and a rear spring for my weight (about 215 lbs).

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
KDXFreestyle,
That's exactly what I did too with regard to the suspension...I weight about 205...I went with the PC platinum becuase I was definitely looking for more power everywhere. The torque ring is debatable, but for 8-10 bucks what the heck. It's like it all balanced out in the end. I don't regret any of the modifications I've made, and I'd do it all over again. But I wish they manufactured KDX 250 with a 5-speed...that would be so nice. Anyway, it's always nice to dream. I really like this bike, that's why I can't sell it. It's completely custom made for me.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I installed the Torque Ring between the cyclinder and pipe and did feel a great difference in the bottom end. I also installed a Carborator spacer at the same time, though.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok.. soo.. my only major concern now is the tourque ring... will it equal out the pipe? or just make me lose top end? im definately going to buy the PC Platinum pipe as soon as i fix everyhting else and get the money for it. thanx!

Top Bottom