MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I've worn contacts and goggles over the years while dirt biking with relatively few problems. Last year however I was plagued with dropping contacts because as a person gets older (like me and all the rest of ya's!), eyes don't make as many tears. Soooo, this year I'm going to switch to glasses and goggles. I tried it a couple times and hated it because my glasses would fog up? I may take "big old ugly glasses" route without goggles too.

Any suggestions on how to get glasses not to fog, and what are the best goggles that fit over glasses? Any other tips I didn't mention?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Have you considered Lasik? After glasses and contacts for 25 years, it is sooooo nice being able to see all the time. I know some people aren't a candidate for one reason or another though.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
2nd Smit Dog's suggestion. Probably still need glasses (at least some day in out future) for reading, but not for normal activities like our favorite sport.
Know a couple guys with prescription goggles, seemed like mixed reviews with those.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Ya know, back in my "younger days" when I would regularly ride in major dust (these days I am a dust free rider...) I wore a full faced shielded helmet - worked GREAT too!!! That with a pair of glasses under it would work fine! Another MAJOR advantage of the shield is "sticks and stones" get deflected! :cool:
Also, I have used "no fog" on my glasses and it seems to work pretty good - especially if the glasses are made of glass!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've run the gammut...

and I've settled in with prescription saftey glasses with the side deflectors attached. I just got a new pair this winter with the color changing lens and bifocal transition lenses. It's been the best set up so far. As long as I'm moving I don't get fogged up.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Mark - I gave up on glasses and goggles long ago. Nylon or a plastic frame and prescription plastic lenses has been my set up since. This is very close to Fred's set up. Yes, fogging does happen at times but is not a serious problem for me.

Young Ted

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Glasses and goggles here. I removed the foam at the bottom of the goggles to let air in, this helps keep fogging down. Also, I use no fog drops on both sides of my glasses and the inside of the goggles. I use this set up in the spring and fall, when the temps are cooler. Summer time I don't have trouble with fogging.

Mully

Here is a cool set up that I have been looking at:

http://www.888rxgoggles.com/

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
If Lasik is an option consider it!
The best thing I ever did for myself.
Before that I wore perscription saftey glasses like Fred.
Don

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark

For my eye Rx needs, lasik or contacts are not an option. I learned the hard way of the risks of no goggles in fogging up situations (scratched cornea - very painful). I now use Pro Vue prescription goggles. www.pro-vue.com In my opinon, they work FANTASTIC! There are other brands, but all use about the same concept. A downside with Pro Vue that I think other brands might be better on, is it is not particularily easy to insert or remove the carrier for the RX lenses. This is an issue when you want to clean the lenses quickly and easily. I dont find it to much of a hassle however.

You use a regular set of goggles, and a special insert holding your prescription lenses goes behind the conventional goggle lens. I use a "vented" regular goggle lens, or a "anti fog" lens (anti fog lenses do tend to scratch more easily). I also am quite careful about always using a no fog cloth on the goggle lens as well as the prescription insert before each ride. As a general rule, I have no issues at all with fogging.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
I use the Scott 87 which is designed to fit over glasses. Might depend on the glasses too as to how they fit. I have a pair of pilot's sunglasses that I had prescription lenses fit into. They are nice because they are designed to be put on/taken off while wearing a helmet-------no "hooks" over the ears. Crappy to wear without a helmet because they slip off when you look down.

As far as fogging I only have the problem when it's really cold out or if it's super humid. That being said I did fit two CPU mini fans inside of my Scotts. So far it seems to work-----store bought as "Turbos" I think.

Jeramey is using some double throw down anti fog goggles. What were they Jeramey? But then again he doesn't wear glasses anymore---laser did the trick for him. M.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Smith Turbo flows work for me- they have a little fan that eliminates the fogging.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I've wondered about the pro-vue. Phil used to ride with his glasses and goggles. Said he will never do that again. I guess he crashed and cut up his face. Now he rides without his glasses, goggles only. Kind of scares me...he needs them to drive (He's farsighted), but I guess since when you ride you're supposed to look ahead it works for him :) Still scares me though, you shoud see him watch TV without them :uh:
MWEISSEN, you helped me out with saying that you have ridden with contacts, he wondered if he would be able to do that. He's considering getting contacts. Thanks!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
and I've settled in with prescription saftey glasses with the side deflectors attached. I just got a new pair this winter with the color changing lens and bifocal transition lenses. It's been the best set up so far. As long as I'm moving I don't get fogged up.

