Got me some titanium screws in my collarbone

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I agree wit Honda 100% - Stupid does hurt.  At the end of a decent day of riding at Watkins (CO), my buddy and decided to wrap things up with a few drag races along the straight away at the NW section of the park.  We normally do this through-out the day.  Well, this time , I grabbed 5th and stayed in it too long as I quickly approached a log that laying down separating the long strectch from a parking area.  Came in too hot...crash.  Up over and around, with bike following.  Managed to break my right collarbone and bruise just about everything on my right side.  It had nothing to do w/ the bike, the other racers, just completely stupid me.  That's what sucks the most.  I deserved it.  What an idiot.

What pisses me the most is that most non-riders will just say how dangerous it is and I know that from riding since I was 12, I've never broken a bone, never had an injury until now and there was no reason fot it except a temporary lapse of reasoning.

BTW, breaking a collarbone sucks.  I just hate feeling the bones move around.  Much better now that have the screws in.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Well at least you're alive to tell the tale. And you'll know exactly where to look when someone tells you you have a screw loose! :thumb:

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Sorry about your injury dude, hope you heal up quick!

A certain mod on this forum has had to close all the open areas in his public riding area for nearly the same reason, people drag racing or just plain going too damn fast. We all do it at one time or another don't we? :whiner:

Anyway, hope it heals better and stronger than it was before!

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Sorry to hear about the injury man (Stupid does hurt) be sure to keep the Titanium bits and find a cool place on your bike for them aftrer they come out. :)

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks everybody. I'll probably sell my bike as good will to the wife and start saving for a brand new CRF450X, when Honda finally gets around to it.

I wouldn't think much about it, but my ol' man use to race boats and he broke his neck racing it once (hangman's vertabrae). He swore up and down while on the flatboard that he would never do it again. He bought a fishing boat the next season and that was it. The following season, he bought another racing boat (that the previous owner flipped). Needless to say, they divorced shortly after.
My situaion ain't nearly as bad, but I'll give it a rest for a bit for the sake of argument. I just love it to much to stay away for long.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Too bad HMS that sucks!! I had a big get off at Wadkins I got 16 ti screws and three ti plates in my left ankle. Bones heal no big deal. Get well soon and have your wife do everything while your hurt.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
sorry to hear about your injury.

i did one kinda like that once but i got lucky. one practice day, we were doing some fifth gear power wheelies in the empty pit area at the track. i rode one a little too far and when i dropped the front end, the barb wire fence at the end of the pits was approaching very rapidly. after locking the brakes and skidding for about fifty feet, i realized that i didn't have room to stop. for once in my life, i thought quickly. i leaned the bike over and opened up the throttle. it miraculously hooked up and made a nice arc just short of the fence. i felt like a pro. it looked like i did it on purpose. actually, i did but it was more of a last-chance panic move than a planned one--little did anyone know that my heart was in my throat and pounding like a hammer. i didn't ride any more wheelies that day.

stupid does hurt...
but sometimes it's really fun. ;)

Last edited:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Ahh, Testosterone just bites sometimes.. :(

Oh well, I got plates and screws now so I'm better, faster & stronger than before

Attachments

• dscf0001.jpg
    dscf0001.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:scream:

Caught it in your zipper? Sure, I've done that before, but never required staples... :eek:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, save those screws, they are yours and they are paid for, lots of doctors will try to keep them and do their deck or someting like that. You gotta ask for them :) . Drag racing is not that bad of an idea, drag racing and not haveing a long enough shut down area........ well,,, hurts :) .

roostu

Mar 18, 2003
HEY ! I am fused at C5 and 6 (cervical spine) and starting back into dirt riding at age 36. Dude you gotta have fun in life if you have to slow ....slow down and when your ready go fast again....................wfo :thumb:

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Hey HMS! I hear Pro Curcuit is coming out with hollow, anodized aluminum screws for lighter weight=more acceleration outta the corners. :p

Top Bottom