ETS

Apr 13, 2000
If anyone knows I'm looking for opinions of this motor. Looking for tractability like a EXC or MXC 300. I searched but didn't come up with much. How about reliability, starting, finicky jetting, and other problems that might occur. Will it need flywheel weight. What I'm looking for is a non serious MX playbike that I can take to the track and lug around or rip around depending on mood. Nothing that will wear me out or have a pipey band that isn't forgiving. Looking for a similiar powerband to the stock yz400 that I once had only without the extra lbs. Thanks

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
There is no bad that I can think of. Reasonably priced conversion, starts on one or two kicks every time, more power off the bottom, more power in the mid, more power on top, as reliable as any MX bike I have owned, no more (or very little more)vibration IMO than stock. The only bad thing is it wears out rear tires faster than before. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If there is a down side to the 310 it's the sometimes limited availability of the single source replacement pistons in that size. The upside is no one ever seems to wear them out, so maybe it's a moot point. ;)

The EG-265 big bore has most of the same characteristics as the 310 with a bit snappier response (more two-stroke like) and the pistons are available as a stock item through any Wiseco dealer.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Good report- does the 310 have as much more raw mid/hi horsepower than 265 as the jump in cc's would indicate? Or is it more of a torque, low/mid increase thing? Thanks.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The piston availlability may have some weight though. Irony is such that you might have a hard time to get that piston just when you need one in a hurry. That would make me choose the E-G 265 kit hands down.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
IMO thats not a reason to miss out on a really great off road motor package. When I had Eric do my cylinder I bought an extra piston and rings for it and guess what..... The piston is still in the box on the shelf. I will probably put it in the next time I tear the motor down and then I'll order another :clue:
I have always kept extra piston, rings and gaskets on hand for all my MX bikes. Also brake pads, levers, chains, sprockets, wheel bearings......

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Hey Rich; why cant you guys just spec another piston??? surely a piston is a piston is a piston right???? or even just mod the spec slightly to get around their config????

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
My 2000 KX310 has no more vibration than when it was a 250. I'm very happy with mine. The power is smooth, never doing anything unpredictable. I highly recommend it for track or woods riding. :thumb:

Mark

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bclapham said:
Hey Rich; why cant you guys just spec another piston??? surely a piston is a piston is a piston right???? or even just mod the spec slightly to get around their config????

Eric designed the piston originally so there is nothing stopping us from getting another one made that is exactly the same except for ONE THING. You have to buy a minimum number of pistons and that number is WAY TOO HIGH to justify based on the number that can be sold. As cool as the 310 is, there just aren't enough people that want them.
The 265 kit using a standard Wiseco catalog piston is a great deal and is much more popular.

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
I haven't had any problems getting the pistons from Max-Power. Has anyone had problems with them?

Joereitman: I just noticed you live in Georgia. You're welcome to take my 310 for a spin. I live in Lawrenceville.

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
So it sounds as if the 310 is just available to the current pistons on hand or will more ever be made?

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Mark- we will probably be riding my hunting lease land in Greshamville Saturday and High Falls Sunday afternoon. If you want to hook up at either location let me know. I will pm you my cell #. I certainly appreciate your offer, and you may want to ride my KX to see how you like the suspension mods done by CycleDynamics just south of Covington. If you have any interest in that. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ETS said:
So it sounds as if the 310 is just available to the current pistons on hand or will more ever be made?

You'd have to check with Maxpower. They can certainly have more made but I'm sure it will be based on the demand, which isn't much lately.

Top Bottom