good jetting baseline,top end break in Q's also

Mar 1, 2005
the bike would be a 01 cr125.i live in va and temps around here right now are ranging between 30's and 50's. these are the components i was considering ordering:6BEG20-71 needle,40 pilot,380 main.would this be a good baseline to start with?i haven't ridden in awhile but i remember the bike had an off idle bog as in if i would let it drop down to really low rpm's then whack the throttle wide open it would want to bog and die unless i backed off. i couldn't get rid of it without turning the air screw almost all the way in,then everywhere else in the band would be to rich and the bike would blubber badly not to mention spewing oil all over my swingarm and rear fender.my buddy that i bought the bike from told me the head of the motor had been cut to increase compression,just curious but what area's of the power would this most likely effect?any negative effects from it?i run 93 pump gas and it doesn't seem to ping to me although i really dont know for sure what a 2 stroke that is pinging sounds like.the piston doesn't have any marks on it as i have read on here that would have been from detonation,the whole crown i black.i ordered a new piston and ring from service honda and will be installing those monday afternoon.jetting is stock as far as i know.also whats the best way to break in the rebuilt top end?sorry for the long post,any input will be appreciated,thanks :ride:

mischi_punk

Aug 2, 2004
What I was told to do was:
1st-Start it (keep in neutral) and after a little warm up, rev it all the way out then just keep the RPM's up for about 5 minutes. Not all the way wound out, but not at idle. Also, use a richer mixture, then work back to usual as you go through these steps.

2nd-After letting the bike cool all the way down (overnight or 5+ hours) Take it out and ride it. For the 1st 10-20 minutes bring it way up in the RPM's, then go around keeping it in the bottom of the powerband. again, let it cool, but only for 1/2hr -1hr.

3rd- After cooling, Ride it again, as you usually would for maybe 1hr. Put it away and let it cool all the way over night. That is the end!

Again, I'm not trying to say this is the 100% right way, just the way I was told to do it by a fellow racer. If you know this is wrong, or have better advice, post!

Mike

EDIT-- sorry, I don't know anything about jetting, maybe I should read your replies! lol

Top Bottom