May 5, 2007
Well im doin my first race this weekend.I was just needin sme tips to adapt to a new track in a few laps and how to hit new jumps.Ill be racin 85d9(I thought it only went to c)But ive got a handle on the basics of jumpin and turns.But hittin new jumps is scary for me and i need help.Any advice would be really appreciated.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Don't try to clear the jumps for a couple of laps. Some jumps will probably be to big for you to clear though. I had been racing mx for every weekend for a month from halfway throuh march to halfway through april, then I went to an arenacross race and hit the first table and it almost through me over the bars and launched me up really far, because the arenacross jumps launch you.
Well anyway, since your racing D, a lot of the kids probably wont know what they're doing. try to stay away from those kids.
Be careful when passing people because if you don't have that much experience passing, you could end up hitting them. Practice starts to, you don't want to be flipping over off the start.
If there's jumps that you dont know what speed to hit them at, follow a faster rider off the jump. Don't try things above you're skill level. If you're gonna try anything new, do it in practice, not during the race.
Hope that helps.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
On dirt, you want your head to be over the handlebars, leaning forward. Have the clutch so the bike is trying to creep forward. When the card goes sideways, have the bike at like 3/5 throttle (atleast that's what I do) and the let the clutch out when he gate droppes, then pin it. On cement DONT lean forward, have your weight centered. On cement you're trying to get all the traction you can to your back wheel. And on cement, hold the throttle at like 1/4 throttle, so you don't spin your back wheel to much.
As for not wanting to look like a wanabee- don't even think about what people think of you.
Good luck

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
To Start: Sit as far up on the seat/tank as you can. Elbows out, second gear, and your feet as far foward as you can keep them and maintain your balance. Watch the mechanism on the gate that allows it to drop, not the gate. Hold your throttle at 1/2 throttle feather the clutch. Use the clutch to keep the front wheel down rather than backing off the throttle. As you tap out 2nd gear, grab third and start positioning your body for the first turn. If there is enough room, grab fourth.
One last thing, set back a foot from the gate and ride the track. The better you get the more you can push. Have fun!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Watch the starts of several races before yours. Count the time from when the started points at the last rider and the gate drops. Many starters are consistant and will allow you to anticipate the gate drop. Whether concrete or dirt, feather the clutch out, don't dump it.

May 5, 2007
Ive been ridin a track not far from my house almost every day for a little over a month now.im not sure how im gonna do at the race cause ive never even seen this track.my friend raced it and got first and i could keep pace with him but ive never done jumpin side by side with some 1 either.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Your fears can keep you safe,or open a door you did not know exists!Having fear is normal,it can control you,or you it!You need more practice,do not think about winning,yet,think about finishing!I will always say racing is the best practice for racing,except when the rider is a hazard on the track,in their class.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Make sure you arrive plenty early so you can walk the track, you should be able to figure out most of the track by walking it. When practice rolls around take it easy for a lap checking out the entire track then start to pick it up a bit, only jump the stuff you are completely comfortable doing. Again when your race comes up race your own race, do not worry about looking like a wannabee, or trying to impress people. Keep in mind a wannabee is on the sidelines wishing he was at the gate like you are! Most of all have fun and relish the day, your first race only happens once so make it a fun experience, there will be many more races for you to worry about what position you finished in.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
What Chilli said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Derek, above all, don't throw up in your helmet before the race.

To avoid this, wait 'til the last minute to put it on. :laugh:

A serious suggestion, you might consider waiting until the pack gets to the first turn before leaving the start line.

This will take some pressure off of you, and maybe you can have a bit of fun picking riders off one by one from the back. Almost certainly there will be a rider or two slower than you.

Oh yeah, and what Chili said!

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
i feel like im guna puke before a race, is this normal, i thaught it was bad but once im riding im fine, and when i get rly tired i have to spit alot in the race, is this common, lol

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
i felt really nervouse before the gate dropped in my first race, then when it dropped I didn't know what I was worried about. Now that i've done so many races, im not even very nervouse at the gate, just a little intimidated.

