yzjedi

May 20, 2002
Read the rules...... Always owned a two stroke. Looking at getting a four smoke. 45 years young, '02 yz250 rider. Beginner to spode intermediate, can do most tables, no triples, a few doubles and like to ride hard but "within limits".....
Love the right now power of this bike and the handling.
Never have ridden a four stroke dirt machine, but have read all I can and listened to other riders.
Leaning twords a 250 of the F variety.
Considerations, comments, experiences? and thanks in advance.:)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I have a '00 YZ250 and a '03 WR250. The differences are unbelievable.

I do NOT ride mx tracks, so please take that into consideration.

Yes, the YZ right now power is something I missed right away, when in tight situations where you need it. However the luggability or theWR has more than made up for it on hill climbs, tight uphill trails, etc.

I basically had to learn to ride somewhat differently, and much to my surprise, I enjoy the WR more than I ever did any of the two-strokers. I guess that's just because of my riding style.

If anything, I think coming off a 250 two-stroke, I wish I would have gone with the 450F for the extra power and the straightaway speed. The 250F gets left behind in open areas.

Just a few of my experiences. FWIW.

Good luck!

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
I'm 24 and was riding a 2001 yz250, and then started riding my dads yz250f--that thing is awesome. I'm 200lbs and it carried me pretty good. I was only slightly slower with the 250F. I then decided to get the 03 yz450F. I couldn't have made a better decision. I read all of the reviews of how violent the 03 450 was and this and that---but after I rode it, I fell in love with it. It is easier to ride than the yz250 two stroke, has tons of power, and it doesn't tire me out like my 250 did.

Go with a 450F, you can find some good deals right now. I got mine for $3600. You may want a 4oz flywheel weight and go up one tooth on the rear sprocket. The 250F is good, but after a while you may wish you went with a 450.

Hope this helps

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Do you race in the cc class or age group? Many people have gone up to a KTM 300EXC. It's bigger that a 250 but with the same 2 stroke power(except maybe not as harsh). Yeah its a trail bike but it's a very versitile bike form what I heard.

Top Bottom