pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Well, the title says it all. My buddy told me about an older CR125 he had, thought it was a '91. Went and looked at it, it's an '84. Oh, well, still not a bad bike. Needs some work, mainly motor, but it won't be too bad. Everything seems to be there and in working order. Gonna need some little stuff, chain, grips, air filter, paint, etc. The main issue is the motor. The original motor threw the rod and cracked the crankcase. Well my buddy got a "new" (different motor), looks to be the same, and said that "new" motor needs a spacer between the top and bottom ends because the old piston was hitting the cylinder head. Still waiting on the old cylinder head to compare them, but the bottom ends seem to be the same. Most likely a piston to work with the different motor will work nicely. The old one has been sittin and while and got pretty rusty, but I tore that apart just to see what was in it, and its not too bad. Some parts salvagable, especially the clutch, the fingers aren't wore or nothing on the basket. Gotta finish stripping the paint off the plastic, beacuse the dark red paint is chipping horribly off of the "fighting red" orangish color under it. I actaully kinda like the color. The tires are about 60% the forks are immaculant, and not leaking, the frame needs to be sanded down and repainted, but is in no way in need of repair, so overall it seems I might just end up with something half decent. Does anybody know of a place where I can look up the engine serial numbers to see what I have? Also if you know where I can get any parts, besides the evilbay. May be going to a salvage yard or two this weekend to see what I can find in terms of maybe a whole motor, just to be sure everythings going to match up. Anybody had one of these bikes and have any comments, info, or anyhting else that may be useful? I'm waiting to find a manual too. BTW if anybody knows a way to run the numbers, the VIN is JH2JE017E0501213 (which I already looked up), the "original" motor serial number is JE01E 250892, and the "new" motor number is JE01E 270310. Figure I'll head up to Bob's Honda in Sayre this weekend if'n I can't figure it out by then. Oh yeah, I still can't reach the ground on it!!! Lol, I'll have to mess with the suspension when I get it running good. Lol, once this baby runs, the DR goes to the bf! :p I'll get some pictures when I get some batteries in the camera. It's up on the transmission jack for now, works nice!!!

Nov 25, 2006
That's great to hear. If I remeber correctly you have wanted one for a long time. I wouldn't worry about the cosmetics of the bike, just get that thing out on the dirt!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Heck yeah, I've wanted another one since my 80, which was FOUR years ago. As far as the cosmetics, I gotta have something to while I wait on some parts!! Plus, I like being anywheres near it!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE IT!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom