woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I had one of the most fun rides of my life this weekend!! Here is how it all played out.
Last week a friend of mine who is a member of the Muskegon Motorcycle club invited me to go on a hare and hound. I have a very strong history of MX/HS and really have no interest in getting involved in racing again (it was fun when I was younger but got WAY to expensive and time consuming). I have told Larry (my friend) a ZILLION times of that so now he only invites me to "fun" outings (I hope he reads this!)> :))) I had never never ridin a H/H before so I asked him how it worked - for those of you who have never done one either let me take a second and explain. The "hare", lead rider, leaves out 1/2 hour before the "hounds", craziest pack of Michigan woods riders you have ever seen, are released to track him down. When the rabbit comes to an intersection he puts down a marker if he turns - he then puts down another maker within a couple hundred yards of the interesection to "leave his scent". As in rabbit hunting (it is remarkable how simular to rabbit hunting this all really is hahahaha - I also used to be a rabbit hunter so maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much) the the first hound to find the rabbit wins - its that easy!!!!!! LOL
The GREAT people who put this on chose the Tomahawk system up in Woverine for the event. Another friend and I went up Saturday to ride the MCCCT north and then to ride the H/H on Sunday! EVERYTHING that I have heard about this area (Wolverine MI) is absoulutly true!! I am here to relay a message to anyone who has never ridden this system - IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY DONT MISS IT!! THIS TRAIL SYSTEM IS THE ULTIMATE FOR VARIETY OF EVERY THING YOU CAN IMAGINE!!!!!
Saturday my bud and I set out on the MCCCT heading North. We were camped at Weber Lake and left around the west side and headed North. We soon found orselves on the coolest section of roller coaster ups and downs I have ever experienced on a bike (better then Cedar Point!!). Catching air off the tops on my 250 KDX was GREAT!! And it was one after the other!! After experiencing this roller coaster ride we rode up to Indian River on some of the tightest up/down hills you have ever seen (any one ever ridden the tight section of Horseshoe Lake?? - NOT EVEN CLOSE - if you like woods ridin you gotta go!! NO whoops, almost like it hadnt been ridin in months!! Oh yea, I forgot to mention this, it rained the day before and there was NO dust - IT HAS BEEN MONTHS SINCE I HAVE SEEN THIS PHENOMINOM!!!!! We came into this REAL tight section of briar like brush that was literally rubbing on both sides of the bars!! The trail was about the width of a rear tire and was ver winding!! Who ever laid out this section of the MCCCT is my kinda person!!! IT was so COOL!!! Who ever you are my hat goes off to you!! We went up some REALLY rocky BIG hills that liked to roll 8" boulders down the trail at you just for fun! It is pretty tricky climbing verticle in sand and rock mixed but try it when the boulders are moving - man that was great!! Another simular one that happened was a log that seamed to be held in the air by rubber straps! My buddy cleared and it was swinging back and forth across the trail about a foot high when I wheelied over it!! I had been coaching Rich about "trail technique" and he had gotten pretty good at lofting before hitting a log - this one really presented a challenge because it was swinging a good four feet back and forth!!!
We crossed I-75 and started to head back down on the MCCCT and I stopped Rich in the Middle of the gravel road with the most brilliant idea a dirt rider could ever have! It suddenly dawned on me that we were VERY close to the Mighty Mac!! I said, Hey buddy heres our chance to do something really special.....
Within 1/2 hour we were sitting in Mackinaw City looking at the Bridge!! Man those street legal kits are the GREATEST! LOL!! We pulled into a gas station to get gas and warm up (brr it was cold - that chest protector didnt help much but the MX boots really kept the feet warm:). A car pulled in behind us and the guys riding in it started admiring our bikes. They asked where we were from and we gave them the full story. I told the guy that was driving that we were planning on crossing the bridge but it was just to cold!! He asked if we would like to borrow a couple of jackets!! He said that they frequented a little bar in Wolverine (Vicki J's?) and that we could just drop them off there when we got back from our ride!! I could not believe it!! He asked for no money, said that if we got them dirty it was no problem and both Jackets were designer jackets (member only!!). We took him up on his offer and proceeded to cross the bridge on our dirt bikes!! Man what a ride!! I have driven everything from cars to Streetbikes (at least 3 times a year going west on my Venture Royal - I hate Chicago traffic!!) and even have walked across it but this was the greatest!! Maybe it was the third gear wheelie between the spans or maybe it was the look on Riches face when I did it but what ever it was it was the GREATEST (kids dont try this at home)!!!!
The lady at the toll booth asked me whether or not we were suppose to be on the bridge with those "things" (she was looking right at my KDX when she said it - I dont think she liked the "ring-ding sound" - I even run a legal sparky!!). We wnet into St. Ignas and found a taillight bulb for my KDX at the local truck stop (if you read this Mr. Attendant - THANKS A MILLION FOR LOANING ME THE SCREWDRIVER - my was packed tight! Headed back across the Bridge and back towards camp!! We pulled in at about 10:30 and all the MMC H/H riders wondered why we missed the potluck dinner! You could have heard a pin drop there by the camp fire as I wa telling them about crossing the bridge!! Then there jaws really dropped as I announce I had to head back into town to return those 2 jackets!! THANK YOU!! Man what a day and we hadnt even had a chance to go hunting yet!!!
Well thats all for now - its 2am - I will finish this soon though!
If you get a chance to go ride that system DO IT - you will never forget/regret it!!!
Woodsy

