the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll be out at Hungry Valley at Gorman on Saturday for a ride. Anyone interested in meeting up ? I was gonna take an easy valley warmup ride to break-in the new gas gas motor and then hit the forest trails afterwards.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Id like to, Im feeling really out of shape. Puttin in the piston on Sat, so no ridie.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I can easily switch to Sunday .. let me know.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
If I finish Sat, (likley) Ill still have the honey doo's for Sunday. We have been away for a lot of weekends.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
well fine then, go ahead and pick her over me, see if I care !

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
There's always the SRA gp at Glen Helen on Sun.......

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well it was fun. I got there around 8:30 and put in about 30 miles - mostly easy miles since it was a break-in. Had to come back to camp to tighten up the chain once but otherwise all seems well with the Gas Gas. No motor problems to speak of. I tooled around the valley until my urge to go up into the forest got the better of me .... took tejon in and then decided to go up arrastra. Right when I got to the gnarly rock steps I stalled and tipped right over, coolant blew everywhere, and I went down, not too hard, but the bike almost went over the side. I decided it might be best to turn around and go back the way I came, which I did.

A fun day - quick one, but the weather was gorgeous and I gotta say there's lots of fun stuff at Gorman.

FYI - I got next Saturday completely open, and I also got both days open the weekend of the Wicked Bird.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Glad it went well.

Next Sat Ill be taking the kids up to Oak Glen to do the apple thing and make some fresh cider, mmmmm.

I got further into my scooter than I planned, the motor is complete but I have other deferred maintenance issues. One major issue is I had dirt getting past the air filter, where it seats, I had 1 race + Kennedy (and all that dry dirt sucking) on that filter. :(

Ill be ready for wicked bird at least.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Gorman GP

The Gorman GP is this weekend (10/5 & 10/6) if you guys want to participate. Yo Scar when are you coming out to race again? Ill be out there Sunday.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Boodac - Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the GP ! Unfortunately the GP thing just never works for me from a cost perspective. I would come by and say "hi", but since there's racing at Gorman I know from experience that it would be wise for me to playride elsewhere. The place is crazy enough without a race going on ! Good luck and keep it on 2 wheels - please give us a report when it's over ...

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Heres the info for anyone interested. http://district37ama.org/offroad/calendar/nov05/05Prospectors.jpg

Eel, too bad we cant get you out to do a GP. There a blast to say the least. Ill admit, they arent as long as your desert scrambles you have been doing this year, but there still loads of fun. Im thinking I might get the desert card for next year and do a few desert races with you guys next year. Im thinking the Jackrabbits in January might be a good start.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Slugblaster said:
That link to the poster is hard to read. Where can the info be read in normal black and white

Put your cursor on the bottom right corner of the poster until the expand button appears. Click and you will see the poster in a readable on-screen size.

Doing this race is tempting, but I did the SRA GP at Glen Helen last weekend. I had a blast, even though I crashed three times (rang my bell the third time). The track had some pretty fast sections for those who can't corner ;) . Link to topic below -

http://www.sragp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Holeshot, Ive been meaning to give the SRA a try sometime but Ive been so dang busy this early fall. So whats your impression of the SRA races? I decided to renew my District card for both GP's and Desert for next year. With me having to go to China for a while, Im not sure what Ill be able to race but Im planning on doing a few. Eel, Thumbs, you guys still doing the scrambles or did you guys scoot back to enduros?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Primarily the enduros for me - with some select dez events thrown in to round out the year. So far this year I've raced all the D-37 enduros, the Invaders Dez Scramble, Vikings H&H, and Checkers H&H.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Boodac said:
So whats your impression of the SRA races?

The SRA race course is quite a bit shorter than what you saw at the Prairie Dog and the race itself is shorter (maybe 45 minutes or even less, but his last course was fun). If I remember correctly, it's $35 + $10 gate fee. It's not far from where I live, so races at GH are ideal for me.

Better than the dust and endless whoops in the desert, IMO.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Eel I knew you were doing scambles but it sounded like you and Thumbs were starting to do more of them this year. Ive been saying it and maybe at the start of next year, Ill try and do an enduro. I havent a clue as to how to do the time keeping so Ill just be mirroring another rider. Might as well see what its all about.

Holeshot, the SRA sounds a whole lot like the District GP series. District is 45 minutes plus one lap. Ive had a good time doing the GP's series and want to try a couple of scrambles next year. The daughter and I did the Ruts Euro around June or July and had a great time. However, I know what you mean about the endless whoops and the arm pump that goes along with those whoops.

Last edited:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I have only done one race this year, an enduro. Next year I plan on doing all the enduros and a few deserts that pay enduro points. I'll try to do a GP or 2. The one thing I don't like about GP's is very little bang for your buck in my opinion but still fun.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Well while it wasnt the best race of the year, it was still a fun race out at Gorman. You guys missed a fun one. The MX section was real tame and they had a fun hill climb after the MX section. For the most part, most of the adults made the climb but the 80's had a pretty good pile up half way up the hill. They ended up closing down the hill after the first lap of the 80s race and I heard the quads detoured that section as well.
The desert section was mostly sandy trail sections with lots of whoops with some hard surfaced fire roads. They had a long stretch through a sand wash that contained cantelope size rocks that would eat you for lunch if you werent carefull.
The use of a starting gate was a first for me. I was so enthralled with having a good start that I popped the clutch and killed the engine about 3 feet off the gate. So you guessed it, I started dead last like always. Trying to pass is an absolute nightmare when your deadlast and you have 80 bikes in front of you. One of these days I need to just relax and just roll off the line. All in all, it was a fun race.

Top Bottom