Grant Langstons Manager killed by Mountain Lion

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Quote from www.fullnoise.com.au

Grant Langstons manager killed
Monday, 12th January, 2004

US 125cc Motocross Champion Grant Langston’s manager Mark Reynolds has been killed by a mountain lion whilst mountain biking .
The Ornage County Register newspaper in California reported that A 110-pound mountain lion that authorities believe killed Reynolds and mauled a woman mountain biker was shot dead in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park late Thursday (Jan 7th).

Reynolds’ body was found near where the woman cyclist was attacked but an autopsy has yet to be performed to determine the cause of his death. Tests were also being done on both lions killed to determine if one of them killed Reynolds.

Reynolds was an account executive with OMS Sports in Anaheim.

“I can’t begin to tell you the amount of grief and pain our company and clients are suffering right now,” said OMS Sports President Fred Bramblett. “I’m numb. This is so unreal. Mark was a very loyal, very hard-working employee here at OMS Sports and will be sorely missed by all of those he came across.

“Such a tragic, tragic event.”

In addition to his love for motocross, Reynolds, 35, was an avid cyclist and competitive mountain bike racer. Just this past summer he won the California Race Series’ Rim Nordic Stage Race’s 35-39 expert class overall title – capturing the dirt criteria race and second place podium finishes in the cross country and hill climb events.

“This isn’t just a loss to OMS Sports, it’s a loss to the motocross industry in general,” added Bramblett. “Our heart-felt prayers go out to Mark’s family and friends.”

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I heard he was active in motocross but had know idea how involved he was. I just couldnt ever imagine being attacked by an animal like that. I wont repeat it here but the cause of death stated in the autopsy is pretty bad.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
very sad news.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Unreal! Heard about that the other day but had no idea who the guy was that got killed. The woman was supposedly being dragged away by the face with her friend pulling her by the legs, OMG! Hard to belive that a person in as good a shape as that could be taken out by a mountain lion only 110 lbs.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
I heard the interview on NPR with one of the guys that helped rescue the gal that was drug off her bike. Always a greivous thing. A Cat nearly always comes from above and behind using momemtum as an advantage. This is an animal that is able to bring down a bull elk and makes quick work of lesser mammals. In nearly all cases it is a juvenile that attacks a human. Bear in mind that this is a possibility in any of the western states and anyone that has ever taken a hike or trail ride may have been scoped out, even in developed areas. But also bear in mind there is not a cougar lurking just outa sight everytime you go out - the odds are way in our favor! The main thing is just be aware that it is a possibility, just like a house cat they most often will balk when confronted.

It is the one animal that kinda freaks me out at work here in the NW.
I am a Forester, work by myself - me and my dog anyway, deep in the hills almost everyday, way away from the rig and cell coverage. No face to face encounters in almost 30 years of forest land and wilderness travel - knock on wood, although I know I have been watched a time or two.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
I heard the interview on NPR with one of the guys that helped rescue the gal that was drug off her bike. Always a greivous thing. A Cat nearly always comes from above and behind using momemtum as an advantage. This is an animal that is able to bring down a bull elk and makes quick work of lesser mammals. In nearly all cases it is a juvenile that attacks a human. Bear in mind that this is a possibility in any of the western states and anyone that has ever taken a hike or trail ride may have been scoped out, even in developed areas. But also bear in mind there is not a cougar lurking just outa sight everytime you go out - the odds are way in our favor! The main thing is just be aware that it is a possibility, just like a house cat they most often will balk when confronted.

It is the one animal that kinda freaks me out at work here in the NW.
I am a Forester, work by myself - me and my dog anyway, deep in the hills almost everyday, way away from the rig and cell coverage. No face to face encounters in almost 30 years of forest land and wilderness travel - knock on wood, although I know I have been watched a time or two

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by KXTodd
Hard to belive that a person in as good a shape as that could be taken out by a mountain lion only 110 lbs.

