holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've been looking at (and started using) Golden Spectro premix concentrate. For mixing instructions it says-

52:1 (normal)
42:1 (severe conditions)
64:1 (technical conditions)

It doesn't mention following the motocycle manufacturer's recommendations.

Even though it's says "concentrate", I'm wondering what gives them the nerve to suggest such lean oil/gas ratios, when a 100% synthetic such as Honda HP is strict on 32:1.

Also, it seems that I used the stuff thirty years ago in my DKW - same 12 oz bottle and same mixing recommendations. I would think that the formula has changed over the years. :confused:

Anyone have any experience with this oil? Craparral has a ton of it on their shelves, so somebody must be using it.

Last edited:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Prolly get myself in trouble here but when I got back into riding in the mid 90s on the advice of a friend I tried Spectro in a brand new KX. Got the jetting dialed in quickly and kept it that way but when I did the top-end I had more carbon than I have ever seen before or since. I ran 50:1 but did not feel comfortable with that ratio. Not sure how many people out there run that stuff anymore but I won't, there are a lot better products (IMO) out there :p

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I found Golden Spectro synthetic to be a bit dirty as well. Quite expensive too.
I would never follow recommendations from the oil Mfg. on ratios, no matter what oil I used.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've also discovered that Golden Spectro is dirty oil. Back in the days before power valves it was good stuff but it will gunk up your power valves and will require you to do teardown to clean them more. May I suggest Mobil 1 MX 2T?
It's your bike but if it's going in that 125 I'd stick at 32:1 and jet it. (They get the pee revved otta them) Kawie botttom ends have been known to grenade if they don't get enough oil.

Last edited:

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
I am also a convert from Golden Spectro, I now use Mobil 1 MX2T. I could never jet my bike correctly with the Spectro, always mucho spooge dripping from the tail pipe. The MX2T burns much cleaner :thumb:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I ran spectro at 50:1 in my kdx for a few years with no problems whatsoever. The powervalve did require a bit more cleaning, but I didnt experience any excess spooge once jetted correctly. Although I have had good experiences with it, I subsequently switched to Yamalube at 40:1. It seems to be readily available just about anywhere and the price is fairly constant.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Here's my take. I've always used it and ran it 50:1 on my previous bike. It was pretty dirty but never had any problems with it. I now run it between 32-40:1 based on what I'm doing. I've experienced more gunk problems than ever. I know the manufacturers say 32:1 but with spectro, it seems a bit too heavy. I'm kicking around going to another brand but not sure yet. I've never experienced problems with spectro until I dropped the mixture to 32:1 and 40:1. I might try and run it a little higher, closer to 50:1 and see what happens. My powervalve was beyond dirty and I had even rejetted leaner. My .02 cents

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Ron: I have had excellent result with maxima super M, and have heard nothing but good things about it.

i used to run Motul 600, but could never get rid of that last bit of spooge despite jetting really lean (leaner than i wnated to go!) i swapped to the maxima and its much better, i cant explain why!
;
32:1 is a good area in my opinion, i dont like the idea of 50:1!:p

djr

Apr 22, 2002
12 oz. bottle to 4 gal. premium-unlead and 1 gal. race gas
2000 KX 250 full Pro-Curcuit
2000 KDX 220 stock including jets
past bikes last 9 years, Gas-Gas 250 trials, rm 80, rm 250, cr 125, aprilla trials, ds 80, pw 80
oils MC1, CCI, Yamalube, Maxima M
Golden Spectro does not smoke any worse than these other oils. I used GS for 4 years and no fouled plugs or motor problems. Never pulled a motor apart because I sell my bikes after 100 hours of riding to try some other brand.

djr

Apr 22, 2002
mix ratio is about 52:1 I should have said Southern Ohio slow to medium trail riding and like I said I have not had a motor apart so I can not speak to motor dirtiness. But plugs are dirty looking but do not foul. Motor protection must be first rate. I have been considering Mobil M2XT at 40 to 1 just because of availibilty.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
djr,
Golden Spectro does smoke more and spooge more than MX2T, just try it you will see. I would think you would want to run at least 40:1 ratio however, 50:1 is pretty lean with any oil. Just my opinion.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Very interesting - I ran GS since the 70's and can't remember the last time I fouled a plug or ran any spooge. I recently changed over to Motul because it was easier to get. I run 40:1 w/reg. gas.
Sure makes me wonder why so many bikes had build up on various parts. It makes me feel that I ran lean :eek: . But my plugs are always right on. Why is this??

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've ran GS at 52:1. Yes, it does create deposits on the power valve and requires regular servicing of the top-end. Some power valve designs are more affected by carbon deposits than others.

I'm currently running Mobil MX2T at 40:1. My bikes jetting seems a little more finicky at this ratio though. I switched because I was always out of oil at 7:30 on Saturday night before a race when AutoZone was the only place open.

IMO - Synthetic oils have improved lubricity properties allowing for leaner fuel/oil ratios than with conventional petroleum or bean oils. However riding styles/habits and bike maintenance play a crucial role in the type of oil and ratio that each rider chooses.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
There seems to be a lot of MX2T fans here. I'll think I'll give it a try next and stick with it until the jetting is sorted out. Thanks for all the info. :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
All the above mentioned oils are 2-4 times more expensive than MX2T. You won't be disappointed. IMO Mobil has the market cornered and I bet the competition hates them for selling it at a reasonable price.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
... I bet the competition hates them for selling it at a reasonable price.
And at a place more convenient than a motorcycle shop.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Right now I'm using Torco GP-7 at 40:1. Sounds as though the Mobil is good stuff. I'll give it a shot next time I mix up a can. It'd be nice to be able to just buy my pre-mix at a store instead of the shop, especially if its cheaper.

kdxracer577

Oct 25, 2002
i use golden spectro at 32:1 in my kdx 200 and the only problem was my powervalves got stuck and wouldent move. but my bike was running rich so i couldent say that it was the oil or not. but i think ill try some of that m2xt...sounds like good stuff.

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
Holeshot, I'll tell you what, if you still wish to use Golden Spectro, I'll give you what i got left(3/4 gallon), that tells you what I think of that stuff. I used to use it when I first started riding again a couple of years ago, but now that I am more educated, i will not use it any more. I use honda HP2 at 40:1 right now, and it seems to work out pretty good. Well let me know if you want what I got left.
Little Jeff

Top Bottom