RECENT POSTS

Goin to my first race this weekend

Well im doin my first race this weekend.I was just needin sme tips to adapt to a new track in a few laps and how to hit new jumps.Ill be racin 85d9(I thought it only went to c)But ive got a handle on the basics of jumpin and turns.But hittin new jumps is scary for me and i need help.Any advice would be really appreciated.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Don't try to clear the jumps for a couple of laps. Some jumps will probably be to big for you to clear though. I had been racing mx for every weekend for a month from halfway throuh march to halfway through april, then I went to an arenacross race and hit the first table and it almost through me over the bars and launched me up really far, because the arenacross jumps launch you.
Well anyway, since your racing D, a lot of the kids probably wont know what they're doing. try to stay away from those kids.
Be careful when passing people because if you don't have that much experience passing, you could end up hitting them. Practice starts to, you don't want to be flipping over off the start.
If there's jumps that you dont know what speed to hit them at, follow a faster rider off the jump. Don't try things above you're skill level. If you're gonna try anything new, do it in practice, not during the race.
Hope that helps.

i was gonna take it pretty easy but i dont wanna look like a wannabe.And i really have no clue how to start,And i dont know if its a concrete or dirt start

150rguy

I got fat bars!
On dirt, you want your head to be over the handlebars, leaning forward. Have the clutch so the bike is trying to creep forward. When the card goes sideways, have the bike at like 3/5 throttle (atleast that's what I do) and the let the clutch out when he gate droppes, then pin it. On cement DONT lean forward, have your weight centered. On cement you're trying to get all the traction you can to your back wheel. And on cement, hold the throttle at like 1/4 throttle, so you don't spin your back wheel to much.
As for not wanting to look like a wanabee- don't even think about what people think of you.
Good luck

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
N. Texas SP
To Start: Sit as far up on the seat/tank as you can. Elbows out, second gear, and your feet as far foward as you can keep them and maintain your balance. Watch the mechanism on the gate that allows it to drop, not the gate. Hold your throttle at 1/2 throttle feather the clutch. Use the clutch to keep the front wheel down rather than backing off the throttle. As you tap out 2nd gear, grab third and start positioning your body for the first turn. If there is enough room, grab fourth.
One last thing, set back a foot from the gate and ride the track. The better you get the more you can push. Have fun!

BSWIFT

N. Texas SP
Watch the starts of several races before yours. Count the time from when the started points at the last rider and the gate drops. Many starters are consistant and will allow you to anticipate the gate drop. Whether concrete or dirt, feather the clutch out, don't dump it.

Ive been ridin a track not far from my house almost every day for a little over a month now.im not sure how im gonna do at the race cause ive never even seen this track.my friend raced it and got first and i could keep pace with him but ive never done jumpin side by side with some 1 either.

Your fears can keep you safe,or open a door you did not know exists!Having fear is normal,it can control you,or you it!You need more practice,do not think about winning,yet,think about finishing!I will always say racing is the best practice for racing,except when the rider is a hazard on the track,in their class.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Make sure you arrive plenty early so you can walk the track, you should be able to figure out most of the track by walking it. When practice rolls around take it easy for a lap checking out the entire track then start to pick it up a bit, only jump the stuff you are completely comfortable doing. Again when your race comes up race your own race, do not worry about looking like a wannabee, or trying to impress people. Keep in mind a wannabee is on the sidelines wishing he was at the gate like you are! Most of all have fun and relish the day, your first race only happens once so make it a fun experience, there will be many more races for you to worry about what position you finished in.

BSWIFT

N. Texas SP
What Chilli said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jon K.

Subscriber
Derek, above all, don't throw up in your helmet before the race.

To avoid this, wait 'til the last minute to put it on. :laugh:

A serious suggestion, you might consider waiting until the pack gets to the first turn before leaving the start line.

This will take some pressure off of you, and maybe you can have a bit of fun picking riders off one by one from the back. Almost certainly there will be a rider or two slower than you.

Oh yeah, and what Chili said!

i feel like im guna puke before a race, is this normal, i thaught it was bad but once im riding im fine, and when i get rly tired i have to spit alot in the race, is this common, lol

I feel like I'm gona puke every morning I have to get up to go to work :coocoo: :laugh:

Be well hydrated before hand!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
i felt really nervouse before the gate dropped in my first race, then when it dropped I didn't know what I was worried about. Now that i've done so many races, im not even very nervouse at the gate, just a little intimidated.