The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Hi team,
For you CA ladies, its been cold around here, predicted for Goldendale, WA to be around 30 Saturday night, daytime highs in the low 40's. Would expect the Euro course to be a bit colder as you're up on a hill. Chance of precipitation or snow, partly cloudy -but full moon! Could be gorgeous. Heard some folks were out there checking out their lights last weekend and it rained a bit and then froze up to a solid sheet of ice. Talk of allowing studded tires - have you checked yet Firecracker? I'd wear my winter Goretex gear for sure, and get some chemical handwarmer packets for inside my gloves.
And we're off to southern CA and the Elsinore Grad Prix- fires seem to be under control - big worry for all, checked with the race directors and they've been watering the area just in case.
Good Luck to all and Have Fun!
-Susan
BBR230

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I do.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Good luck ladies! You too Susan, tell us how California goes.

I think Leann was checking on the studded tires, I am off the team due to injury. I'll be thinking of you guys from up here though.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks a lot Susan!!  You and Randy have fun!  Good luck to Jennifer and Pierre and Mick too.  Who else is going to Elsinore?  Is Firelilly going this year?

There was lots of talk about ice up in Washington for the 24 hour, but the race organizer thinks conditions will be very good, although very very cold- brrrrr.  I'm checking on those chemical packets for my gloves and I am making one last trip to Wal Mart for rain gear and an EZ-up.  Our team (The Shred-Bettys) is still trying to figure out what we have and don't have.  Most of the husbands of the team are also racing on their own team so resources got kinda scarce (for pit help and for general camp gear)  We'll work it out. :) Man this is going to be so much fun, I can't wait!

Everyone ride hard, but ride safe and we'll be seeing you at the Bearfoot November 23rd at Stoneyford!!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Natalie,
You should be able to get those handwarmers at any outdoor store. They make a foot one also which is smaller and has adhesive on one side to stick to your sock. I wear them inside my ski boots, top of my foot right behind my toes. Will last at least 5 hours before needing to replace them.
And rain gear will be good for the wind, even if its dry.
Stuck my head outside at 11pm here in Portland..... brrrr!
-Susan
BBR230

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Natalie,
Firelily and Buddy won't be at Elsinore this year, helping at some other race. Mick's got a cold and still not really healed from his collarbone, so far as I know is just us and Jennifer and Pierre.
Jennifer, who I might add, has just gotten a steering dampener installed and says its awesome.
Great.
-Susan
BBR230

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Just got back from WalMart, they had the hand warmer/foot warmers - man those are uber cheap, I bought a few packs of each! I also bought raingear and some thermel longjohns - sex-SAY!!!  ;) Good old WalMart.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Good luck ladies!!! :thumb: Stay safe and warm.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Another good cold weather idea, Natalie, is glove liners. I have two pair--one is a fine-woven nylon mix, and the other one is kind of silvery like it's woven from tinsel. They are my Michael Jackson gloves but damn are they warm. They really make a difference and are thin enough they shouldn't make your gloves too tight. In fact some people also swear by a pair of rubber gloves under your riding ones--the rubber will keep the wind from cutting through but I would think they might make you sweat too.

Also, I forget what they are called but maybe those things that are like a ski mask only they don't cover your face, but go up over your head and around your neck, would those be a good idea? I've raced a 3 hr hare scramble in 10-degree weather and while most of me stayed warm from exertion, the breeze down the front and back of my neck was not good.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by firecracker22
Also, I forget what they are called but maybe those things that are like a ski mask only they don't cover your face, but go up over your head and around your neck, would those be a good idea?

Ha!  I just got a lesson on those last night...they're called "Balaclava's".  I have one that makes me look like i'm holding up a 7-11.  Think I'll bring it.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Hey Natalie!

We're hitting the road this morning to do the Elsinore Grand Prix this weekend. When you're going North on I-5.... and you see a silver Subaru WRX Sport Wagon pulling a 3-rail trailer with a BBR230 and a KTM450.... going South....wave and flash your lights! :confused:

And best of luck at the 24 Hour! And remember, the primary goal is to have fun! :yeehaw:

Cheers! - RandyB/Susan P (The Ant)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Hey Natalie!

How did the race go? - ET

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
We had a BLAST!!!  It took me all week to get over the soreness and get back into a routine, I just changed the oil and cleaned the filter on my bike last night.  What a ride!  70+ miles - very DUSTY!!  Glad you had a great time at the Elsinore GP, one day I hope to participate in that as well!!

Here's the link to my Ride Report on the 24 Hour Race:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87758

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Great job... great race report Natalie!

Way to go!!! :yeehaw:

By the way, Gary Roe (our local motorcycle dealer in Hillsboro, OR) won the Ironman Division. He did 438 miles.... by himself...on a DRZ400. Says he couldn't use his hands for two days they were so swollen!

Best story: Late at night, Gary pulls into the Farmhouse checkpoint (see Natalie's race report) got off and just stood there. When asked what he was doing, Gary replied, "... where'r my pit crew? ... where's my gas?"

He was *politely* told that he was *not* in the pits and he needed to get back on his back and leave. :)

Once again... way to GO NATALIE and TEAM SHRED-BETTYS!!!

-- E-Ticket

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The Iron Men were AWESOME!!!  At the awards ceremony after the race, they were awarded their trophy's first so that they could go lay down and get some rest.  They got a ton of admiration from EVERYONE there!  Everyone was clapping and cheering wildly!

I can understand Gary getting a little loopy in the wee hours......Emily and Mark were making fun of me around 2 in the morning when I asked the question:

"So, if I went 12 miles in 60 minutes, how many miles per hour would that be??"

I had a hard time living that one down and they reminded me of it several times the next day. :ugg:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom