mattg6o

Dec 29, 2004
I want to get a GPS for my bike that I can mount on the handlebars. I get lost easily :| Anyone have one, or a suggestion? Obviously weather, and shock proof. Thanks.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
I've had good experiences with Garmin. I have an old GPS e-map and it works great.

I've dropped the danged thing several times, sunk it in a mudhole, and left it out in a rain storm. Still works!

Whatever you get, protect the display from scratches! Buy some palm pilot protectors.

yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
I just got a garmin gpsmap 76 cs, total price came to about $390 plus shipping, with the $50 rebate applied, which is good until jan. 15. This is an exceptional unit, at a great price, with ability to get an optional handle bar mount. Go to garmin,s web site to look over all models. Best price on units at gpsdiscount.com----I really do not think there is a better unit for our kind of use than this one. Tons of memory, great color viewing screen, and It even floats!

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
Hey guys I am considering getting a GPS but can't afford $400+. Any suggestions on a cheaper version. Maybe one I can carry in my camelbak?

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Gps

Morning All.
I currently use a Garmin Legend. Small & compact it has 8Megs of Memory & you can upload maps from Mapsource Topo Software. It's been highly abused & still works great. The only flaw in it's performance to date is I needed to put a small piece of foam behind the batteries to maintain tension otherwise in nasty terrain at speed the unit would shutdown. :bang: I paid like $140 after rebates. Otherwise I'm very happy with the Garmin. :aj:

yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
the legend is good, the only drawback is that the antenna is a patch type, which is not as sensitive, could be harder to get a signal in heavy woods. Another one to try is the magellan, which does have a more sensitive antenna, cost about $220 at discount for the color screen model, but is not as easy to use as the legend. You could check out their lineup, find one that you like, and see what they sell for on e--y, or try gpsdiscount.com which has very good prices. Another option is to try the garmin gpsmap 76, which is the non-color version, good antenna, offers many good features and is a lot less costly. Would not hurt to call garmin customer service for recommendations. 800-800-1020. Good luck!

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
Get a Garmin Foretrex 101. It is made with a velcro strap that allows you to mount it to your wrist, mountain (or road) bike, and it fits nicely on the handlebars.

It is small, light, waterproof, batteries last a long time, has great features, and best of all, costs just a little over $100!

Used mine while mountain biking on Wednesday, on the KDX in the mountains yesterday, and will use on roadbike today.

Here is link...http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex101/

Good luck! :cool:

ruger

Nov 21, 2004
I use the Garmin vista for everything, it's really nice to have the topo map in the background. They've got color screen versions out now also.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
yorinda said:
the legend is good, the only drawback is that the antenna is a patch type, which is not as sensitive, could be harder to get a signal in heavy woods.

This was a concern for me too, so I went with a Magellan Sportrax Pro.

The Magellan been an excellent unit!! Tough as nails, heck I've even pressure washed it on the bike! Loads of memory, although not upgradable like the Meridian models, but I don't figure on ever needing more than I already have. Pricing is decent on these units too, and they also work excellent as a handheld.

I do think the Garmin software is better though and the etrex models are physically smaller in size.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Anyone still interested in this topic, consider the display size. I don't know if you plan to ride trails with rocks, logs, etc, or open county road, but make sure the display map is large enough to glance at while you're riding. If the e-map wasn't such a good old outdated unit, I'd get a Garmin GPS map 76. Color or no color. It's about 1.5" W by 3" H from memory... Good size for me.

tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
I have a Magellan Map 76. (about 5 years old) Can you download maps onto those? If so, how about uploading routes? It'd be neat to use data from someone else to navigate the trails in Michigan. (especially the Upper Peninsula) I used it for boating, but never thought to strap it to my handlebars until reading this post.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I use the Etrx Legend: it is a tough unit ! Just had an almighty get-off; bike landed upside down on the bars (broken headlight, throttle housing etc, not to mention my broken wrist and thumb), but the legend lives!

re the rubbing batteries: yes they will switch off, but what I do is tape the batteries lengthways with electical tape before I put the back cover on and it seems to do the trick (except when you lose it at 80 Kmh !)

re the patch antenna: I researched that before I bought, by asking Garmin tech support about the differences. Bottom line is that the patch antenna is just as sensitive as the helical coil in the GPS72/76, but the patch is designed to work best held flat while the helical coil works best with the unit held in a vertical or upright position. I have used the GPS 76 at work and it does lose track quickly if you lie it down flat. I haven't had too many problems losing track with the Legend except in really thick overhead cover ie rainforest. Mind you the GPS 76 used to lose track in the same conditions as well. You can get various configurations of external antennas and boosters, but they generally need their own power source and would be impractical on a dirt bike.

got photos of my GPS mount if anyone is interested...

Cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom