Going back to a 2 smoker-a couple of ???'s

syko

Jan 10, 2004
After spending 4 years on a four banger and during that time owning all but the blue beasties i've decided to give up on the 4 strokers and go back to the humble 2 smoke.

As the only bike I have never had is a Yam i thought i'd go for an 07 yz250.
So i've sad goodbye to my 07 sxf250 which was a pretty sad moment (a truly awesome bike!) and hopefully i'll be taking delivery of the Yam today.

anyway, it's been a whilst since i've had a 2 smoker and as i said i've never had a Yam so i just wanted a bit of info...

Oil wise, both gearbox and engine, whats good for the yams.
I've been a silkolene and a motorex user generally so what does the Yam prefer?

also, here in the Uk we are lucky that we can get 97 octane fuel straight out our pumps. i've always used the higher octane stuff in my four bangers but should i continue to use the 97 octane in the 2 stroker?

and lastly, break in?
any tips for breaking the beast in?
Cheers

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
i would mix klotz 32:1 for my gas. and they also have great gear oil that was the brand i always trusted when fiding a 2 stroke plus klots smells like candy when its burning. and the yamaha is the best 2 stroke that is still made there the only ones still trying to make a better 2 stroke the others are all 4 stroke.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Klotz?
Not sure that we have that oil available here in the UK.
I'd need something that I could easily get hold of.

I was stuck between another KTM or the YAM.
I do love the KTM's but the yam just won my heart as far 2 smokers go.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i run amsoil in my bike, great stuff, but doesn't smell as good as klotz

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Silkolene and Motorex make good products, if you're happy with them no need to switch. I'd stick with the highest octane fuel you can for the YZ, break in is something there seems to be 2 schools on some advise as the manual states and others break them in hard like they plan to race them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom