150rider

Jul 3, 2007
hi everyone i was reading my manual and noticed in the maintmence shed. it said to change the piston every 15 hours/7 races. i dont race. i just ride trails and every 15 hours seems like a lot. (for me almost like every week)

i already have maybe 12 hours on the bike so i was looking to see what i need to do and this suprised me. so do i have to change it that often and if i do is their someway that i can get an after market piston that will make it last longer.

brix31

Jun 24, 2006
No, if you're just trail riding and not beating the piss out of it you should be fine. Although with a little motor like that i would stay right on the valve adjustments.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Check your valves often, change the oil very frequently, and if your not revving it hard alot you should be able to get 6 months to possibly a year out of the piston. I would do it every six months if you ride alot.

dirtdog69

Jul 2, 2007
Well..put it this way. Do you Have to change the oil that often? No. However the cleaner you keep the oil and filter the longer your motor will last. nuff said

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My Kawi dealer recommended annual top end changes on the 2-strokes whether I needed it or not. I pushed my luck since I really don't think that I ride hard and got a year and a half before breaking a piston. The bike was bought used but the previous owner took better care of it than I do. I have learned my lesson, and the damage could have been a lot worse. Bottom line, you don't necessarily need to change it as often as the manual says, but make sure that you don't wait too long. I never lost any compression, my bike alway started within 3 kicks when cold, and I don't feel any more power increase with the new top end, so the tried and true method of doing a top end when it feels like the compression has dropped will not suffice.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Keeping a check on the valves is a fair guide to when the bigger 4t's need a top end. The 150 remains to be seen,if you are riding it like a 2t and popping the rev limiter I would be concerned! Check your valves regularly!

Top Bottom