Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thump has me considering building a SM (streetable) with a CRF, so I've got a ton to learn! Also need some inspiration, so please post pics of yours (anyone's and any make for that matter)! I'd love to see what everyone is doing.

cr500_supermoto_01.jpg

Maybe I should just go ahead and start with a Service Honda CR500 AFX. Get MX-Tech to lower it, Eric/Rich to massage the ports ...

In fact ... maybe start with the DRN project bike that was built for the Dirt Rider Magazine "Forum Bike Shoot-Out"? Where is that bad boy?

rightside_original.jpg

A little daydreaming there, sorry.

I'll get it started with one I came across a couple days ago.

bikepics-312546-full.jpg

Also, what's the optimal rear rim width of the CRF 250 (r) ?

(You can post a link to a pic using the little picture icon above, or upload one using the camera icon if you have images in the gallery here, OR, click "upload file" in the new/reply thread dialog (when you create a new post or reply to one, you'll see all of these options.)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
DTX_SM_450_DRN.jpg
Most of you guys have seen this before but here's my CRF450 based Supermoto. It has DTX (dirt track specific lowered & revalved ) suspension front and rear from MX-Tech, some minor engine tweaks, an Electrex lighting coil, Motomaster 320mm disc and 4 piston caliper, and Marchesini forged 17" wheels with Supermoto specific tires. I also ride it with a 19" wheels and dirt track tires on the street, which I think is actually even more fun than the 17s. There is just enough street legal stuff to not get arrested in Chicago.

I'll try and dig up the pics of the YZF440 version I built before this one.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've been following the Midwest Motard group on FB. Several people in my area so I've been considering this myself. Found wheel/tire/sprocket combo's for $1100 but would still have to do the street legal stuff. Problem is I don't have much time to ride anyway. Gonna have to sell some toys, insurance costs more than the fuel I put in them.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here are some in the early stages of building my YZF440 Motard. I built it up with 17" SuperMoto wheels and tires as well as 19" dirt track tires and wheels. These pics are with the Arrow pipe, but somewhere in my archives I have pics with the low pipe meg I built for it. I'll try and dig those up.

YZF_SM_2_8x6.jpg YZF_SM_1_8x6.jpg YZF_Motard_DT.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was doing a little work on my CRF450 SM (pictured a few posts above) over the weekend.

I'm working on the following changes:
- adapting an LED tail-light assembly from a 2013 KTM Duke
- Back to red plastics (the Black never looked quite right to me)
- floating rear brake caliper. The stock caliper mount is in the way when trying to remove the 17x5.00 rear wheel with a 160 tire.
- Building a stainless steel meg low pipe (Dirt track style)
- adding paddock stand spools to the rear swingarm
- adding a Hinson slipper clutch (once you ride a big single with a slipper clutch you never want to go back)
- Over the winter I'm building a BIG engine for this (500cc)
- Brembo radial front master cylinder
- Building aluminum catch cans
- Adding a lithium battery for the head/tail light system

More to come!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom