BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I'm thinking about ordering gold valves for my bike can anybody give me any input before I get and install them? I installed the .38 springs from Freddete and they seem just a bit harsh no matter how far I back off of the compression adjusters. I mean harsh on fist size rocks and ruts runninig across the trail. I want the plushness of the stock springs but I need the extra the stiffer spring gives for hard charging. I weigh 200# and don't use the bike much on a track but do a lot of fast riding on rocky and open trails. I'm a pretty decent rider and former racer so is there any adjustability to the gold valves? I know I want it all LOL. One more question does anybody use ATF in their forks instead of the 8 dollar a bottle fork oil and what type should I use if I should at all. Thanks for the advice.

BB007

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
I ride an '03 220 and put the Gold Valves in about a month ago. Huge difference for me. Very plush in the woods over rocks and roots, but never any bottoming even over fast whoops. I went to the Race Tech site, filled out the questionaire, weight, type of riding etc, and took they're recommendation
It worked well for me. Can't say how you would like it, but I think if you answer the form according to your riding style, I think you'll be happy. Good Luck

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
BB007 -- I also just installed Fredette's .38 springs and found them too harsh. If you buuy the GVs from Fredette [as I did] I think you'll find the valving too stiff as Jeff apparently configures the shimstack for enduro riding and it's several "stages" firmer than Race-Tech's recommendations. I'm going to try less preload [12mm now] and reconfigure the shims to RT's recommendations. You really can't tell anything with the stock KDX valving as it's way too harsh in high speed compression. ATF is commonly used but I've heard everything from 7.5W to 12W. With the GVs, 5W is where you want to be. I've come to the conclusion that not all KDXs are created equal ! My riding buddy and I have "identical" 220s. He installed .40 or .41 springs up front and his forks are softer than mine ????

Top Bottom