Got a steal on a bike, just needs a stator

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I am picking up a 1994 YZ125 tomorrow, had the top end redone with about 6 hours. Just needs a stator. Acording to him he took it to a shop, they put a new CDI box, still no spark, so they took a stator off a different YZ and the bike ran. So it just needs a stator. I ran the VIN number and its clean.

So I need help finding a stator for this bike. What years will fit. If its used that ok with me as long as it works. Ebay is fine.

BTW... I am trading my Mosin Nagant rifle for the bike.... paid about $80 for the gun. :nod: :laugh:

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Looks like I can find em, but what I really need to know id what years are interchangable. The bike is a 94'.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
So you mean to tell me, that those little $40 coils will fix the stator to working condition? Its going to be that cheap to fix this. Wow....thats awesome. I am going to tear this bike apart anyways and check every bearing and seal and link and get her running good.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Just picked up the bike today.... since it basicaly cost me only $80, im very happy :) . I have the title and everything. Sorta went through it today. Has a nice Pro Circuit Platnium pipe, and Pro Circuit silencer. The clutch and basket looks good, and it has new fork seals. I will need to use my spare rear tire though. Compression seems very good, and with the pipe off, piston looks new through exhaust ports.

I will need a whole stator, because its not there, so rebuilding the coil packs are out of the question. Aldo from the list Farmer John provided, I didn't see this bike in there, so i still need to know what years will work.

I will also need a flywheel bolt (or is it a nut) lol whichever it is.

Also, I tried wiggling the crank, and if I push and side to side or up and down on the crank with pretty good force, I notice very.....very small movement in the bearings. Hardly any, its hard to tell the play there. Maybe a couple thousands of an inch. Is that ok? Or are those going to need replaced.

And, one more thing :cool: . The cylinder seems to have one of the mounts for the exhaust pipe springs broke off, I have some aluminum, if I make a replacement can I have it TIG welded, or is the cylinders trashed? IDK if you can weld these (external)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Also, I tried wiggling the crank, and if I push and side to side or up and down on the crank with pretty good force, I notice very.....very small movement in the bearings. Hardly any, its hard to tell the play there. Maybe a couple thousands of an inch. Is that ok? Or are those going to need replaced.

You'll need to replace the bearings if there is any play. A few thousands is a lot of play for the main bearings. Slop down there puts stress on the top and bottom end. That new looking piston won't look new very long if the crank is bouncin around in there at 10k rpm.

You should be able to pull the jug and have a good tig welder put a little blob of metal on the outside that can be drilled for the spring.

For $80 looks like my kinda project! Nice score...

J.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
seh6183 said:
Hey brandon are you in california?
No sir, im located in Florida complete opposite side :laugh: . Fedex and UPS ships though...whatcha g :ride: ot? :)

Thanks a lot julien_d, I will check it out more, but im sure the $30 to replace the bearings is a good idea.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Just wondering, how much $$ does it cost to install a sleeve?? Like if I had already bought the sleeve, how much to install it?? Ballpark price.

Just wondering of course :whoa:

I know a new piston and ring would be needed if done. And I also know that plating is the best way to go, but since this bike won't be raced, or driving hard im sure a sleeve would be fine. A friend of mine had his KX250 sleeved and it ran great, wonder if its a different story for a 125.

Also the gas tank (which was originaly white), is yellowing. I tried sanding it, but its stained really good I don't think it will come out. What are my options other then a new tank?? I have heard of people using Ritdye to dye plastics before. Anyone ever try it?? I need to do something with it cause it looks ugly.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I couldn't be happier. I just got the stator I needed (the only one around) for $51. I cant wait on ebay :laugh: .

I am splitting the case tomorrow, I will need gasket maker for the case. people use yamabond, are there any substatutes?? I have black, blue, and red gasket maker at my house for cars by Permatex. Can I use them and which one if I can. A quick search said Permatex Ultra Grey works good, that true?

Also, how much to install a sleeve if I already own a sleeve and the cylinder is plated? Just trying to get an idea.

Sorry for the questions. Im trying to fit everything in one thread so I don't have to make more.

Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Brandon H. said:
I am splitting the case tomorrow, I will need gasket maker for the case. people use yamabond, are there any substatutes?? I have black, blue, and red gasket maker at my house for cars by Permatex. Can I use them and which one if I can. A quick search said Permatex Ultra Grey works good, that true?

Also, how much to install a sleeve if I already own a sleeve and the cylinder is plated? Just trying to get an idea.

pretty much any non drying sealer will work, permatex, treebond etc. i usully use red gasket maker...

around here the price for instal a sleeve is more or less 50 euros. ~70 dollar

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I have another question. My air compressor had a part go bad, leaving me without one, and I was trying to get the clutch basket out without using an impact wrench. I made some homemade tool out of wood, rigged everything up, thought everything was going good the SNAP! I broke the inner clutch hub. Not the whole thing, just where the bolts go to for the pressure plate, I broke 2 off.

So I need a new inner clutch hub. But I need to know what years fit?? How would I find this out??

I

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Got the cases split, the tricks you guys have told me, have worked wonders so far.

The crank bearing is stuck to the crank on the stator side (it came out of the case). Any tricks to remove that (safely), without buying a $60 bearing seperator??

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
julien_d said:
I put the crank in the oven at about 180 - 200 degrees. The bearing seems to expand faster than the crank and it should come loose.

Thanks for replying to my 2 month old thread LOL. I will remember that trick though. Last time I just took it to a friend at a dealership to pull it. But the oven thing would prob be a lot easier

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Uh. Not sure how that happened. Must have linked myself to an old thread. It was early, not awake yet... coffee....

There's 2' of snow here :D

J.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
julien_d said:
Uh. Not sure how that happened. Must have linked myself to an old thread. It was early, not awake yet... coffee....

There's 2' of snow here :D

J.
Hahaha no problem bro :) . Coffee might help, but idk....never seen snow before so idk if coffee will even warm you up, might need to pull out the bourbon :nod: .

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Brandon H. said:
Hahaha no problem bro :) . Coffee might help, but idk....never seen snow before so idk if coffee will even warm you up, might need to pull out the bourbon :nod: .
Snow is the chit! The cold air sucks though...... :think:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Bourbon will help keep you warm, add a big hill and some sleds/boards and you can have one hell of a night. :nod:

The next morning will not be so much fun as the pain and bruising will become evident...... :)

Top Bottom