Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

GNCC Team Changes

Some of the top GNCC teams are making big changes in hopes of winning what has become the most prestigious title in American off-road.

The first big move came just before the season ended, when FMF Suzuki signed GNCC legend Fast Fred Andrews. Formerly of the factory Kawasaki Team Green outfit, Andrews rounds out a powerhouse squad that includes four-time GNCC Champion Rodney Smith and four-time AMA National Motocross Champion Mike Kiedrowski. Suzuki is serious about getting their GNCC title back; they are doing their winter testing in Missouri this year instead of their normal venues in California so they can find terrain more closely related to the eastern GNCCs.

In addition, Suzuki has signed former R.E.R. Motorcity privateer Doug Blackwell to a support ride, and he'll pit alongside them on his new #9 RM.

Andrews takes the place of longtime Suzuki rider Steve Hatch. Hatch wanted a new race program that would let him compete in a larger variety of races, everything from GNCC and enduros to maybe even supermoto and motocross. He found it by forming the new Throttlehead.com Kawasaki team, which will have a full semi at the races and an arsenal of factory KXs at its disposal. Hatch will have two hungry, young teammates on his side, Andy Shea and Josh McLevy. Kawasaki's other factory rider, Chuck Woodford, will also pit out of the Throttlehead.com semi. Woodford is testing the KXF250F four-stroke, and may choose it as his full-time machine.

The team everyone is chasing, Am-Pro Yamaha, remains the same. GNCC Champion Barry Hawk, GNCC runner-up Jason Raines and six-time national Enduro Champion Randy Hawkins will continue to campaign on the blue bikes. Robbie Jenks will also continue his factory Yamaha involvement through the SCR Yamaha team.

KTM has re-signed GNCC #3 Mike Lafferty for another shot at the crown (and his 7th AMA National Enduro Championship), and Shane Watts will be back on the orange bikes this year.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Thanks for posting this update. It sould be a pretty exciting season once again. I'm rooting for Raines to sweep the series!

crb

Oct 14, 2001
I thought Scott Sheak was going to ride for Kawasaki. With the big changes he must have gotten over looked.

Yeah, I thought I read Summers was working on a deal for 2004. Maybe its still in the works and we will here more in the future? You would think Honda would give him the go ahead and start funding a GNCC team. With a veteran like Summers for guidance and some new young guns they would be a force to reckon with.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I dont know why I think this but look out for Hatch this season. I think he needed a change of scenario from the Suzi semi and to get out of Rodneys shadow. I think that the Kawi and him might just get along real well.

If anyone can give Lafferty a run in the enduro series this year, it will be Hatch.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
i agree,hatch definately has the speed to win. he had some bad luck last year but did run upfront at times. sometimes a change is the right move,he was with suzuki for a long time, but they have a good team with woodford,hatch and mclevy. i think they will do well in 04.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I'm kinda surprised that KTM isn't fielding a larger team.
After all these years of off road racing under their belts, you'd think they'd have 4-5 riders running, maybe some team help for Lafferty??
Honda is another one that's weird. All the $$ they have in MX and only Summers runnin' the big red, (on a 650 and lately a 450)
It was an exciting season last year, and this year I really feel it'll be better!
Joe
I'd run faster, but over the years the iron in my blood has turned to lead in my ass!

Top Bottom