Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Woman Sued for Rescue Effort in Car Crash
Legal Experts Say California Ruling Could Make Good Samaritans Hesitate
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
Dec. 19, 2008

No good deed goes unpunished, or so goes the saying.
A paralyzed woman is suing a former co-worker for moving her from a car accident

Such was the case with Lisa Torti, who is being sued for pulling a now-paralyzed friend from the wreckage of a Los Angeles car accident in 2004.

The victim's lawyers claim the Good Samaritan bumbled the rescue and caused injury by yanking her friend "like a rag doll" to safety.

But Torti -- now a 30-year-old interior designer from Las Vegas -- said she thought she had seen smoke and feared the car would explode. She claims she was only trying to help her friend, Alexandra Van Horn, and her own life has been adversely affected by the incident.

"I know [Van Horn] has a lot of financial issues and her life has changed," she said. "But it's not my fault. I can't be angry at her, only the path she has chosen to take. I can only pray it helps her."

"I don't have any more fight left," Torti told ABCNews.com, choking back tears. "It's really emotional."

The California Supreme Court ruled this week that Van Horn may sue Torti for allegedly causing her friend's paralysis. The case -- the first of its kind -- challenges the state's liability shield law that protects people who give emergency assistance.

Only Medical Workers Immune

The court ruled 4-3 that only those administering medical care have legal immunity, but not those like Torti, who merely take rescue action. The justices said that the perceived danger to Van Horn in the wrecked car was not "medical."

The court majority said the 1980 Emergency Medical Service Act, which Torti's lawyers cited for protection, was intended only to encourage people to learn first aid and use it in emergencies, not to give Good Samaritans blanket immunity when they act negligently.

Van Horn's lawsuit will go on to trial court to determine if Torti is to blame for Van Horn's paralysis.

But some legal experts say the ruling may discourage people from trying to save lives.

"What they are saying is that if you pull someone out of a pool, if you provide CPR, you do have a defense," said Torti's lawyer, Jody Steinberg.

"It seems to defy logic," he said. "At a certain point anyone who instructs or educates [in emergencies] will advise that you must hesitate. Those split-second decisions will be gone and someone could die."

Emergency Trainers Worry

The Boy Scouts of America, which offers emergency training to youth, filed a "friend of the court" brief in the case.

But Van Horn's lawyers said their argument is "nonsense."

At the time of the accident, Torti and Van Horn, both make-up artists, were acquaintances at work. They had been drinking with a group of friends and left a bar in suburban Chatsworth after a Halloween party, according to court papers.

The car in which Van Horn and another passenger were riding spun out of control and hit a telephone pole. Torti said she was a passenger in another car that was following them. Before emergency crews arrived, she allegedly offered to help Van Horn from the wreckage.

"There could be so many things that could happen and I obviously wanted to get her out of the car," said Torti. "She said she couldn't move. I did the best thing I could to move her from the situation and get her out of danger to a place that was a little safer."

Torti said she put one arm under the victim's legs and one behind her back, carrying her out of the car. But Van Horn testified that her friend grabbed her by the arm and pulled her from the car "like a rag doll," allegedly causing injury to a vertebrae and a lacerated liver.

Jury to Decide What Caused Paralysis

Court documents showed that the question of whether she was paralyzed during the crash or when she was pulled out of the car is in dispute.

"She said she couldn't move out of the car," said Torti. "They exaggerated it. I would never drag someone out of anything or pull someone out like a rag doll."

But Van Horn's lawyer, Robert Hutchinson, told ABCNews.com that witnesses said there was never any danger of an explosion, and both the driver and a backseat passenger were still in the car when Torti took Van Horn from the vehicle.

"[Van Horn] got her seat belt off and was stunned," said Hutchinson. "She couldn't open the door and without being asked Ms. Torti grabbed and pulled her out of the car. It was her belief that the car was about to explode."

Hutchinson argues that despite her belief that there had been an explosion, Torti pulled the victim at an angle and dumped her on a hard median next to the car, allegedly injuring Van Horn's spine.

Victim 'Ruined for Life'

"We all know that anyone suspected of a spinal injury should not be moved," he said. "She was not bleeding and was conscious. If the car had been on fire, why didn't she carry her 50 yards away?"

Van Horn was taken to the hospital where she underwent surgery. Now 26, she has returned to her home in Minneapolis and is confined to a wheelchair. "She is ruined for life," said Hutchinson.

But Torti said her life, too, has also been changed forever, "jolting" her relationship with her parents, whose homeowner's insurance will end up paying if she loses the case.

Peter Keane, a dean emeritus and professor of law at Golden Gate Law School, said the impact of the court ruling will "be a bad one" and have repercussions in about a dozen other states that have Good Samaritan laws.

Good Samaritans Will Now 'Hesitate'

He said the ruling will force ordinary people to be "reflective" before coming to the aid of a person in an emergency.

"It's much too literal an interpretation of the immunity law for Good Samaritans," he told ABCNews.com. "Now it puts the onus on the lay person in an emergency situation to try to figure out the nuances of what medical care means, something that could subject them to liability later on."

Meanwhile, Torti said she feels betrayed by a former colleague and is now shy about helping others.

"I am really shocked it turned out the way it did," said Torti.

"How do you explain what you feel when someone you help is going after your money?" she said. "I am really sad because I have always known how to help people and now I always second guess myself. You want to make sure you do the right thing, but you're scared. The world turns us into robots that don't care."

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
:| ...Disgusting
Paralyzed at what point?... Curious quote by lawyer "Like a rag doll."

