Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
Right on skipro! It sucks that some one overly opinionated person has to clutter up a really great forum with such egotistical vitriol. Quite a drag, really, to have to suffer through reading personal attacks that clog up the friendly give and take of an arena such as this...c'est la vie.

Jaybird, it seems that on every topic upon which you choose to set your world-weary eyes, you are the man ...Get a grip. It seems myself and more than a few others have been offended by your unfiltered outgassing.

A friendly suggestion: just shut up and ride.

Dave

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Synthetic at 20:1? What kind of thinking is that? That must be burning like a wet log and sure can't be keepin the power valve as clean. If that isn't a true spode then I don't know what is.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Redbaron, Basically what it comes down to is, oil is a lubricant. Some people think or have experienced that less oil is ok while more is a waste.
I believe that the less option is fine if your riding style is mostly not hard on the pipe. If you are running higher rpm than more lubricant is needed as opposed to less. So the question comes down to what are you personnally comfortable with so you can enjoy riding instead of stressing everytime you go out. I would start with incrementing your fuel-oil ratio from more oil to less oil and find a happy medium that does not make you worry. If all I was doing was slow second gear stuff, 50:1 is probably ok. But running flat out for minutes on end would surely blow a piston.
I run at 28:1 with normal Castrol super outboard. Living in England it is the only thing I can get on the base and does not cost 6x as much as the British economy.

Fredette said my engine looked good (I had a particle score the cylinder wall) and recently I looked at the top of the piston after two years running. She had no carbon build up at all.
I have heard that if I ran the 28:1 ratio with belray oil, it would of gummed everything up long ago.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
just shut up and ride

:clue:

Only way I ever found to shut up a jay-bird is with my BB gun, otherwise he's just gonna keep making that irritating squawking noise! :joke:

Not that I'm saying we should shoot Jaybird.

But he's not gonna "shut up and ride" you are just fueling his fire...

I think he likes coming in here to see who he can rile up, why else would he come in here?

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
Good point wibby,

I've dealt with that type before and as such, a fire without fuel will burn out quickly.

My silence will be deafening; to quote ol' Forrest, "that's all I have to say about that"...

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
tedkxkdx said:
Redbaron, Basically what it comes down to is, oil is a lubricant. Some people think or have experienced that less oil is ok while more is a waste.
I believe that the less option is fine if your riding style is mostly not hard on the pipe. If you are running higher rpm than more lubricant is needed as opposed to less. So the question comes down to what are you personnally comfortable with so you can enjoy riding instead of stressing everytime you go out. I would start with incrementing your fuel-oil ratio from more oil to less oil and find a happy medium that does not make you worry. If all I was doing was slow second gear stuff, 50:1 is probably ok. But running flat out for minutes on end would surely blow a piston.
I run at 28:1 with normal Castrol super outboard. Living in England it is the only thing I can get on the base and does not cost 6x as much as the British economy.

Fredette said my engine looked good (I had a particle score the cylinder wall) and recently I looked at the top of the piston after two years running. She had no carbon build up at all.
I have heard that if I ran the 28:1 ratio with belray oil, it would of gummed everything up long ago.
Well put Ted. About the particle score, quite a few KDX barrels had sharp edges on the ports from the plating that flaked off and causes a score. Some guys even file or work them out before even riding the bike for the first time. Mine has one, but it is below the ports. As long as the score is below the ports, it won't affect compression.
Jerry

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ted has made alot of sense and posted quite a nice write.

As for you loosers...your ignorance is the only thing that overrides your smart mouths.

And Skipro, just exactly what was it you wanted the moderator to do something about?
Yes, I did think it was directed at me (certian of it) but go ahead and spew something that sounds good.
Braahp.....I'll compare engine parts with you any day. Get a clue.

Man the stuff sure does fly in here. Seems like this is it's own little world and disassociated with the rest of DRN.
And anytime soemone has an opinion that differs from the classic answers that get thrown around, some of you go off. I say some of you should join Skipro and grow up.

No, I do NOT come here to rile anyone up. I stayed away from this forum for at least two years....but all the lame stuff I saw coming from here that was going unchallenged I thought that I would offer up my opinions and comments.
Take em or leave em, but keep your personal comments to yourselves.

I have no problems with Rooster, I've met the guy and he is a great fellow. Don;t try to read things into our exchange...side it was nunya to begin with.
As for Skipro, the guy has a personal vendetta that he wants to persue with me. Thats also nunya.

Delete me if you must, but I speak the truth about these folks. Just look at the apathy flowing from above. Amazing really.

Now go check your insulator tips.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Jay, with all due respect:
It's fine to debate about "facts" or "opinions". That's what forums are for. :) Comments like "spodes on hacked out KDX's" & "As for you losers" are uncalled for. Maybe any or all of us could stand to "grow up" in a given situation, but I gotta say that if any of my kids treated anyone with such disrespect they would receive a serious whuppin'. :p

"Can't we all just get along?" --
Rodney King

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
There are more than a few KDX riders in this forum who have quite a good grasp on the proper workings of an engine and all that it entails. Also, most of them could ride the snot out of me.
That being said, there are many great suggestions here on how to optimize ones jetting, amoung other things, so that top performance of the bike is realised.
There are also lots here that haven't a clue and they will take every bit of advise they get from here in an attempt to also put thier bike in the same performance condition.

When I say spodes on hacked out KDX's, surely you can't think I was reffering to all of the KDX riders in here?
I thought my point was simple and easy to understand....but perhaps not. A kid who has spent all of his Christmas money on a used, beat up, KDX has no business running as little oil as 50:1. I doubt very seriously that the kids in search of top performance are lugging around in second gear. Besides, who's to say that the guy lugging around in second gear doesn't have his lug circuit jetted way lean? More than likely, in his attemp to not only increase his performance, he is trying to get rid of spooge.
Again, that is an opinion. But I venture to say I'm not quite alone in this feeling.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to Jeff Fredette at all. I simply was trying to make a point.... besides, the man talked to his people, not Jeff.

