canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
As I watched the 125 GP race in Portugal last night on Speedvision, I started wondering how many HP those little rippers throw out.

I got to talking to my neighbor about it, thinking he'd be knowledgeable about bikes (since he rides an R6), and HE seems to think the 125's put out 200 HP, and the 250's about 400 HP. Now, I'm no 2-stroke expert, but as far as I'm concerned this guy's out to LUNCH! Then again, he thinks his R6 will hit 300 km/hr..(bahahaha! what is HE thinkin?!?!)

I'm thinking the 125's put our around 60, and the 250's about 90. (The 500 GP's, about 120??) The reason I'm assuming they go like stink is because they're light. Can someone who knows for sure let me know? I'm trying to get a feel for how the whole FIM circuit is set up, and if anyone has ANY useful info about road racing, let me know!

Do GP racers "graduate" to Supersport and Superbike, or are they totally different? Again, I'm just curious, and haven't met anyone around here (Calgary, not DRN!) that has the foggiest idea what they're talking about.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Your buddy has good connections - in the field of halucinagenics :p

Most Supersport/Superbike riders hope to advance to the GP's

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by canucklehead

I'm thinking the 125's put our around 60, and the 250's about 90. (The 500 GP's, about 120??)

I think you are correct however the 500's probably do a little more. Just a little.

ScotDT

Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by canucklehead
(The 500 GP's, about 120??) The reason I'm assuming they go like stink is because they're light.

Do GP racers "graduate" to Supersport and Superbike, or are they totally different

For the 500's (works), try 180hp! Don't know about the 125 and 250 works bikes, but The GP is the biggest of the lot, the F1 of motorcycle road racing. The guys earn BIG bucks. Obviously nowhere near as much as F1 drivers though.

Yamaha and Honda both make production GP road racers, both make a 125 and 250 while only Honda make a 500. They claim about 44hp for the 125, 92hp for the 250 and 130hp for the 500. These are the stock bike figures and max horsepower at the crank. The 125's weigh (again stock and claimed) about 71kg, 250's - 102kg and 500's - 109kg.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/news/2001-08-03/tz250-e.html
http://eur.yme.com/page.cfm?pageID=38574
http://eur.yme.com/page.cfm?pageID=38578

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Works 125s are claimed to be touching 50, but we are talking A factory riders here. Get down to a track & hang with the privateers. If you can get a go on a 125 it will blow your mind! Cornering speed is just silly.

250s are supposed to be high 90s+ & 180+ for the 500s is probably close, but it’s hard to tell where they are measuring it.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I had no idea that GP was 'higher' than supersport/bike. I guess I won't be so disappointed when SV shows GP races more than the other!

Those bikes can't be cheap! What's the ballpark for a stock production 125/250/500? Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend (hahaha)

Dave

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
GP Roadracing

I've been watching those guys for a while. I have a video of Mick Doohan on a Honda that's amazing. I can't remember the track, but Mick would enter a turn with the rear wheel in the air, and a haze of smoke coming out from under the front tire. That guy was phenomenal. I also have footage of a very frustrated Scott Russell throwing GP bikes down time after time. He never mastered the GP bikes. Hard to believe after his dominance of Superbike racing.

A motorcycle Grand Prix weekend is on my list of things to do before I die. So is the Isle of Man TT. I can't decide if the Isle of Man racers are brave or insane. :eek:

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Do a search on the web & you’ll find production prices for 125s & 250s. Of course to get a 500 or an A kit for the smaller bikes you usually have to be asked or paid, money alone won’t procure.

Watching it live is awesome. In 9 days I’m off to Philip Island in Australia to check it out.

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
Yup, the HP figures for the "Works Machines" are now right around 50, 100 and 200 for the three classes.

Of the three, the 500 class has the most variance. There are currently three different configurations, most commonly V4, V2 "production" bikes and the Kenny Roberts group's V3. Around 140 for the V2, 170 for the triple and 180~200 for the V4s. Weight restrictions are different for the three but I don't have the figures handy.

Next year should be interesting... Prototype four strokes will enter the field in the 500 class. Yamaha has theirs about ready and have shown competitive lap times in testing, Honda has a V5 that is reportedly putting out around 220HP (four strokes are allowed 1000cc).

GP racing is Formula 1 of the two wheeled world. Superbikes, are for everyone else.

Prices?

Well, I paid around 17K for my Yamaha TZ250L back in 88. Spent another 30K racing it for a season :scream: (Spent the next 5 years paying it off... jk)

Top Bottom