Got the plate on-first legal street ride..

May 9, 2007
Well, I took the KDX today with a plate actually affixed to the rear. It was not the first time but it is the first time with a plate. It was kind of cool not having to look over my shoulder for cops or awnry neighbors. I rode down the street to check out a new development-which is dirt right now. Neighbors say many expensive homes will be going up. Oh well, I can at least say " I rode that before overpriced homes were up...".

Surprisingly the bike runs better at 45mph (guessing, no speedo) than at 30 mph. Knobbies sound funny at high speeds. Have to say though...nothing like riding a 2smoke on the street... :)

May 9, 2007
Well, I rode down to the bank today and realized how boring street riding is in a non-urban environment with no cars to dodge. However....riding a dirt bike is quite fun especially with knobbies and no ignition! Had to keep an eye on it very closely as just anyone could ride off with it. I have the ignition but not installed.

Surprisingly no cops followed me around. Then again I am just one more fat guy on a bike. Still....those open spaces are looking pretty enticing....

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
be careful with them knobby tires when riding it on the streets, they can come out from under you pretty quick if you dont pay attention.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
sick 96 250 said:
be careful with them knobby tires when riding it on the streets, they can come out from under you pretty quick if you dont pay attention.

^^^^^ thats how i had my first major wreck. Sounds cool tho, i always wanted to get my KDX legal when i still had it.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
My son just got his plates too. 07 Honda XR650R with the Dakar kits and all the HRC mods. Silly fast for a dirtbike on the street. :coocoo:

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
And, they'll only last a few miles.
Hmm, I've put about 500 miles in the last few months on a rear Desert IT and a MT44 front and they are still in excellent shape, the rear especially. This is on street and with my KDX btw. No problems here, I decided to save some money and ride my KDX around town instead of a car. Been working fine and tons of fun. :ride: :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
When I run real knobbies on the road, it seems the tread loss is quantifiable. I'll loose about 1/8th of an inch of knob in 20-30 miles if I'm not hard on the throttle or brakes.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Honestly that was similar with some of the other tires I've used, the first set of IRCs that came with the bike were decent wear both on and off road, the Cheng Shins were total crap both on/off and the Maxxis's have been extremely good to me. I don't ride aggressively at all though on the street, if I was trying to pop a wheelie and do stoppies all the time those knobs would be gone in seconds.

Top Bottom