Gnarly Desert vs. Gnarly Woods????

2001KDX

Jun 27, 2000
A friend of mine is getting ready to put a pipe on his KDX 200. He is wanting more bottom end some I have pointed him in the direction of the FMF Gnarly. When looking on the FMF web site I noticed that it comes in two versions for the KDX, Desert or Woods. Since he rides in the woods, I would say get the Woods but I am curious about the difference. Anyone have any knowledge?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
For a 200:
Gnarly woods = KG-35 = Torque
Gnarly Desert = KG-30 = REV

For a 220 use the KG-30

2001KDX

Jun 27, 2000
Thanks for the info guys! I guess I was getting caught up in all of the name changes. The Gnarly Woods is definitely what he is looking for.

Now for me with a 220 I would pick the Desert version. How much does the pipe change increase the noise level? I had rode a 1986 KDX 200 until the mid 90's, got sidetracked onto a KTM 440 for a few years before buying my 2001 KDX 220. I had forgotten how nice it was to have a stealth quiet bike. Although I would like a little more power, I really want to keep the noise levels low.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I have a Gnarly Rev pipe on my 1999 KDX220 and it did not change the noise much at all, I think the noise is more a factor of the silencer. The Rev pipe makes a big difference, the bike has a much harder hit when you are on the pipe and the transition is a bit more harsh. The Rev pipe does give you significantly more carry in each gear.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
My '99 with the rev and the TCII measured out at 89 db per the AMA rules testing. That's quiet!

Either pipe will "sing" (resonate) when it comes up on the pipe, being of single wall construction. That will be the most noticable difference from the stocker.

Top Bottom