Gnarly pipe w/stock silencer?

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
Will the FMF "Gnarly" pipe work in conjuction with the stock silencer on an '03 KDX200? I really like the stealth sound from the stock silencer.

Like the saying goes, "Quiet pipes keep our riding trails & tracks open".

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Whats wrong with the stock pipe?

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Reading the "Hop Ups" section of JustKDX.com, it seems as though it would be perfectly fine. It also says that adding this pipe is the best bang for your buck mod for the KDX. At least I hope he's right, because I'm doing the exact same thing!

May 9, 2007
I am curious to hear from someone who has actually done this. I can't see why it would not work. I just want to know the net quiet achieved. I just bought a kdx with a waaaaay to loud pipe. I want good pep but not obnoxious.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
Chris in Denver said:
I am curious to hear from someone who has actually done this. I can't see why it would not work. I just want to know the net quiet achieved. I just bought a kdx with a waaaaay to loud pipe. I want good pep but not obnoxious.
I've done this. Works just fine with my FMF pipe. I have both a stock silencer and a PC304 silencer, and I can switch between the two silencers in a matter of minutes.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
blackduc98 said:
I've done this. Works just fine with my FMF pipe. I have both a stock silencer and a PC304 silencer, and I can switch between the two silencers in a matter of minutes.

Does the stock silencer make a difference in jetting? People have suggested I go with leaner than stock jets with a FMF pipe and Boyesen power reeds. They suggested 152 main and 46 pilot, FMF says 155 main, 48 pilot, and stock is 160 and 48. This seems REALLY WIERD that a new pipe, reeds, and losing the airbox lid makes me need to lean out the jetting.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Okiewan said:
Whats wrong with the stock pipe?

You just wish that you had a KDX TWO STROKE :p :)

Yup it will work..pipe silencer combo that is :nod:

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
So,
for you guys that have an aftermarket pipe with stock silencer, was it worth the $200 pop for the expansion chamber?

And, is it as quiet as the stock pipe/silencer combo?

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
supajdogg said:
Does the stock silencer make a difference in jetting? People have suggested I go with leaner than stock jets with a FMF pipe and Boyesen power reeds. They suggested 152 main and 46 pilot, FMF says 155 main, 48 pilot, and stock is 160 and 48. This seems REALLY WIERD that a new pipe, reeds, and losing the airbox lid makes me need to lean out the jetting.
Stock jetting is really rich, so it is not surprising that even with mods you'll end up leaner than stock.

Regarding how stock silencer vs PC304 affects jetting: I don't really know. I'm not jetted on the hairy edge, so I haven't really noticed much of a difference. The expansion chamber has the largest impact on jetting. The variations that you quote are not large, and you could easily see this much variation due to temperature alone. So I suggest you go thru the exercise of personalizing the jetting for your bike. Jets are cheap, and you'll learn a lot. There is a plethora of jetting info right here on DRN, just do a search. There are also links in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
just_a_rider said:
How did the FMF pipe hook up? Did you have to do any pulling or bending to get it hook up in the right places?
My bike already came with an FMF pipe and PC304 silencer, so I had the opposite task of acquiring and fitting a stock silencer (I wanted the bike to be stealthy). I had to cut about 5mm off the end of the silencer tube which mates to the expansion chamber, and I also had to bend same tube a little to make the silencer mounting holes line up with the frame. But then again, my FMF pipe was pre-dinged and maybe pre-bent by the previous owner. The bottom line is: you can make it fit.

May 23, 2007
I was also wondering the same thing. Since a DS80 isnt a popular bike. FMF only sells pipes for the 89 RM 80. so i was thinking since the 88-89 are pretty well the same. I was going to buy the pipe. but the silencer is 200 and the pipe is 200 so would the new pipe work with the stock silencer.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
supajdogg said:
The expansion chamber makes most of the power boost. The chamber makes the power, the silencer makes the noise.
Hmm, my expansion chamber rings pretty loud when I get on the gas hard. But when I let my son tool around on my bike a little, I was amazed how quiet it sounded from just a few yards away. So maybe the perception of noise depends a lot on where the observer is. But I will definitely say that the stock silencer takes away a lot of the high frequency sharp barking, compared to a PC304.

KawiDave

Feb 3, 2005
camrider said:
So,
for you guys that have an aftermarket pipe with stock silencer, was it worth the $200 pop for the expansion chamber?

And, is it as quiet as the stock pipe/silencer combo?

YES! The expansion chamber is worth dropping 200 bucks, just be ready to spend a little bit more on carb jets, say $10-$20 if you do it yourself. I have a book by Eric Gorr and his first recomendation is to put an aftermarket chamber on. It is the number one way to get a performance gain on a Kawasaki, lose the stock expansion camber due to its weight and the aftermarket pipes are better tuned for the performance you want.

Now as far as the noise... I'm not so sure it is just as quiet but it is no where near the db level with a PC Factory sound pipe on it but that's really not saying to much

Top Bottom