yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
My sister is 13 years old, and is around 4'11" or so. We have a PW80 that we got kinda for her and my little bro to share, but she's too big for it now. Me and my dad have been trying to think of something to get her, because she seems interested and actually rides pretty fast for somebody without much experience. I was kinda thinking of maybe an XR 100. What do you think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
XR100, TTR125, then depending on whether she/you/dad thinks she can handle a 2-stroke, KX, RM80's (power-valve models, 98+ for the KX). I take it she'll be riding trails with the two of you? Get her to check out the sizing at a local bike shop to see which she's most comfortable with and take it from there.

The one thing to keep in mind is the fact that she'll have to learn clutching after the PW80, so depending on how stubborn/interested she is, two strokes may not be the way to go (for the moment). I love my two strokes and learnt to ride on them, but it was a struggle and often thought I should be on a four. But I'm extremely stubborn, so have kept with it (never mind the times the bike's been up for sale in my mind).

Let us know what you decide on (or rather what she does). How's your dad after his last accident?
Michelle

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Well I think that she's still too short for a 2 stroke. I had a CR 80 and I honestly don't think that she could handle something like that. She'd learn the cluth/shifting thing real quick, but I just don't know if she can handle that much bike at her size. My dad is also a little apprehensive about spending a bunch of money just in case she isn't as interested as she seems. How much would a used TTR 125 cost? I know that they're probably aren't a lot of them out there since they're so new. Oh and she'll definately be riding trails with us, just as she has been. She can ride some surprisingly hard stuff for someone her size on a bike like that (not to mention limited experience). What's the smallest size KDX? Isn't it a 200? How big are they? I would kinda like her to get one of those because I've always wanted to ride one, and I'd prolly ride it too. Not to mention all the great things that I've heard about them on DRN.

Michelle, my dad is doing great. You wouldn't know that he was landed on 3 months ago by the way he's riding now. Since that guy crushed his pipe and bent his bars, among other things, he got a fatty pipe and some renthals that he says made all the difference. He's so convinced that they helped so much that he's decided to buy me some renthals (already on the way) and help me pay for a fatty pipe :) . So it worked out good for us in the end, which is something that I didn't expect at all.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
I can't give you the exact seat height on the KDX 200 but I'll tell you this, it will be way to tall for her at 4'11". It is in line with the 250's as far as height goes. I'm 5'3" and have to lean to one side just to get a foot down on one side.

I would recommend the TTR-125. They are great bikes for many reasons: 1. low seat height, 2. four stroke realiablilty 3. friendliness for beginner riders. It also has disc brakes which is a plus. New they go for about $2300 I guess. I haven't seen that many around used but I'm sure if you're patient you could find one. It would be my choice! Good luck!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I'd look hard at the TTR125L, yzguy. There's another gal on here (where you been CJ??) who I belive is the same height as your sister and has great fun on her TTR. They also provide the most hop-up potential in the long run.

The KDX, although a great bike, is probably too much of a step up from a PW80. The KDX200/220 runs about 36.4" seat height, and is fairly wide at the seat as well. I'm 5'3" also, and when I got my KDX I had it lowered 1.5" before I even rode it! I still couldn't touch flat footed, but it was an improvement. The weight and power might be quite intimidating as well. Probably best to take a smaller step. XR100 as you mentioned, or preferably the TTR125L. Either one would have good re-sale value if she outgrows it or is no longer interested.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Since they are so new, how much do you think a used TTR would cost? I was hoping somewhere around $2000 or less?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Lori,

CJ just moved south of Denver (and really close to my favorite riding area the little snot!) so she's probably been pretty busy. We actually had snow weekend before last and the trails are just getting clear at the upper elevations so she's prolbably riding!

RZ

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hello hello hello!!! Sorry 'bout ducking out for a short bit, but with the move and job changes and all...

YES, I'm also 4'10" tall and the TTR125L is a WONDERFULLY fun and easy bike to ride! It's light and sooo easy to kick start sideways and upside-down on the side of a hill (j/k, but you get my point). It's REALLY well-balanced and flickable for us small people. It's a GREAT bike for those nasty-fun technical things that trails throw at you. :) FUN! :)

It is a trail bike and not a track bike. You can take it onto the track, but it doesn't have that last minute correction power that a KX100 has. It also doesn't have the suspension for the track either. I do catch PLENTY of air with my TTR at the track, but I really have to plan ahead and prepare to be at the proper speed and landings are kinda hard. That's OK with me, though.

Rodzilla- Email me and let's go do some of the trails up here since the snow is clearing up! I'm soooo ashamed that I haven't even hit 'em yet. (However, I did put 1000 miles on the Ducati this past weekend.... :eek: )

ANGIE

May 29, 2001
I just recently went from an automatic Honda Cub to a 2001 XR100. It's undoubtly the best thing I have done. It was really easy to learn, but I don't know if already knowing have to drive a stick shift had something to do with it. I can tell you that you just about to have to be not paying attention to stall it. Its a great woods bike. I haven't found anywhere that it won't go. Hope the info helps

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Thanks a lot for all the help guys, but I think she has decided to do the softball thing instead. Her team is really good, and she has decided to do the full out tournaments and all that junk. So, basically, my dad isn't going to buy her a bike if she isn't gonna ride it. But if she ever decides to stop softball, and wants to ride, I'll remember all the helpful information you guys have provided me with. I appreciate it.

This actually works out better for me, because I think that we might get a box trailer instead of buying her a bike. Too bad she aint gonna ride with us though.

Top Bottom