But then here comes the bash crowd. Look, I could care less the little snyd remarks you guys make about me, I am pretty comfortable with my meager existance.
Of course it must be ok to post "Shut up and ride" and and that my "egotistical vitriol is cluttering up this fine place". SHeesh, man, if my kids get disrespected like that I couldn't blame them for defending themsleves.
I already know Skipro has a big chip on his shoulders, but I don't know this bleednspooge guy from Adam. I just accept that Braahp is clueless on this subject, judging from his comment.
Of course wibby has the impression that one has to be a current KDX rider to enjoy this forum. Maybe he hasn't considered that many other folks who are now riding different bikes, may have also been green at one time?

I didn't deserve the blasting I got. But I'm a big boy.
Y'all can enter into a discussion, or blast someone for deviating from the classic answers that you are used to, makes no difference to me.

Heck, try 100:1 Amsoil for all I care.....they CANT be wrong.

This whole thread was becaise redbaron was a bit edgy about running 50:1, and I absolutely feel he has good reason to be edgy about it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Of course wibby has the impression that one has to be a current KDX rider to enjoy this forum. Maybe he hasn't considered that many other folks who are now riding different bikes, may have also been green at one time?

That's not the way I see it at all Jaybird, I don't care what you ride, as long as your not some disrespectful arrrogant a** that has nothing better to do than call people names and put 'em down. (OOps looks like I just called you a couple names)

I think you just like coming in here STRUTTING yer stuff and talking yer TALK like yer the BIG rooster in the chicken COOP
(you may may no a thing or two but with all the SPOOGE coming out of you who really gives a HOOT?)

I bet you win over a lot of new CUSTOMERS in here! :joke:

but keep your personal comments to yourselves.

Maybe you oughta practice what you preach!

Or JUST SHUT-UP AND RIDE! :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
As I said before, your ignorance is the only thing that overrides your smart mouths.

Wibby, before you popped in with your little diatribe, who did I call a name? Who did I disrespect?
You better step back and take a look at yourself.

Get a clue, bleedinignorance.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Jaybird said:
who did I call a name? Who did I disrespect?

:clue:
Who did you call a name?

You've got to be kidding, right?

Which freaking TIME?

Well, I stepped back and took a look at myself, I'm naked as a jaybird! :ohmy:

PUCKER UP I got something just for you! :moon:

levert

Jan 29, 2002
This topic always brings out the opposing views. In my area it is evenly divided on the Amsoil 100:1 verses the std 20-40:1.Who ever you talk to knows best???
I still subscribe to the More oil is better.Oil provides the seal from piston ring to cylinder wall, better seal means more heat is transfered out, cooler running motor.I have run properly jetted motors with 32:1 with very little carbon and splooge buidup.I believe extra oil is essential for longevity on the main crank bearings.The only downfall I see is more smoke and the occasional spark plug change. Generally the smaller the motor the more oil is needed,Higher revs and poore oil migration.
These new oils,and they are good, were originally designed for guys chainsawing near each other.They required less smoke, generally chainsaws only run at one speed,FULL, it is way easier to jet something that really only sees the same load, unlike our bikes.
All outboard motors and the like are run with super high oil to get the maximum horsepower rating for a given size. In day to day running with modern oil injection the rates can be changed so you can idle all day and then zoom off to the new fishing hole with out extra oil in the crank dousing your plug.
I admit I'm older and still can't get my brain around 100:1, then again I keep my bike pretty much near wide open for long stretchs with no ill affect(lots of oil).
Maxima has a pretty good websight on oil, so does Mercury outboard.
I used to run my 85 CR500 at 20;1 on crap called big red, even though this oil was horrible, because of the shear quantity I had no problems, still have the old bike.
I presently run Klotz at 32:1 in the KDX, KTM ,RMX and CR.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Is it just me.... or has Wibby gotten cockier since he's been hangin' out with CC?? :laugh:

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
I see there is a lot of friction here, I posted before on this subject and you guys had a fuss and even I maid pop shots at Jaybird, But you know HE IS RIGHT 20 to one dose Make the most power I read it many years ago in dirt-bike mag were they tested all ratio and jeted each bike and dyno each for power and so fort. But for ME I am no A-rider MY bike is 9 years young and run 100 to 1 Hairscrambles- GNCC- Hard trail rideing 8 thou-mile now and still have 145 compression. I believe the key is to Jet not quit spot-on like many have said THE MORE OIL the better, But to each his own, and remember any OIL is better than no oil we all know what that will do.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wow....this thread has been up only 10 days and already has over 1100 viewings.
Almost as many as Skipro's big mod thread, which should be in the archives. (eyeroll)

Don't some of you feel silly knowing everyone sees how you act?

(ok,ok...Im done now) lol

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
To each his own... I side on balance and run in between the 20:1 and 100:1 ratios. 40:1 is a good ration... not quite 50:1 which kinda scares me. Been ridin' since the early 70's and back then you didn't go higher than 30:1 period. Times change and so do products.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You are absolutly right rethnal. So they are gone, in deference to the others here, in case anyone misconstrues why I eliminated them.
And Jaybird, interesting signature line. Sounds like the chorus to "Disturbed" by "Liberate"

Last edited:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
rethnal said:
Is it just me.... or has Wibby gotten cockier since he's been hangin' out with CC?? :laugh:

I think he started drinking more beer too :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom