Doug2087

Oct 29, 2010
2004 kdx 220
I bought the bike with the governor out of the bike. I'm now in the process of cleaning and fixing the whole kips system. When I install the governor does it have to go in any certain way? I don't see any marked splines to line up.
Also, can someone explain how the governor activates the kips shaft that goes up to the top end? I now understand how the power valve itself works but I'm trying to understand how it is activated in the bottom end. Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If they're anything like the governor on the KX, it's a centrifical governor.. it has bearings that fling to the outside as it speeds up causing the gear to grip.. If I recall correctly. It's been a while since I've had one apart.

Dec 15, 2010
yes the governor is centrifugal & works the arm which in turn moves the valves ..on the 220 you can alter the rpm range the valve opens by removing 1 or both of the small copper washers from the sub valve mechanism which is located on the l/h side of the motor near to the exhaust port..you can also remove the small ball bearing & spring if you wish from inside the nut housing..personally i perfer leaving the washers etc as they are as the powervalve opens too quick for my technical woods riding...i think moose racing made an alternative lighter governor spring for the kdx some time ago.

Top Bottom