Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Every year we collect images from folks that take pics at DirtWeek. We usually end-up with a lot of shots of the track and trails, etc. which is cool but here's what we need; several folks to help out with pics in and around the pits, the more the better.

We'd really like to capture the feel of DirtWeek this year. Shots of people interacting, cooking, eating, hangin-out, riding, candid shots, ya know? A couple of years ago MXPart's wife did just that. She just walked around taking shots of people doing what they do at DirtWeek. Hopefully this makes sense?

If you've got a camera and can help, let me know. We'll work on a way to get the images all gathered-up. CompacFlash would be perfect (I'll have a notebook there with a reader to copy them), but I'm sure we can come-up with a way to handle just about anything.

We are working on possibly having the guys at trimpleclamps.com do video and make it available on CD-ROM, the idea of including a bunch of stills on that CD-ROM came up.

I know a couple of you have already volenteered, please post here with what equipment you'll be using. For digital users, I'd like to set the baseline resolution at 800x600 if possible.

Thanks!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You basically just posted what my intentions are for my camera at DW'02. I thought there was enough coverage of the actual riding, so I planned on getting the inside story, the riders, the campsites, the cooking.....well, you already said it.

Olympus D-520zoom digital cam. I plan on buying some more cards so there isn't a need to download so often, it can be done over time.

You say baseline resolution of 800 x 600. My cam has 640 x 480 SQ1 (not too great) then jumps to 1024 x 768SQ2 (ok). What I do is shoot at 1600 x 1208 SHQ, then use Lview to compress them down. I am assuming you want the lower resolution for easier downloading to your notebook? Otherwise I can shoot at the SHQ and compress them when I get back home and post, it's up to you. Another option is to shoot some both ways. I just prefer the quality of the SHQ compressed pictures, as you can see in my gallery, they are pretty tight.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I'll be shooting 1600 x 1200 with a Toshiba camera. It's only good for daytime activities. The POS won't focus in low light. :flame:

** Updated the resolution.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I will have a digital camera there Okie and I will be traveling to and fro Cooperland. I can take excellent close-up stills in high resolution.

I will also have a Dig Camcorder there. It has the still feature on it, but the are low res and I think they suck.

Do you have a Zip on your laptop?

I can also take a laptop home from work anytime I need to, and I can pre-load the downloading software for any camera. I can basically get anything you might need here from work (Ext. Zip drive, laptop, extra Sony dig. cam)

Oct 10, 2000
I can buy one of those fancy $7.99 camera's at the gas station, will that help? I've never been able to find where those camera's plug into my computor but I'll look extra hard this time :>)

B

biglou

I'll bring it. I hardly use the thing. I HAVE to get some better capturing and editing software. Or, should I say, I have to get better at capturing and editing with my software?!

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by Okie
Lou... can you bring your helmet cam? My cable got fried, not sure if they will have a new one to me in time.

Okie, have someone swing by LTM in the back far corner of the track, I think that's where some spare parts to your "old" helmet cam came flying off :p

B

biglou

We may be able to work something out in trade involving a "test ride" on Dr. D's bike... :p

Just kidding! I don't wanna scare the Doctor away in case he reads this stuff!

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
I plan on shooting 1024X768 with my cannon 110. I also will have a digital8 camcorder and I was planning on doing a couple of videos like I did for the DRN Badlands ride. I guess since mx547 isnt gonna be riding I wont get much footage of him this time.....

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'll take some shots too. Can you use shots that are on floppies, or do i need to buy a MemoryStik?

I'll make sure the battery's charged this year. :o

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okie -- As mentioned in a previous thread, I will bring my EOS D30. I have a 20 mm and 35/200 mm zoom, so I can get both panorama as well as closeup shots. I will also have a big flash, so I will get some campfire, food, after sundown stuff.

I promise I will not unleash the flash on anybody riding a bike. :p When I bought it they told me it would melt paint.

My system uses compact flash card so I will collect them on my laptop and burn them to some CDs for you to pick among. I haven't got the slightest idea what the resolution is, but each shot is 20x30 and averages 1.4 meg ...

If anyone needs to dump photos they can do it onto my laptop if they want to as long as they have the software and USB cable for their camera.

Tony

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'll have a digital cam & a lap top with me. I like .TIFF, we don't need no stinkin' compression! :yeehaw:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hey Tony...
That's a medium format camera then? If Lori and Dave don't make it this year, we'll need someone with a good camera to take the Group shot for this year's poster. Pretty sure the guy from MXStates is going to be there taking shots of everyone riding, etc. (then if you like your pic you can order prints from him, poster size too I believe) so hopefully we'll be able to get the group shot one way or another. Seems to me the last image Dave shot was 20+ Megs!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okie - It is a digital SLR 35mm. Actually the image size is slightly smaller (i.e. a 5x7 is really a 4.6666x7 image) but it takes awsome high-resolution photos. I have been real happy with both camera and lens.

It does have a RAW format that does no compression. I don't know much about the format as I haven't used it as yet. The output is in the range of 5 meg per shot if I remember correctly. I'll bone up on the format and capabilities of the camera between now and then.

I am usually good for 100 to 200 shots per day when I have my camera in hand, so I hope to get a bunch of good shots of cooking, eating, bench racing, etc. for everyone to sift through. I'll burn everything to CD and get it to you before before I leave on Sunday.

I'll be glad to take the group shot.

Tony

P.S. I am soooooooo ready!! :thumb:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Sony mavica, box of floppies, and a wife to wonder around with it. Okie, I guess what I will do is just give you the discs, and you can grab what pics you want, and pass them back to me.........
Tony, you bringing that Penton with ya?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll be bringing my camera as well as my notebook

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
as well as my notebook
All the things you do and your a scetch artist to boot, I'm in ahhh! :eek: :worship:

Top Bottom