Woodsplitter

Oct 10, 2005
Hey Guys,
Ive been reading on the DRN forums for a while(very helpfull), and Ive got my 1st question.Im riding a 04 rm 250 and I will be servicing my suspension soon (oil,nitrogen,etc.) and new springs .49 fork and 5.5 shock.
My question is do you think I should install gold valves and revalve, or if necessary just revalve the stock suspension.In your opinion are gold valves worth the money?

CROGGR

Jul 6, 2005
I really like the gold valves! It puts you in charge of your own valving. If you are mechanically inclined and can tell what changes need to be done....the gold valves are for you! If you can't tell the difference from a shock having too much preload to a shock that has too much static sag...your probably better of with a professional suspension tuners best guess! The instructions are straight forward and easy to understand and it really is a lot of fun! For me it was a very good way to go and I ended up with a setting that was far better than 3 other top suspension companies attempts!

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
i think the biggest deal with the RT gold valves is that your buying the set up and the valve come with it, if you have the know how and time you can revalve your stock stuff and get it to work good

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
Your stock valves will work just as good as a gold valve!! It's a gimmick but the instructions will lead you through the process. If you do some research on these forum sights you should be fine! There are a lot of people out here that are willing to help out. All the magor suspension company's use the stock valves, Enzo, RG3, Factory connection etc. So you be the judge!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
chrismxer said:
Your stock valves will work just as good as a gold valve!! It's a gimmick but the instructions will lead you through the process. If you do some research on these forum sights you should be fine! There are a lot of people out here that are willing to help out. All the magor suspension company's use the stock valves, Enzo, RG3, Factory connection etc. So you be the judge!!

I agree. Don't waste your money.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
The biggest benefit is the valving chart for first timers. It gives you a direction/base line to start with and then you can mod as you wish. I would not have any idea how to make the fork softer in the beginning of the stroke for example. Once you have the guide and starting point it becomes alot clearer as to what each specific stack does. In my opinion you are buying a tutorial. All that said I like mine!

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
the valves are real pretty! probably not worth the money but the training that comes with them i think is..... i really enjoyed building my forks and i look forward to building my shock as well

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
yam 3 said:
The biggest benefit is the valving chart for first timers. It gives you a direction/base line to start with and then you can mod as you wish. Once you have the guide and starting point it becomes alot clearer as to what each specific stack does. In my opinion you are buying a tutorial.

Very good point.

Jim Havins

Oct 30, 2001
The one for the fork is a waste. The video is old and is of little help and they don't come with very many shims. On the other hand, the one for the shock is good for the beginner. It has a good video and a fairly generous supply of shims. I still wouldn't use the valve but you can chaulk up the cost to education. What you learn about the shock is actually helpful with the shock. Just my opinion though.....

+30

Aug 2, 2005
shock

I used gv's in my 03 cr250 for the vet class, and I liked the setup, I wanted to take a little of the initial harshness out of the picture to reduce headshake in high speed chop and help settle into corners, but, this was mostly accomplished with the correct spring and mid vlv changes, I dont think the "high flow" piston is the magic bullet. Like they said the video that accompanies the parts is from 1997 or so , but is still informative, the vavling charts are the only thing that is worth the money imho. Another issue for me is the shock piston, on the GV's a coated split ring is installed over the piston, as far as I know mine has never migrated out, I have replaced it at every oil change as precaution but I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with it...

Top Bottom