palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Check out this image. I recorded the track of a recent ride through Naples FL by strapping a GPS unit to my handlebar. I downloaded the track to my PC and overlayed it on an image of the riding area that I downloaded from the microsoft terraserver website. It matched amazingly well.
This really gave me a new perspective on the ride and of the riding area. By studying the image I've identified some areas that I want to try next time.
If you're interested, I'll give details of the equipment/software. Let me know.

Happy Holidays,

Matt

Attachments

• naples-ride-small.jpg
    naples-ride-small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 199

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
That's what I do too - I've got GB's of maps from Terra Server on my PC. I look at trails on the map and then go find them next time I go out.

I use a Garmin 76S, some paper maps with marked waypoints and both Garmin software and USA photomap.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Sounds like you have it figured out!
You reminded me of a little story:
A buddy of mine located some trails nearby using terraserver images and we headed off to find them. We found them, and took off on 'em with high hopes. The buddy that found them (KTM EXC 200) led the way and we followed. I was right behind him and noticed his rear tire sinking pretty deep in muck and the rut that it made filling with water. Uh Oh. I went to the left of his rut and my front wheel disappeared in mud. About 5 seconds later, we hear the KTM revving to the moon and then quit. My buddy starts yelling that he's stuck. When we got to the bike it was buried to the seat in the gnarliest, stickiest, smelliest mud I've ever seen. Took us 2 hrs of digging, yanking and cursing to get that pumpkin free!

I attached an image of the KTM on day one, and after the sticking.

Attachments

• ktm-new-mud.jpg
    ktm-new-mud.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 170

Svock

~SPONSOR~
Nov 28, 2001
Hey nice stuff there! I was just wondering what program you used to overlay your track onto the map, and also, are those roads criss crossing the images like a grid? Why?

Thanks,

Svock

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
This is the USA Photo Map software site Click Here .

It will interface to most GPSs.

Be aware once your start down this road you can end up with a lot of MB of maps on your PC - have fun.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Kiwi Bird,

Just how big a file is the Photo Map? Is there any chance you can select only a section of the country, or a single state?

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have been using National Geographics TOPO! cd's. The software is pretty good. The maps are usgs topo maps scanned in and software to support it. Ill see if I can attach a image.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Nope, file too big to post. But they store on the HD very small as it only stores the data.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
I used a software program called gartrip: www.gartrip.de

It lets you import a jpeg image as a map and calibrate it to known waypoints. I found an overhead view of the riding area on the microsoft terraserver website: terraserver.microsoft.com
I captured the image from the monitor ( if you right click and 'save image as' you only get a piece at a time) and cropped it using a photo program.
I imported and calibrated the map and voila! my track fit perfectly!

Svock, the area that we ride is called "the blocks" for obvious reasons. It was subdivided years ago and was never built, part of the '50s land scam or something. Anyway, its loaded with trails and not crowded, oh, and the dirt roads help you find your way home!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
McRider - the program allows you to download photos AND topos of as much, or little as you want.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
all i have to say is WOW! this is a very good source. I have been looking for something like this for years and now it is finally here. The Usphotomaps program is very nice and i am really looking into the feature where you can mark it on the map then load it into the gps. This is good for hunting as well to get to the secret location and then load it on the computer to see just where you went. and this is some pretty good detail too. thanks for the links, they have been very helpful

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Hey fellow KDXers,
Let's be sure and slip JDM Cox a little dough...if you can afford it of course. His software is killer and we need to encourage him to make it even better. What he's doing, creating really useful software and offering it for free, is really, really a cool thing. Being a hack programmer myself, I can appreciate the effort. I'm having alot of fun with his progams. If you haven't tried it, you should.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Hey Palmer, how many miles around would you say that loop is that you made. And is it legal to ride there and park and unload.

Thanks

Top Bottom