Gnarly pipe w/stock silencer?

Will the FMF "Gnarly" pipe work in conjuction with the stock silencer on an '03 KDX200? I really like the stealth sound from the stock silencer.

Like the saying goes, "Quiet pipes keep our riding trails & tracks open".

Last edited:
Not a thing. Just exploring options when, or if I decide to look for a little more power in the future.

Reading the "Hop Ups" section of JustKDX.com, it seems as though it would be perfectly fine. It also says that adding this pipe is the best bang for your buck mod for the KDX. At least I hope he's right, because I'm doing the exact same thing!

I am curious to hear from someone who has actually done this. I can't see why it would not work. I just want to know the net quiet achieved. I just bought a kdx with a waaaaay to loud pipe. I want good pep but not obnoxious.

I use the stock silencer with a dynoport pipe. Fits fine.

The stock silencer is quiet and doesn't have to be re-packed.

blackduc98

Damn Yankees
Chris in Denver said:
I am curious to hear from someone who has actually done this. I can't see why it would not work. I just want to know the net quiet achieved. I just bought a kdx with a waaaaay to loud pipe. I want good pep but not obnoxious.
I've done this. Works just fine with my FMF pipe. I have both a stock silencer and a PC304 silencer, and I can switch between the two silencers in a matter of minutes.

blackduc98 said:
I've done this. Works just fine with my FMF pipe. I have both a stock silencer and a PC304 silencer, and I can switch between the two silencers in a matter of minutes.
Does the stock silencer make a difference in jetting? People have suggested I go with leaner than stock jets with a FMF pipe and Boyesen power reeds. They suggested 152 main and 46 pilot, FMF says 155 main, 48 pilot, and stock is 160 and 48. This seems REALLY WIERD that a new pipe, reeds, and losing the airbox lid makes me need to lean out the jetting.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
Okiewan said:
Whats wrong with the stock pipe?
You just wish that you had a KDX TWO STROKE :p :)

Yup it will work..pipe silencer combo that is :nod:

Camrider,
I use my stock silencer with a PC Platinum pipe and it works great, I'd imagine an FMF wouldn't be any different. :cool:

So,
for you guys that have an aftermarket pipe with stock silencer, was it worth the $200 pop for the expansion chamber?

And, is it as quiet as the stock pipe/silencer combo?

The expansion chamber makes most of the power boost. The chamber makes the power, the silencer makes the noise.

blackduc98

Damn Yankees
supajdogg said:
Does the stock silencer make a difference in jetting? People have suggested I go with leaner than stock jets with a FMF pipe and Boyesen power reeds. They suggested 152 main and 46 pilot, FMF says 155 main, 48 pilot, and stock is 160 and 48. This seems REALLY WIERD that a new pipe, reeds, and losing the airbox lid makes me need to lean out the jetting.
Stock jetting is really rich, so it is not surprising that even with mods you'll end up leaner than stock.

Regarding how stock silencer vs PC304 affects jetting: I don't really know. I'm not jetted on the hairy edge, so I haven't really noticed much of a difference. The expansion chamber has the largest impact on jetting. The variations that you quote are not large, and you could easily see this much variation due to temperature alone. So I suggest you go thru the exercise of personalizing the jetting for your bike. Jets are cheap, and you'll learn a lot. There is a plethora of jetting info right here on DRN, just do a search. There are also links in the sticky post at the top of this forum.