Good degreaser for cleaning chain?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
The only way I'm able to get my chain really clean seems to be the parts washer. I'd love to be made aware of a good degreaser that I could spray on then wash away with all the muck. Simple Green at 100% is not cutting it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Ive never tried it on a bike chain, but kerosine works extremely well on the chain saw and does well cleaning parts etc. There may be a problem with O-ring chains, kerosine swelling the rubber.

Just a thought.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think I would worry too much about kerosene swelling most higher end rings.
But kerosene lacks a bit as a good degreaser with some of the cosomolene type gunk mfg's are putting on new chains these days.

I have found Castrol Super Clean to be a great degreaser, however it is fairly powerful stuff and you wouldn't want to soak a ring in it overnight. A good nitrile or viton ring might make out just fine, but maybe not....havn't tested it.
But if you spray it on your chain, scrub it well with a nylon brush, then wash it off well you should be good to go.

And of course use the proper lube when done (wink).

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I've always used Kerosene, but don't run O ring chains. I don't need to do it that often though, usually use 'muc off' type rinse off type cleaners on the bike/chain, then a spray with WD40 to stop rust. If I want to use kerosens I remove the chain, put it in a biscuit tin and pour over kerosene and use a stiff brush, several changes of kerosene until it stops turning black.

01KX250Rider

Mar 29, 2004
Spectro...Metal Parts cleaner! that stuff is straight from God. Cleans anything off metal...super powerful spray (look away when spraying), give it a try, makes old plugs run like new too... :-)

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
A good soak in diesel fuel and a brush with a paint brush works well. It also leaves an oily residue on the chain, helps with the after wash rust inside the chain rollers.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
If you run an O-ring chain just flood it with WD-40 after you wash it. No, it won't hurt you O-rings. That's all I ever do to my chain.

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
bcVulcan said:
If you run an O-ring chain just flood it with WD-40 after you wash it. No, it won't hurt you O-rings. That's all I ever do to my chain.

You ruined your chain! You should never use a penetrating oil (wd-40) on an o-ring chain! Use only chain lube that is safe for o-ring chains. A penetrating oil will wash out all the factory lube that is sealed between the o-rings, dramatically shortening the life of the chain.
The only maintenance an o-ring chain requires is keeping it adjusted to the proper tension, and applying o-ring safe lube (that won't wash out the factory lube) to prevent rust. If you want to clean it, wipe it with a rag. Keep in mind, cleaning an o-ring chain is for aesthetic purposes only.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Bullwinkle you make a good point a I respect your opinioin. However, after witnessing this debate many many times on other forums along with my experience, I've come to the conclusion that WD-40 is not only the easiest way to maintain an O-ring chain but they last as long as chains treated in any other manor. I'm sure some will disagree with me but that's one reason I come here. To listen to other opinions. :thumb:

Top Bottom