Going to first SX this weekend (Atlanta), what do I do...

jblalock

Feb 28, 2005
Taking my boys (5 and 8) to the Atlanta SX this weekend. I have never been to a pro SX race and need some insight on what to do to make the most of our trip.

Can we go in the pits, get autographs, etc? It says that the gates open at 12:00, but do we need to be there earlier?

I read that you can get pit passes on Subway cups in the Atlanta area, but I called a couple of Subways and they do not have any. I am 5 hours away from Atlanta, we will be driving over on Friday.

My boys live for this, and I want to make the most of it for them.

Any insight/advice is appreciated.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The doors open at 12:30, and that is also when the first set of practices will be on the track. You should be able to buy pit passes at the track, and go into the pits from 12:30-5:30. There are bikes on the track from 12:30-5:30 (practice and pre-qualifiers), then a break from 5:30-7:00, and the night show starts at 7:00 with all of the intro stuff (National Anthem, Rider Intros, etc.), and the first heat race goes off the line at 7:30.

Here is a schedule - have fun!! Bring your own sharpie marker, and maybe put the boys in light colored t-shirts or jerseys, if you want to have their shirts autographed. Or hats are a good idea too. Most riders have autograph posters too at their rig. And there will be fun little booths set up in the pits, like at St. Louis, they have a #22 Reed replica bike whipped with a finish line in the background that you could sit on and take pictures, Makita has their tools set-up, there are videos and vendors and booths and a bunch of good stuff to check out. :cool:

Saturday
12:30pm-12:42pm Supercross Lites Non-Seeded Practice Group A
12:44pm-12:56pm Supercross Lites Non-Seeded Practice Group B
12:58pm-1:10pm Supercross Lites Seeded Practice
1:12pm-1:24pm Supercross Seeded Practice
1:26pm-1:38pm Supercross Non-Seeded Practice Group A
1:40pm-1:52pm Supercross Non-Seeded Practice Group B
1:54pm-2:09pm KTM Junior Supercross Exhibition - Practice
2:10pm-2:35pm Track Maintenance
2:35pm-2:45pm Supercross Lites Non-Seeded Practice Group A
2:47pm-2:57pm Supercross Lites Non-Seeded Practice Group B
2:59pm-3:09pm Supercross Lites Seeded Practice
3:11pm-3:21pm Supercross Seeded Practice
3:23pm-3:33pm Supercross Non-Seeded Practice Group A
3:35pm-3:45pm Supercross Non-Seeded Practice Group B
3:50pm-5:20pm Qualifying Heats
(Total number of riders will determine the number of Qualifying & Consolation Races in each class. Race order will be SX Lites followed by SX)
5:20pm-5:35pm KTM Junior Supercross Exhibition - Practice
5:35pm-6:45pm Track Maintenance

7:00pm-7:20pm Opening Ceremonies
7:30pm-7:40pm Supercross Lites Heat # 1 - 6 Laps - 20 Riders (1 - 9 to Main) (10 - 20 to LCQ)
7:40pm-7:50pm Supercross Lites Heat # 2 - 6 Laps - 20 Riders (1 - 9 to Main) (10 - 20 to LCQ)
7:50pm-8:00pm Supercross Heat # 1 - 8 Laps - 20 Riders (1 - 4 to Main) (5 - 20 to Semi 1)
8:00pm-8:10pm Supercross Heat # 2 - 8 Laps - 20 Riders (1 - 4 to Main) (5 - 20 to Semi 1)
8:10pm-8:25pm KTM Junior Supercross Exhibition -3 Laps - 15 Riders
8:25pm-8:35pm Track Maintenance
8:35pm-8:40pm Supercross Lites Last Chance Qualifier - 4 Laps - 22 Riders (1 - 4 to Main)
8:40pm-8:50pm Supercross Semi #1 - 6 Laps -16 Riders (1 - 5 to Main) (6 - 16 to LCQ)
8:50pm-9:00pm Supercross Semi #2 - 6 Laps -16 Riders (1 - 5 to main) (6 - 16 to LCQ)
9:00pm-9:10pm Track Maintenance
9:10pm-9:20pm Supercross Last Chance Qualifier - 6 Laps - 22 Riders (1 & 2 to Main Event)
9:20pm-9:25pm Supercross Lites Sighting Lap
9:25pm-9:45pm Supercross Lites Main Event - 15 Laps - 22 riders
9:50pm-9:55pm Supercross Sighting Lap
9:55pm-10:15pm Supercross Main Event - 20 Laps - 20 Riders

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Maybe some local Atlanta DRN'er can score some passes for you. Every year the local thugs steal all the passes they can get and sell them for $10 in the parking lots outside the Dome. A lot of them go to jail for that, too. :cool:

Since this is your first year, you need to concentrate on hitting the pits early to get all the free swag you can. Most of the teams and sponsors give away all kinds of crap - anything from posters to keychains to candy samples.

