ETS

Apr 13, 2000
Well I finally had a chance to ride my 03' KX since the snow is melted. Well unfortunately I'm not impressed. It's all stock with PC pipe and silencer. Must be a thumper guy at heart because I couldn't wheelie at will. It will wheelie easy enough but I had to stab the clutch or make sure I was in the right gear and on the pipe. I couldn't just stand on the pegs and roll the throttle on into a controlled wheelie like a thumper. I could still do it but it had that funny feeling that I wasn't in complete control. I really don't enjoy a bike that I have to ride this way. I like to roll the throttle on over the jump or out of the corner and it just isn't as smooth as my old 99' yzf. In fact I like my 90' atk 406 powerband better and that's just sick. I didn't pay that much for the bike so I'm at a crossroads of dumping it and getting a thumper or trying the 310 kit. Any opinions if the 310 would cure my dislikes with the two stroke or would I just be throwing money away?

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Dropping a tooth on the cs really woke up my 03 kx250. Although I will go back to stock gearing once it is top end time and I do the 310 kit...

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
Well, TomMorganracing.com sells a 327cc kit that MXracer Mag tested recently, said it had 54 hp & was a 4-stroke killer. E-mail Tom Morgan, he'll give you the info/answers you're looking for, both the 327cc & 301cc kits he sells and opinions on the 310cc kit.....post the info you get back if it's not too much trouble.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I am bringing this old thread back because I plan to send the cylinder off to Eric this week. I understand this is the *best* time of year to send it off. I also understand on my 03 that I can send top end only, there are no clearancing of cases issues?

What has finally motivated me is I picked up an 05 WR450 a few months ago and fell in love with the power. It is always there, 1500 to 11500 RPM, not sure a 310 can duplicate that, but I hope that with the Mo Better porting I can get close. :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

ps- sorry I have not been around since coordinating 04 Southern Spodefest, I am afraid that I have suffered from Gomeritis and been AWOL for awhile. :(

pps- Gomer is alive and well- rode with him Saturday at Aonia Pass in Washington GA. :)

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Oh, and I want to do the pre paid check thing, in addition to spare piston/rings/gasket. Eric, what will my total be? Could not find price on the website for the spares. Thanks. :)

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Cylinder's off, in box, ready to go. Just need the $ amount. Help please? Should I post this in the main forward motion forum instead? Or just call Eric? Thanks. :)

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I would say your best bet is to post in the "Mods & Performance Forum". That way Eric or Rich will see it sooner.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Just spoke to Eric- the overbore for 310, porting and plating is now $350, but the customer orders piston and ring kit directly from Max Power, 1 608 224 2524. FYI :)

ps- Eric is a good guy, very friendly and professional.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
tried calling Eric today with this question but he is obviously wide open and unable to answer phone- will the fancy $35 71mm head gasket Max power sent work ok with the 73.95mm piston??? Seemed peculiar to me. Looks like the gasket had an imprinted ring at the 73.95 mm mark that you could take out to expand it up to 73.95. Is that the deal, or run it as is, or ask them to send me a true 73.95 one? Thanks

Top Bottom