kdx200rider69

Jan 25, 2001
Hello everyone, I will now be a frequent flyer of this forum. I finally got my new bike. I bought a 99' YZ400f. I got a smoking deal on it and the guy is super nice who I bought it from. I paid 3,000 cash and still owe him 350.00$ in payments after I pay for summer football camp. The bike was rode 8 times and came with alot of spares. It has a FMF power core IV(not the sa). I came off of a KDX so 4 stroke is new for me, but boy am I having fun goin into the garage and practicing starting it(its too hot to ride here). I have been reading alot of the "procedure" the last few months so if you do it right its fairly easy to start but alot different than a 2 stroke where you can just keep kicking it and kicking it.

Well my question is that everytime I ride it, do I turn the gas off and run the fuel out or just turn it off and put her away?

Also when using the hot start, how much does it have to be running to use it?
Well hope this forum helps me as much as the KDX one did and thanks in advance.

p.s. I will have pictures up soon;) .

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
Just turn the gas off,no need to run the gas out. One question though you said it was too hot to ride ? And this is May in AZ. What are you going to wait until September. Man it is never too hot to ride. Go riding and have fun.:cool:

kdx200rider69

Jan 25, 2001
only too hot the times im home to ride.

Sorry i guess i didnt say that the only time i can ride is around 11:00 or after that. I guess around 11:00 its not bad but around 12:00-2:30 is the hottest part of the day? It has been in the 100 - 110's already. I have football practice every morning except the weekends so thats cool cause i can ride on the weekends. And thanks for answering my question.

David Burt

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
If you let it idle for a second before you kill the motor it should fire without the hot start. You need the hot start when (not if) you stall it, especially if you have dropped it. I would say the only frustrating thing about making the transition to this bike from a KDX is how much easier it is to stall. If it never stalled guys wouldn’t complain so much about starting it. Think about it...

If I leave my YZF parked for more than a few weeks I drain the carb before I ride it again, this seems to make it easier to start. Of course the smart thing would be to plan ahead and drain the carb when you park it, but unless you aren’t going to run it for a month or more you probably won’t notice. If the gas I use for my bike gets over four weeks old I put it in my truck and buy fresh gas for the bike.

I didn’t ever run out to the garage to start and listen to my two stroke run, but I still like to do that with my YZF. You should probably check your coolant level before you ride it, they tend to get a little warm, and vent coolant, when left idling for any length of time.

Sounds like you got a good deal, I predict you will not be missing your KDX.

Top Bottom