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
Woodsy,
I have been riding Indian River trails for over 10 years. I am from Ohio and always looking for other compairable trail in Mich. Saw in the CCC Maps this Holton and Horseshoe trail you refered to. Please Tell How those trails compare to Indian River Trails!!!
Thanks

01' ktm 250exc

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi PB: Well, sad to say but the Holton loop is closed down and the Horsesohe lake loop is in the process of being rerouted. I will try to give you a little comparison of the 3 anyway...
Neither of the 2 have anything in comparison to the Indian River area! The H/H loops are more flat land/wooded area with very little in the way of hills. Very nice tight woods riding with a good variety of floral type (pine/oak). The smaller loop on the Horseshoe has a real tight pine section that is a ton of fun. The Horseshoe is the sandier of the 2 H/H loops but a different kind of sand then the Indian River area (NO rocks to wheelie off from!!). It is pretty whooped out from lots of use! I really enjoyed the Holton as in alot of sections I would ride it every couple days and my tracks were the only ones on it!!
I would suggest that if you would like to come ride we should go to the White Cloud section of the MCCCT trail! Very nice bermed trail with LOTS of variety also (consider that an invite). Look at the ccc map and you will find a trailhead for it on M-20 between Hesperia and White Cloud (closer to White CLoud). It is very clearly marked on the road way!! The Horshoe has a trailhead but is kinda hard to find and the Holton never had one of its own.
Be in touch and lets ride!
By the way, I have group trying to get together for a return to the Tomahawk! Whats your pace??
Woodsy

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
Woodsy,
We were planning to go to H/H loops this weekend leaving tonight until Sunday but if one of the loops is closed maybe we will go elsewere. We were going to go to Wolverine but unsure about the weather. H/H is about 4.5 hr. drive for us in Ohio. So let me know if we should make the drive.
We like to ride about 100-125 miles on a good weekend. Rode a national enduro at Wolverine couple of years ago. Finished mid pack in 250C class but love to ride. I would love to talk to you more about H/H trails. IF you can give a ring today. My phone is 419-293-2127(Brian)
Maybe we can hook up somewhere and ride!!!
Look forward to hearing from you.
Brian

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Brian: Woodsy here. just wanted to touch base with you about riding. I smoked my KDX250 last ride and am in the process of putting it back together right now. I hope to have it running by Monday ( got another ride planned for then), if it happens on Sunday I will shoot over to the Horse Shoe and see if I can find you guys (thats only 20 minutes from my house)!! It is Saturday eve right now and we have been getting lots of rain - kinda hope you guys didnt make it this weekend cause you got wet if you did!! Stay in touch and we will get some ride time in!
I have been riding with a group of guys on Mondays alot. We have been trying to meet at my house at 7am and then heading North! Last ride was a GREAT time with 99 miles covered and we were home at 5pm (gotta be back cause one of our party has commitments every Monday - sheeze some people gotta work on their prioritys).
If possible we would love to have you and whoever join for a ride - we have 4 consistenly right now! I live in Ravenna Mi just North of Coopersville (20 minutes north of I-96). If that is not good for you and yours let me know and I will work out a weekend ride with you guys!! Sounds like we might be compatable riders - I rode "A" class back in the 60/70's and still manage to keep up too! Could be fun!
Scott
By the way, will put this back on DRN too so your sure to get it!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Woodsy,

I have a strange, eerie feeling that I saw you right near the Mackinaw bridge that same weekend of 9/21/02.

I was heading up to the U.P. (Marquette), and pulled into a gas station right off I-75, just before the bridge. It was Saturday, 9/21, and it was around dusk; had to be around 6pm or so. While I was fueling up, I noticed a couple of bikes, one was a KDX, parked outside. A couple of guys came out, got on their bikes, and tore off like hell down the road. Brraaaapphhh, brraaaappphhh, braaaapppphh :aj: and they were gone!

Anyway, the bikes appeared to be at least semi-street legal - had plates was all I could tell. I was heading up with my bike, and seeing the 2 guys fly out of there got me even more pumped than I was about the trip. I figured that things were a little more laid back with dirt bikes buzzing around like that as you got up into U.P. country.