I'd recommend NOT trying to get autographs. If you don't get in line by 12:30, you'll be SOL anyway. The riders don't sign until later in the afternoon, so you'll be looking at three or four hours of standing in line for each rider. Concentrate on snagging posters, and start with the big teams first. The support teams and priavteers will have plenty of posters and stuff later in the day.

The pits are always in the World Congress Center, and it's quite a hike from the Dome. It's an indoor hike, but it's close to a quarter mile.

Try to get into the Dome early enough to catch some qualifiers. They're always entertaining to watch.

Parking anywhere close to the Dome will cost you from $10 to $30. It's worth it. If you don't want to drop coin on parking, you can find a nearby MARTA train station and ride directly into the Dome area from one of their convenient (and cheap) parking areas.

Food is pretty spendy, too. You can sneak in some snacks, but you'll have to leave your cooler outside.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
evenslower said:
Bring ear plugs!!!!!!!!!

What? :)

Excellent advice, especially if you're anywhere close to floor level.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
The food court at the CNN center has reasonably priced food. Make sure to show your kids the world map on the tile floor! The lines for the top riders can be a pain, but some give out tickets early in the afternoon for late afternoon autograph sessions. My kids have gotten Jeremy, Chad, and Ricky's autograph and photos the last couple of years without too much trouble. The hot ticket though is to get the rest of the riders to sigh stuff and talk to your kids, which they will be happy to do.
Take a camera, get there early, and TAKE EARPLUGS!!!
You will have a great time!!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Don't forget to have fun :)

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
SpDyKen said:
The food court at the CNN center has reasonably priced food.

Yes, and they have a Chick Fil-a! :cool:

CNN Center is next to Phillips Arena, which is next to the Dome. If you have time, you can check out the Olympic Park also.

Here's a link to a map of the Dome/CNN Cneter/World Congress Center. It's a pdf file, so you can print it out.

LINK to Dome map

jblalock

Feb 28, 2005
Thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to the trip, and want to make sure I do my homework before going. I'd hate to find out too late that there was something cool that we missed..

When I went on my honeymoon many years ago, each day there were people taking Scooba diving leassons in the pool. I thought that would be cool, but we were on tight budget, so I never checked it out. I found out the day we were leaving that they were free and anyone staying at the hotel could sign up. :bang:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Last year it took us at least an hour, maybe two, to go the first two miles to get to the interstate afterwards. It was nice to park close, but it was a pain when everyone left at the same time. I'm thinking of trying the MARTA route this time.

BTW, during qualifying you can sit anywhere. We had seats higher up for the heats and mains, but went down to the lower level in the morning to watch the qualifiers.

If you're going to hang around several of the pros usually go to Bremen the next day for a benefit, don't they?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
They are predicting rain and 38 deg. Saturday night. If you have any time to kill your kids will like checking out the fountain in the lobby of the World Congress Center. It's 3 or 4 stories high (take some pennies for them to throw in).
Over the ear hearing protection would NOT be inappropriate, if you have any. I am not looking forward to the noise of 100% 4 strokes this year! Good luck and have a great time! :cool:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
jblalock said:
I read that you can get pit passes on Subway cups in the Atlanta area, but I called a couple of Subways and they do not have any.

Send me a PM (as soon as possible) with your address and I'll hook you up.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
If you're going to hang around several of the pros usually go to Bremen the next day for a benefit, don't they?

The Bremen charity race usually has people like Lusk, RC, Shae Bentley, and other past and present pros in attendance.

Plus, they have a sweet pitbike track and pro rider gear auctions during the day on Sunday.

Bremen is on the way back to Mississippi for you too.

Here's a link to the charity ride website: LINK

Top Bottom