May 10, 2007
the first start is the hardest.

after that you get the hang of it.

what i do on a new track is follow someone who is about the same(maybe a little faster) pace as me. then i just try to keep up w/ them.

remember if its a d heat (right??) then other riders will be trying to get the hang of it too. dont worry what you look like. it really isnt a big deal.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
the first start is the hardest.

after that you get the hang of it.

what i do on a new track is follow someone who is about the same(maybe a little faster) pace as me. then i just try to keep up w/ them.

remember if its a d heat (right??) then other riders will be trying to get the hang of it too. dont worry what you look like. it really isnt a big deal.
I like to try to keep up with guys faster than me in practice so it's pushing me to be faster

May 5, 2007
I dont mean to drag the thread out but could you help me with passing stategy.Remeber though im on a bone stock cr 80,but i did get a new tire!ALot of my friends are gonna be at this race,so im dont wanna wait tilll every 1 gets through the first turn.I must sound self cocious.But any good passin strategies would be appreciated.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
derek the 2 stroke said:
I dont mean to drag the thread out but could you help me with passing stategy.Remeber though im on a bone stock cr 80,but i did get a new tire!ALot of my friends are gonna be at this race,so im dont wanna wait tilll every 1 gets through the first turn.I must sound self cocious.But any good passin strategies would be appreciated.
When passing, take the inside. If it's a right hand turn, get to the inside come around the corner, and try to kinda of cut the person off. Dont get so close that you could hit them though. Dont try to pass people that are faster than you. It's so annoying. On practice days I get guys on 250s that are begginers and are trying to pass me, and then when I slow down and let them pass, I have to go pass them because they are slower than me.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
150rguy said:
When passing, take the inside. If it's a right hand turn, get to the inside come around the corner, and try to kinda of cut the person off. Dont get so close that you could hit them though. Dont try to pass people that are faster than you. It's so annoying. On practice days I get guys on 250s that are begginers and are trying to pass me, and then when I slow down and let them pass, I have to go pass them because they are slower than me.
If they caught you and passed you how are they slower then you?
They are faster in sections and maybe you are faster in others- then again maybe they are using you in practice as a practice pass over and over and over.
You can not always make passes by going inside (experienced riders will protect that inside line against you anyways) so look at the track and plan good areas where you feel you will be fast and aim to pass in those places- but always be ready to shake up your lines because if a guy bobbles you have to move in then and make the pass. Some corners are going to have better/ faster outside lines that will allow passing.
As far as looking good for your friends do not try to impress them by being careless and riding over your ability. It is your first race and I doubt you are going to win it so have fun. Wait in the gate for everyone to get around the corner and then go out and pick off as many as you can. Tell your buddies the bike stalled out and that is why you were back at the gate. They will be impressed that you came back and still passed X riders actually they will be impressed that you went out on the track and raced- so have fun first win later in the season.

May 5, 2007
I wont push myself to the point of wrecking.Im not gonna kill myself to but i wanna do good.i wont hurt my self but i always try to push myself a bit so i get better.I dont plan to go for the hole shot but i will try to get mid pack and pass as many as i can.Is that a bad idea?Remember im gonna be in d class.

i really apreciate all the help but im constantly thinkin about this.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Gary Semics has a pretty good set of DVD's.. On the one I have, he shows how to get a good start.

He says you should put your feet right in front of the pegs. Then, when you come off the gate, you can just pull your left leg up and grab second on the way to putting your foot on the peg. Use the other leg for balance.

Like the others said here, use the clutch to keep the front wheel down, and pin the throttle..

You may want to do some practice starts before you get to the gate for the first time.. So you can see how much clutch you need to keep the front wheel down and the back wheel moving!

I'm 40 and going to line up at the gate at Redbud for my first real race this summer. It's gonna be great time, and I could care less how many people are standing on the fence thinking I look like a goober... At least I'll be riding!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Quit thinking and just do it!No really,you need a clear head,and stay focused on racing!That is why I ran the thread on what song do you race with.If and when you get faster you need to see your lines and race,not think about this or worry about that.Put your race face on and go for it at your own speed!Pick your favorite music and run it in your head,whatever relaxes or motivates you.Do not make excuses or make unachievable goals,just go and see where you stack up,nobody ever won who did not finish!

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
Just go out there and have fun, dont worry about what other people will think, everyone had to race their first race just like you. I lost my first race, but i did'nt beat my self up about it, because i had fun, and i learned a lot from it.

Top Bottom