Good places for weekend trips, -riding-camping

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Im looking for a good place to ride and camp that is not too far for a nice weekend trip from charleston SC area. Im getting back into riding and trying to teach my wife and daughter how to ride. I used to go camp and ride alot in TX and that's where the fun is...a full weekend riding, camping, relaxing.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
We regularly go spend the weekend at TNT ( http://tntmotorsportsinc.com ).  They have a full blown MX track, an intermediate track that allows quads, a kids track for 80cc (150cc 4 stroke) and below, a 50cc peewee track, a fairly flat absolute beginner track, and a small, flat oval.  They also have 19? miles of trails, but they can be tough for beginners.  No hookups, but there is a gas staion 10 miles before you get there (exit 48 on I-77) that has a dump station and water spigots to refill.  They even have a guy who teaches beginner classes out there with rental bikes.

Other fairly close options are:

Manchester State Forest (southwest of Sumter) has camping sites and a riding area (can't ride from one to the other, though).

Turkey Creek ( http://turkeycreekmx.com ) has an MX track and a little peewee track.  You can camp out there, but no hookups.

Durhamtown Plantation ( http://www.durhamtown.com/mxdescription.htm ) in Georgia is supposed to be nice, but I haven't been there.  The link I gave has other places around there listed as well.

Aonia Pass, near Washington, GA, has an MX track and might have a peewee area...not sure.

A group of us will probably be at TNT this Sunday.

Stumpy

May 31, 2002
You can go right down the road to Frances Marion National Forest. The Wambaw trailhead has plenty of room for camping... not to mention the 40+ miles of trail.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Wow, thanks!
I've actually been to the Frances Marion, I almost live 'in' the Frances Marion.
That is a great place. There's not much open space there to teach the wife/daughter on though.

Of the ones listed above, which one's have more 'free' area and open places to learn and goof off. I'm not too concerned about an mx track yet. Im getting the wife and daughter an XR100 to learn on and myself a cr250...they have never riddent before and I have been away for awhile.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Most of he 200 acres at TNT is fairly structured...one way trails and controlled access tracks, but there are a couple of open fields (5-6 acres) that usually are completely empty.

Manchester has one big open field, but it is soft sand that is difficult for beginners.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
other than the hunting...
seems like an odd combo. How do they keep that regulated/seperated?
Other than the fear of getting shot, I wouldnt want my daughter to see bloody dead deer around...she's not so much into that sort of thing...soft spot for animals.

Top Bottom