I thought the same then i realized "what if my 4lb house cat weighed 110lb?" I probably wouldn't stand a chance, hell my 110 lb dog is weary of her too!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah, sad news, didn't know he was his manger though. :( Freaks me out to work the toll road at night, I feel like I'm being stalked! :scream:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Wow, closer to home than I though being a mxer. I wouldn't want to take on an angry 20 lb cat let alone a 110 lb with 20 slashing tools and teeth. Just thinking about I'm afraid I've soiled myself, gotta go.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Sorry to hear, very tragic.

Unfortunatly,....anything moving swiftly through a cats territory, can  trigger an attack.  :ugg:

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Wow, so much for the theory "they're more afraid of us than we are of them". This wasn't a kid, pet or frail little old lady, so it must've been an unusually agressive cat that took him out. Horrible way to go.

HobbRoff, in between me and you in Rocky Bay, a friend of mine found cougar tracks in the snow inside of her own recently. Thinks its the same one that visited her last year. I'm sure you know the area, between Victor & Vaughn, right on the water, so I don't think it's scared of people much.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
As it has been mentioned previously, Cougars are designed to take down large game (animals exceeding 800lbs). Aggression has nothing to do with the cats ability to take down a person (something that weighs maybe 200lbs)... it's called evolution. :cool:

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Tahuya Rat, know the area well, My wife grew up in Port Orchard out by the airport, family in Belfair, done some work for Penninsula Light. Yep, their around here, definitly not an endangered species.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

That's defanitely a horrible way to go. Every once in a while we find cougar or bear tracks right outside of our yard. Makes you kind of nervous when your alone outside!!!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by KXTodd
Hard to belive that a person in as good a shape as that could be taken out by a mountain lion only 110 lbs.

Big Cats are seven times stronger than us pound for pound. That would mean a 110lb. X 7 = 770 lb. of strength.

Very sad news :|

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
This was very sad news and it happens all the time in that general area, those hills and even the ones behind my house are just homes for hundreds of cats.

Not to long ago I had picked up my daughter from her friends house, it was way dark thirty and we were BS'n when we saw this jackrabbit run acrossed our headlights, 2 sec later this huge thing ( I later assumed it was a Mt. lion ) Jump from the bank on the right side of the road over the hood of my truck to the slope on the left, that had to be 40-50 ft, I hit the brakes ( i don't know what the hell for ) and we just shared at each other, couldn't believe that cat was affraid of my truck.

Now they are building houses and new schools all around the area and the animal rights people have assign a wildlife corridor that allows them to roam within 1/16 of a mile of all this new construction.

I guess the Mt. lions need a place for takeouts too ( humans the other white meat )

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Wow what a way to go. :(
Makes you think. Are we REALLY the dominate species???
Goes to prove wrong, even with our opposing thumbs.
God speed.
Joe

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Tragic.

When I hear the story, I thought the name was familar but didnt look further. I used to Mtn bike this exact canyon long befor *I* knew it was Whiting ranch, Long before Foothill ranch. We would stop and picnic in that scenic canyon. Now there are houses on the ridges surrounding the park and so much mtn bike traffic that I think the trails are marked as 1-way trails. I am surprised that with the amount of Mtn bike traffic the area gets, that the cat attacked like that.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
That is horrible news to hear. Langston is my favorite rider and i hopw that his riding does suffer from the loss of his manager. The next time i go riding i bet i will definitly take a few more precautions. Up where i live there are wolves, bears, coyotes, and some wild cats. Not sure what kind exactly but you can hear one of them every so often. Cruel, cruel, reality.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by pyrofreak
That is horrible news to hear. Langston is my favorite rider and i hopw that his riding does not suffer from the loss of his manager.
Dude, your perspective whacked... :|

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
I saw it on the news and was shocked! I didn't know his relation to our sport, what a bummer. Just a few nights later I saw about a 150 pound Mountion Lion run in front of my car just about a mile down the creek from my house.
I still think it's safer with Mountain Lions than with a lot of flatlanders out riding. Sorry had to say it!
dj

Top Bottom