Grafting Real Forks on to the TTR-125L

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
After looking at Kali's pictures from Glen Helen, I noticed that there was a pic of a TTR with what looked like real forks on it (not the toothpics it ships with). Does anyone know if it is possible to simply bolt on a front end from something like a YZ80, or do you have to go whole hog and get a different frame like the BBR perimeter unit ($$$)? Any help would be appreciated......my suspension is practically bottoming out going over ant hills :D Thanks.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
If your forks are standard try the BBR springs. They are great.

It appears that the YZ80 forks are able to be fitted up as Mike Allessi's TTR that he raced recently was fitted with YZ forks. Pics were somewhere. Cant remember where now.....ummmmmm.

Fork swaps usually are expensive and complex as you need the forks, clamps, bearings, spacers maybe, master cylinder, brake lines and you can land up with weird geometry.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
That is exactly the info I was looking for........thanks Kali. I look forward to reading about your impressions and checking out all the pictures.

How much do you think the full meal deal is gonna cost you (labour not included)?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You oughta know, Vic . . .

Money's no object when it comes to fun!

Do you have a rear disc on that little piglet yet, Kali?

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
I smell melting plastic:)

The TTR will stay with the conventionals as I'm hoping a YZ mini 4 stroke is in the pipeline.

Honda Rippin'

Feb 19, 2001
I have heard (somewhere) that a YZ 125 F is in the works. It will be on an upgraded YZ 80 frame and have all the goodies. I should have waited, but 125 four-stroke just ain't what I wanted. ;)
80 cc's of two-stroke, that's a different story. Good luck with the bike, Kali! I can't wait to see how it comes out!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
$500 a month, hmmmmmmm, i would some months like to keep spending down to that! Racing 4 bikes adds up really quickly. We race MX and a bit of cross country and with accommodation, fuel and parts............ If Yamaha announced a mini 4 stroke YZ I would leave the office now and have a deposit in my friendly dealers hand in 20 min. Then it will be pipe, frame guards, brake line, bars etc. always something to do and something to spend money on for sure. I think it keeps me out of trouble ..... :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Kali - Yes, the YZ forks are that much longer. You could probably have a custom line made up, or possibly use some different fittings to adapt the YZ line to the TT-R master cylinder.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Kalitude,
If you contact Kosman racing in windsor they will custom make anything you want and it will fit perfect.
I used to work there and it was one of my jobs.
They also have a website but it is mostly dragracing stuff.
If you bring your bike in they will do it whilst you wait.
They also usually have some cool projects going on too.
Bill

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Kali- SFO's plan sounds like a good one. :)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Kalitude,
You might want to use the sleeve/stiffener from your oem line.
The earls/goodrich stuff is roadbike style.
It might mean destroying your oem line and hopefully it is not glued together.
Also have them do a cr style routing.
If you have any questions maybe I can answer them.
Bill

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The stainless steel braided line comes in bulk coils.
The manufacturer being either goodrich or earls.
The plastic stiffener is on oem and aftermarket hoses, it prevents the hose from bowing into the wheel on a longer travel ie dirt bike.
The cr style routing does away with the loop of hose that goes from the caliper to under the fork and up the front.
Cr style routing wraps around the fork gaurd and shoots strait up.
Better feel because there is no unbleadable loop under the fork. The air can escape at the master cylinder.
My favorite memories of our horses revolve around twisted ankles, I would wrap and soak every day for 6 months without riding.
Man, that is going to far, all the work and no riding.
Bikes are way more satisfying for me.
Kosman is not cheap, but their stuff is top notch.
Say, Dale might have some bulk brake line stuff around...
I think I might know someone else too, but ask him first.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Originally posted by kalitude

Streetsquid, so you are now selling the little bugger?

Kali......well, after reading your response and the cost involved with putting upgraded forks on my ride, I figured it would just be cheaper to buy a bigger bike.

I bought the little TT-R as a training bike for my roadracing, but I couldn't resist jumping the bike and being more aggressive, so I quickly found the limits of the suspension.

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
Kali, have you researched the differences between Engines Only's Kit and the Powroll Kit with Cam? price aside what have you found as far as pros and cons for them both?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Kali- You might be able to find a ninety degree fitting that will allow you to use the YZ line. One side of the fitting would thread into the TT-R master cylinder and the other side would accept the banjo bolt.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
custom bike = custom problems :)

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Kali,

What else are you going to spend all that money on you save by not having a horse? Besides, the weight savings will make you so much faster! Oh, the gold ones will match your BBR swingarm and look so sano. :)

oabike

May 15, 2001
Kali - Do you have the old BBR springs on your stock fork and shock? Any chance you would want to sell them cheap? I just saw your website and thought it was great. I machined my flywheel down as per your photos and it is much funnier to ride. Should I be worried about the bike revving to the moon now? Thanks for your help.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Kali i like them Pics. Now i want to do this project. Where did you get your front forks from. Is 700 for a 94 yz80 front end a good deal. I know problems that can occur but when they do thats when i will take it to my local bike shop and let them finish.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Do u know any place i can get the forks from Kali? bbr told me i can run the yz80 forks with their rear shock. hmm I c now where it gets expensive. but i love this bike so i m gonna do this.

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
Well Kali you are so right. I say that because i m pretty much too big for the bike now. You sound like my big brother, "why would u spend so much cash on a bike when u can buy a good used one". Well maybe i should just do little stuff to the bike like you say get the forks revalved. But once i do have some $$$ to get a used bike, what should i be looking at? I do a little bit of trails and lots of practice on a mx track. But my moms always saying if i get a 2 stroke she thinks i will blow it up because u have to mix oil and gas. So what 4 strokes are pretty good for me to look at 5'9 130 i m 15 years old. no my moms not wealthy. she budget well. she really has tooooo many bills thats y i m looking for a used bike. My dad a loser he a drunk with so ugly woman he married. But if i can get moms to say ok get a 2 stroke i will look at 125s and 250s. i prefer 250 cause i dont wanna be able to grow out the bike or start saying mom my bike has no power. so Kail what do you think?

Top Bottom