psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
I'm planning on updating from my 94 RM250 to a nice trail bike, perferably 2002 or newer. I rode my friends Gas Gas and loved it, very smooth. So, what are some good options for trail bikes? I've been looking at KTM and Gas Gas 300's. Any other suggestions? I really don't want something with a headlight (just something else for me to break). Thanks.

MadKaw Mike

May 23, 2006
Most good trail bikes come with a headlight :p

Look for a good used Husky, Ktm or even the GasGas is an awesome bike. If it comes with a headlight, take it off and put on a # plate.

1. Husky WR/CR
2. Gasgas 200/250/300
3. Ktm EXC 200/250/300

Which ever you end up with.... Ride and Enjoy :ride:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
KTM 250 or 300MXC or XC-W.

You could get an EXC and just take the light off.

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Thanks. I there really much of a difference between the 250 and 300? The Gas Gas I rode was a 300. It didn't seem more powerful and my RM250 by any means, but it was MUCH smoother and easier to handle in the woods. The 6 spd is awesome too.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I own two Gasser 300s. An '01 XC and a '03 EC. The '01 will be going up for sale in a couple weeks. Also owned a '98 EC250.

The 250 was my all-time favorite bike for trail riding. The '97-'98 Gassers had a counterbalancer in the engine and a Ducati 100 watt lighting coil with a heavy flywheel weight. It revved slower than the '99 and up models, but had zero vibration. Stock it had more power than I could ever use and, once the suspension was properly set up, it was a dream to ride on gnarly trails.

The 300s aren't any faster the power just comes on about 1000 RPMs lower. I got into a bad habit of riding my 300s a gear high, which means stalling them at the worst possible time. What makes the 300 easier to ride is the fact you don't have to carry as much momentum going into the technical stuff if you have good throttle/clutch control. Like having a trials engine in a motocross frame.

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Woodsrider, that makes sense now that you explain it. My buddy slingshots out of tight turns in 2nd on his Gasser that I seem to bog down in on my RM.

So, selling that '01 eh?

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
I just picked up my first bike, KTM 200 exc. And its def. built for the trails. The front wheel is tucked back a little more so its closer to your body.. its an awesome bike. Just a suggestion (comes with headlight! ha) Good luck in your search.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
psustang89 said:
Woodsrider, that makes sense now that you explain it. My buddy slingshots out of tight turns in 2nd on his Gasser that I seem to bog down in on my RM.

So, selling that '01 eh?

That may be more of a riding technique issue. There's a lot of kids riding 125s who can smoke me through the corners. Then I pass 'em back while they're stuck on a rocky hill. :)

Check the for sale forum around the second week of July. There's some pics of it in the photo gallery under my user name.

Top Bottom