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I suppose the Justice's want us to use our Iphone's to post video on YouTube in real time rather than help someone who is injured. Sad state of affairs on the left coast.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
What is so wrong with the decision at least in my interpretation-
The law only applies if medical care is given. So if a car is on fire and the persons legs are trapped but otherwise the person is uninjured you can not offer aid until the fire starts burning the person. It has then become a medical and not a safety issue
Only in California could this become an issue

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
What an ungrateful and rude woman! I wonder if the car HAD caught fire and she had suffered burns from it...and the woman watched her burn....if she would be suing for gross negligence?! just crazy.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
while some of the blame lays on the injured woman, I'd lay most on the insurance company. They don't want to have to pay her way so they will go after all they can get as well.

and blame California

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
"Gotta love Cali!"

"Sad state of affairs on the left coast."

"Only in California could this become an issue."

"and blame California."

Funny how these posts come up when most of the rest of the country is standing around up to their butts in ice crystals. ;) :nener: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You guys are right. California sucks. Don't come here. :moon:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you can keep it, 89'er :)

as long as it doesn't fall off into the Pacific after the next earthquake, burn up when the Santa Anas are blowing in, or slide away during the next batch of mudslides. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRpredator said:
you can keep it, 89'er :)

as long as it doesn't fall off into the Pacific after the next earthquake, burn up when the Santa Anas are blowing in, or slide away during the next batch of mudslides. ;)

We'll take our chances. ;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
oldguy said:
BTW how much was your state tax refund this year :nener:

Didn't really count on or need it :laugh: :nener:

First weekend in months have not been able to ride due to weather :nener:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Unfortunatly we're getting more than our desired allotment of relocated Shakeylanders down here. It seems they like that the weather is generally at least as nice, the earth doesn't randomly shift around, there isn't a state tax and real estate is waaaay less expensive. Of course then they have to try and force the various "way it was back in Cali..." on everyone. All I have to say is STAY THERE! We like it here just fine the way it is :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
never count on the refund but it sure is nice when that bike is calling from the shop to come get me.
I admit it would be nice to have a couple more months of bike riding in the year but will never give up the winter- nothing like sitting on a frozen lake fishing. Then again you shakers and movers wouldn't understand that.
Maybe when I am REALLY old like OL89er I will be more interested in the natural morning vibrater beds of California

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
. . . they have to try and force the various "way it was back in Cali..." on everyone. All I have to say is STAY THERE! We like it here just fine the way it is :laugh:
yeah, we got those showing up here. Some Texans too.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
oldguy said:
never count on the refund but it sure is nice when that bike is calling from the shop to come get me.
I admit it would be nice to have a couple more months of bike riding in the year but will never give up the winter- nothing like sitting on a frozen lake fishing. Then again you shakers and movers wouldn't understand that.
Maybe when I am REALLY old like OL89er I will be more interested in the natural morning vibrater beds of California

HAHA Ol89er and a vibrater in bed? Do tell! :whoa:

Frozen lakes are not meant to be stepped on! I talk to people all over the country, they ask whats the weather like in Cali? I say something like "It's pretty cold, about 60" :fft:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
rickyd said:
HAHA Ol89er and a vibrater in bed? Do tell! :whoa:

F
Kind of figured he uses the earthquakes as a free massage in the morning so he can get out of bed ;)

60 degree weather you girly boys are probably wearing goose down jackets outside- that is summer swimmning weather for us :nod: And dam the shrinkage :ohmy:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
60 degrees and outside? :whoa:

We have had a few inches of rain the past few days, I have about 5 private tracks within a hour of me, they are all closed. I would be bummed but my bike is getting a new top end. Good news is next Saturday ( Frisco Supercross ) is supposed to be clear and sunny, we haven't had that in a few years :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
yeah right... a dry SF SX I'll believe that when I see it :blah:

We have quite a few private tracks in our area but I have been banned from them because I hate people. Besides they are closed... 15 inches of snow on the ground tends to do that :nener: and my sons bikes are sitting in the garage with no suspensions and mine well I haven't bought it yet so :bang:
Have fun when you get out riding- I'll find a video somewhere to remember what it is :ride:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
oldguy said:
yeah right... a dry SF SX I'll believe that when I see it :blah:

I'm going to wear shorts next week there, rain or shine :yikes:

They owe us a dry SX :yell:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oldguy said:
never count on the refund .

HEY NOW! :whoa: Don't be baggin' on my vibrating bed. There are advantages to living on an earthquake fault. ;)

Already got my refund back oldguy. And for this coming year, we are just not going to send them as much. Here in Kalifornia, business owners have to send in a estimated tax. We have to estimate what our earnings will be for the coming year and send equal payments to the State Bored of Unequalization. Since they may give us our tax back in the form of an IOU, we are simply going to deduct that amount from our estimated tax. Pretty simple stuff. :nod: Even for an old fart like me to figure out. Perfectly legal too.

I would love to stay and argue with you guys about the advantages or disadvantages of living in California but, I have to figure out what to do today. While the rest of you are firing up your snowblowers and digging your cars out, I have been invited to go to the hot rod show in Pomona and also to go trail riding with my neighbors or to go watch my other neighbors kids race their first mx race at Elsinore.

Oh California. So much to do, so little time. :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
Oh California. So much to do, so little time. :nener:

If it wasn't 4 degrees outside and my truck would start I would drive to Cali and bludgeon you with my snow shovel.

... hmmm , but then I wouldn't have a working shovel to dig the truck out when the next snow comes on Tuesday. OHHH, JUST FORGET IT :yell: :yell:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
East coast is too cold and/or to many grumpy (and usualy old) people that smoke tobacco.

West coast too cold and/or to many nutty (and usually plasticized) people that smoke weed.

3rd coast is just right.

Top Bottom