I was gassing up a Chevy Venture with a 6x12 white enclosed trailer attached.

So, was that you??? :think:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I just bet it was Smit Dog - there aint to many KDX's that cross that bridge during the year (I know that cause the lady at the toll booth told me so LOL).
Do you recall what the other bike was - my bud was riding an XR400. Both of us had our gear on (boots, chest protectors ect.). Course you may have seen us AFTER those guys loaned us their jackets so we could cross the Mac(it was REALLY getting cold).
Small world aint it!
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I don't recall what the other bike was. The KDX just stuck in my mind because I have one. And I certainly don't remember seeing any yahoo riders wearing Member's Only jackets - that had to be a first!

You were probably only a few minutes ahead of me on the bridge. I remember it was a spectacular sunset. Here's the pic I took just as I entered the U.P.

Attachments

• macbridge.jpg
    macbridge.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 238

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
THANKS I NEEDED THAT!!!

Curt_704

Nov 7, 2001
Woodsy,

Is the Holton Loop closed permanetly or is it still going to be re-routed? I live on the north side in Indy and the Holton Loop has been my favorite loop to ride within a five hour drive from home. A few of us usually make an early spring and late fall trip to the area and last spring we were disapointed when we arrived at the Holton Loop and saw the closed signs.
Also, what are they changing on the Horeshoe Loop - Hopefully the whoops!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Curt: Yes, as far as I know the Holton loop is a goner. There are some sections of it that have been sold off and are being developed - to bad too cause it was AWESOME! I have a real close riding bud that lives right on it - man is he beside himself!
Horseshoe is still open but like you said, being rerouted. At this time, the section on the "other side of the road" is closed. We locals call this section the "kids trail" cause it is shorter and tighter (slower paced for some people). If you turned into the trail head/parking area of Horseshoe and stopped just after you turned onto the two-track, then looked behind you the trail I am talking about is directly across the road. You will also see one of those "trail closed" signs that we all like to see :( :( :(
I am assuming that by the whoops comment you are talking about that GLORIOUS section leading away from the P lot? Man, that is our "workout area" - dont go talking them into removing those babies! You gotta go about 8 miles up the MCCCT out of WHite Cloud in order to find more challenging whoops! You know if you hit those whoops in 4th you can double em :)
All this stuff is right out my back door - give me an shout sometime and I will ride with you guys!
Woodsy
By the way, dont plan anything soon. We just got another 6" - WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING???

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Woodsy,

Funny, I never knew there was a parking lot on the Holton Loop!! I always pulled off a two tracker on Holton Duck Lake Road north of Twin Lakes and parked the bikes next to the trail crossing. Where's the parking lot?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Mark:
I dont know if we are even refering to the same loop. In my reference to the Holton loop being closed I am speaking about the loop south of Skeels Rd. Horseshoe (the one I was talking about pulling into the P lot and looking at the closed trail behind you) is NOT the Holton Loop (IMHO).
In all reality the Holton Loop (closed area) did have a parking area that nobody but the locals knew about. It is at the end of Raymond Road just North of Twin Lake. You had to follow a 2 track off the end of Raymond to find it and it didnt amount to much (no bill board posting like Cedar or Horseshoe - just a lowly trail map posted on a board and a gate!).
The Muskegon MC ran a race out there a few years ago and man was that a mess. You have to park between trees and such. GREAT trail that we lost though!
SPRING IS COMING!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I just spoke with the folks at Peacock LTD (# 231-745-4606), for everyones information the Snowy Chicken is being held on the 15th of March. Signup is at 9:30 am and the cost is $10. They doent know for sure if the dinner is going to be back at Twin Creek again or if they may do it on site.
Last years ride was AWESOME with very "at speed" rideable trails but I am not sure about this one. If we dont get a thaw the single trail will probably be almost unrideable.
Fred T and the rest, I will keep you all posted of the conditions!
If it (the weather) stays like it is and you are one of the folks that like the "highway" (2 way traffic) quad trail, I have never seen this flatter - but remember that this trail is also open for snowmobiles, BE CAREFUL!!
At signup they will be passing out maps again and the ride will be directional (this really makes for a fun ride for the single trail) but if the snows on the ground there will be LOTS of others on those trails NOT participating in the Chicken.
Woodsy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Scott.
Looks like I'll be coming alone if the event is ridable. I'm not interested in the snowmobile trails - I like single track so if their not passable with out "two legging" it the whole way then let me know and I'll skip out.

We're supposed to get some rain this saturday so that might knock down the snow a little and firm it up when it refreezes.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Fred: Believe me, you're not alone. If things don't change I wont be there either - I would rather dodge trees then moving machinery!
I will keep everyone posted (you know Michigan - could be 65 next week!).
SPRING IS COMING!!
Scott
Hey I got my new CCC card in the mail today!

Top Bottom