I knew you were happy with your setup. I can't remember if you wear goggles though. Do you?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
Have you considered Lasik? After glasses and contacts for 25 years, it is sooooo nice being able to see all the time. I know some people aren't a candidate for one reason or another though.

Yeah I have, and with the junk going on the past year and a half that idea has been on hold, but now it can move to the forefront again! Up to last year, my contacts did OK, but now they fall off all of the time when I ride. (Interesting that when I road ride they don't bother me at all!) I have to wear reading glasses now, but that's no big deal. Glad you mentioned it!

Did you get the box I sent you yet?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
MXGirl230 said:
MWEISSEN, you helped me out with saying that you have ridden with contacts, he wondered if he would be able to do that. He's considering getting contacts. Thanks!

Yeah, he sure could! The thing he'll want to do it keep the filter area cleaned before each ride, otherwise the dirt and dust buildup used to give me problems. Also a good fit of the goggle to the face was important, and I found that Pro-Grip goggles were best for me with my contacts.

It's only recently they've been a problem, and it's because my eyes are creating as many tearing as they did before.

There's supposed to be some newer contacts on the market that aren't as susceptible to this problem. I've gotta get my eyes rechecked in April, I think I'll look into that. Does anyone use these, or know about these?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
bbarel said:
Just close your eyes and twist the throttle.

In other words - "use the Force Luke!!" :rotfl:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
After wearing contacts for 20 years, the deciding moment for Lasik came in a blink of the eye.

It was 1999, guys ski trip out west. A resort about 3 hours from where we were staying got dumped on, so we made the road trip over for the day. Second run down, had a normal, involuntary blink, and the left contact popped out on my cheek. I could see it laying there on the inside edge of the goggle lens. By the time I stopped to pop it back in, it had dried out from the cold, dry air... nothing left but a brittle, malformed piece of plastic. :(

So there I was, 3 hours from my replacement contacts, skiing one eye blind, in some of the best snow conditions I've ever been in. :bang:

I got home, and 2 months later had the Lasik done. :cool:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
... Did you get the box I sent you yet?
:cool: Thanks Mark! Watched the Trials TV this morning w/ Zach... those guys are amazing. I need a Sherco for cross-training. :rotfl:

Haven't got to the "How To Win An Enduro" series yet, but thanks! Maybe it will help compensate for a lack of natural talent... :think:

And one other note about Lasik.... it did take about 1 year after surgery for my vision to improve to the point where it is today. Under bright conditions, it was perfect. But at night and in dimly lit rooms, it was hazy and fuzzy at first. Halos around lights at night were bothersome too. Very, very slowly it improved to where it is only slightly noticeable today. Also, my near-sightedness, which was perfect, was adversely affected by Lasik. It was an eventuality anyway, but it advanced the state of my nearsightedness by about 5 years. So I can empathize with some of the older riders like RickShaw. ;)

And as with anything else like this, everyone's results will vary. Either way, I am 100% thrilled with the results.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
:cool: Thanks Mark! Watched the Trials TV this morning w/ Zach... those guys are amazing. I need a Sherco for cross-training. :rotfl: .

What a coincidence...I bet the one DVD had a rather goofy looking mug shot of a certain bit of biker trash on it? :nener:

I was watching the same stuff today myself. Amazing to watch what those guys can do!

(Mark...i got that box to - thanks!)

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I wear contacts all the time. Rarely have a problem with them. I have been thinking of the Lasic but havent jumped on the wagon yet.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
My wife saw the CD sitting on the desk.... she was visibly "disturbed" by the photo! :)

What's disturbing about this???

Attachments

• TONGUE~1.JPG
    TONGUE~1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom