Got my wife to ride the KDX!

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
While I wait on a response for my other post I just wanted to share my excitement about getting my wife to ride the bike this weekend. Not only was it her first time to ever attempt to ride a motorcycle, she didn't even stall it, not even once!! I would really like to get her a bike of her own, I was thinking a CRF230. They seem the right size, both height and power wise for her. Kinda thinking something tame like that to build her confidence (she hit a couple of bumps and blipped the throttle on the kdx and kind of scared her). Any thoughts on a good starter bike for an adult with no riding experience?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Most excellent. Yes, consider the 230 or the crf150, depending upon her height.
You desire a confidence-building machine for her.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Hey JTSO16 - I'm thinking maybe you should be asking what bike you should be getting for yourself, now that your wife is riding your bike!?!! My wife rides too. Street and dirt. Domino

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Nice !!! I wish my wife was that brave :laugh:
Now you can make excuses to buy more bikes :nod:

Four-stroke is definitely the way to go for an adult beginner - IMHO that is...

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have an xt225 that was my last attemp for my wife
started her on a vlx600 then a xl175
the xt225 has electric start and its very light and torqy.
I will be selling it $900 its got a supertrap and jetted.

you really have to be honest with yourself and talk to her about it (is she really interested in riding) my wife can ride but she does not want to come out of second gear and has no interest in riding aggressively or even good for that mater and refuses to take control of the bike.

there are very few women out there that actually have the desire to really ride you guys that have one of "those women"
are very fortunate :cool:

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, I'm not sure how aggresive she would be on a bike. My guess is not very. I'm just getting over a knee injury myself, so I'll probably be taking it pretty easy regardless if she's riding with me or not. The KLX 250 isn't a bad idea. Do any of y'all know much about them as far as power goes?

MaverickAus

Mar 14, 2009
The american version is pretty tame, easy to get a couple more ponies with some cheap/free mods. Have a look at kawasakiforums.com in the KLX250 section for lots more info. They make a good commuter / trail bike. Quite heavy but they handle it well.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
sorry guys but i have to dissagree.... my wife had never ridden before and being so small i picked up a 94 YZ80 with a blown top end,for 200 bucks! with the intention of repowering it with a XR100, but it was too good to wreck so i rebuilt th YZ engine,
she loves it!!! and now, "wont ride a sh**ty 4 stroke"

2 stroke is the way to go, teaches them respect for the bike straight away!
kdx.jpg

HAHA nice one love!!!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
To answer the question about the KLX-250, I had a KLR-250, which was the spiritual ancestor of that KLX.

It would make a nice street bike for your wife, but it is WAY to heavy for the dirt... the weight would be way more intimidating then the power ever would be.

Power wise, it's probably a true 17 to 25 RWHP on a good day. Geared down, that's enough for the dirt until you get to long muddy second gear hillclimbs with the rear wheel packed with sticky clay. Geared up, it'll so 75 MPH on the road.

So if you want a street and gravel road type bike for her, it would be a good choice. But for riding in the dirt, I'd be thinking lighter and not street legal.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I went a ttr125l for my wife. It's a bit small for her but all she cares to do is cruise through the woods and take in the scenery. It works perfectly for her. If she drops it she can pick it right back up. She can start it easily. The flywheel accounts for 1/3 of the weight of the bike, basically unstallable in 1st. If you accidently whack the throttle wide open it doesn't take off without you. She's ridden it for 2 years and is now ready to move up. I feel WAAAAAY better about putting her on a kx100 or something now that she knows how to ride.

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Awesome suggestions guys. We'll be taking the KDX and 4wheelers out this weekend to San Antonio to visit her parents, so hopefully I can get her to get back on it again. If the kdx was just a tad shorter, it really wouldn't be that bad of a fit, but chances are I'm not going to find another one of those around here. I might have to just shop around and see what's around here.

Top Bottom