Grafting Real Forks on to the TTR-125L

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Well kail if i do get a 4stroke i want one that i can get used and go jump it like crazy but i dont think there are any 4 strokes other than yzf which cost wayyy to much r capble of doing that without any suspension mods. maybe i should go for 2 stroke

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
taken out SA. Getting a main jet of 115 in a week from dennis kirk. Cut out top cover of air box to give more air thats all. what else should i do Kali. Thx

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
A 110 main will probably work better, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. :)

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Hey Kali. I was reading on the net that mike alessi ttr 125l has yz 80 forks. he just bolted them on and raced just the forks. no works shock or anything. and won a cople races i think.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
It's possible to install a longer shaft in the stock shock to raise the rear end and increase travel. I don't think Alessi ran the YZ forks wothout some mods to the rear.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
oh ok thx vic well ima forget bout them forks and go with bbr springs. what can i do to the stock springs like add 10cc oil. which oil to use? how much oil is 10cc? i will get the springs, triple clamp, cradle, exhaust. and that prob be it.do i have to get the bbr swing arm in order to get the rear shock from bbr?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I see new from Yamaha the YZ 80 forks are about $550 per side. Triple clamp assy about $300. Master cylinder and line $300, misc. bolts $100. That's $2000 right there. So 'technically' from an "I've gotta sell the idea to the wife perspective". It would likely be cheaper to find a YZ 80, gut it and hauk the parts. Or even freaking buy a new one and gut it...

That's the price you pay to own a particular thing that you feel is better.:)

Bob

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
It seems to me that you're getting to the point where it would just make more sense to put the ttr motor in a kx100 or cr80expert chassis.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Now I learned the front needs to be re sprung because the bike is too heavy for the springs. It should have .40 springs, but the stiifest race tech makes is .33. Now I am looking into having custom springs made.

Got a URL for Race Tech?

Thanks,
Bob

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Kali,

Now that I think about it, Who said that you need to re-spring the YZ front? You don't weigh like 350 pounds do you?:scream: :p

I just like the idea of adding 4-5 inches of travel with the YZ front. I found a used 95 YZ80 last night for $1500 locally, with good plastic and fresh rebuild. I figure I could hauk the engine for $800 and have a good start on a cheap conversion. Don't know, I'm still debating just doing the BBR springs and having the forks re-valved. My gripe with that is that it does NOT add travel, just stiffens the bike. And then if you do the BBR swingarm thing, doesn't that add travel to the rear, not just wheelbase? so the bike would have like 3" more real travel than front. That can't be good for handling can it? Don't know, I've hopped up everything on earth, but until the TTR have never messed with bike suspension, allthough I feel qualified to tackle the project. :)

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Yea, but I can't leave well enough alone. I'm the original Tim the Tool man Taylor. I even hold 7 National Championship titles racing lawn mowers... (no kidding)
http://www.lawnrace.com

I'm just looking for the best comromise of a $9,000 BBR bike and a $2500 stock bike. So the YZ80 thing looks pretty good.

I had done quite a few laps around our track on the TTR (trashing Juniors bike), but now that I've been riding the YZ125, it feels pretty cramped and isn't as fun as it was. I think BBR is right on target with their triple clamp set-up too.

Bob

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
You can raise the rear of the bike and add travel by installing a shock shaft from a YZ . Any competent suspension shop should be able to do it. I'm pretty sure the bill would be less than $800. :)

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Dave miller xrboyz sells a modified frame for 4500. includes everything u need. all u need is the ttr 125 engine, carb, electricals. But bbrs looks way better.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Kali- I'm not talking about a YZ shock. I'm talking about a YZ shock shaft installed in the stock shock body. There is really nothing wrong with the stock shock that can't be pretty easily fixed, other than the small oil volume. Even that is not that big a deal, unless you're doing thiry minute motos. :)

Top Bottom